Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:59 AM

146 posts, read 1,010,954 times

Advertisements

cheap? It's bad enough that a license plate is $78.00, I wouldn't pay extra to have it personalized. (Coming off a month that I had both car tags and car insurance due for two cars!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 19,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
In the 70s, vanity plates in Ill did not cost extra. I considered getting one myself. Perhaps a lot of people just kept them after they started charging.
pittnurse70 is correct. I've had personal license plates for over 47 years now and there was never any extra charge for them until a few years ago when the corrupt politicians realized how much money the state could make by charging for them. I just got mine last month and I now have to pay $85 a year for them.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
When I lived in Chicago the plates were cheap so long as they had a number in them. If you didn't have a number, they were like an extra $70 which is what I paid for "KEVS CAR" which is still on the front of my car here in Georgia (no issued front plates here). Custom plates here in GA are not expensive but the process is a bit harder- you go to the tag office, apply and wait for several weeks. I could not get KEVS CAR here but I did get KS KEV (I am a KU fan).

Old 07-08-2007, 05:00 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Illinois drivers really love their license plates. I remember reading an article somewhere that "low-numbered" plates are highly prized and sought-after. Not sure why...

Old 07-10-2007, 05:26 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Illinois state officials approved all kinds of wild vanity plates. Ohio's state DMV website will automatically reject all kinds of appeals ... the DMV will refuse to have a person even consider them.

Until the new plate series came out, Michigan was jamming 7-8 alphanumberics on the old solid blue plates. YUCK!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:57 AM

9 posts, read 33,630 times
Default too many choices

I just read an article from the State that said we have 60 different plate choices [not including special cause limited date plates] here in Illinois, with those and all of the personal quips put on them I can see how it adds up. Personally I wont pay the extra to personalize mine, I give the state enough money anyway.
Have a good one, Judi

Old 07-15-2007, 12:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times
I just paide $85 for mine ..........and when it comes time to renue they are GONE!! I think Im part air head ..seriously my husband is soo mad at me for getting them...... everyone puts there birth year with there name ............

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE BORN IN 1969!! bad bad bad ... If one more man drives up licking his lips .. I think I will puke!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM

18 posts, read 81,852 times
What's so wrong to have vanity license?

It's being creative , they still have to pay $78.00 for licenses.

I like the one "jetlag" ...that's how I feel now , flew home yesterday

on plane most the day , on a lousy airplane , I wouldn't recommend

US Airlines , nightmare .......

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 49,238 times
In my opinion Illinois had an ingenious idea when specialty license plates became available. Although they're 25.00 more than a vanity plate, that money goes to the organization represented on the plate. The owner not only donates to a charity of choice such as: Organ Donation, Illinois Hospice, Firefighter Memorial just to name a few--there are currently 33 in all--the plates have a higher collectors value. The most clever one I've seen is an Organ Donation plate: B ONE I would assume this specific plate has an additional charge since it doesn't have any numbers in it as this is the case with regular vanity plates.
The biggest laugh I've ever gotten from an Illinois plate was the time I was in Pittsburgh and witnessed a black and yellow card, with an Illinois license plate: PIRATES No doubt every Pirate fan in PA was green with envy and no doubt the driver felt the extra cost was worth every penny while he visited PA--as for when he drove in Illinois......
I've always been impressed with our Secretary of State, Jesse White, but when he introduced this idea, it's simply ingenious. I'm surprised more states haven't grabbed on to this idea.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
My least favorite plate in the region is the Indiana "In God We Trust Plate." It is typically seen on the back of either plodding minivans or maniacs in big trucks. Hmm, I've even seen one with "69" on it. I would call it Hoosier humor, but it's probably just the usual Hoosier Lack of Any Clue Whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois