Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 27,340 times

Advertisements

To the person that wants to move to Oswego, Illinois...
If you are smart you don't move into Oswego.......Our taxes keep getting higher every year....We have more people that are putting up their houses for sale..
We have over crowd schools & they keep building more schools & more fire stations......We now have to many stores off of route 34....And the traffic is terrible.....I live in Oswego since 1969....They are trying to competent with Naperville ...What is funny is Naperville people move to Oswego to get away from high taxes.....Now they are trying to move out of Oswego...
And plainfield is no better if you are smart go to Lisbon or minooka or newark...Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 AM

220 posts, read 672,361 times
I would suggest Kankakee County to anyone looking for a rural area near Chicago..

Old 04-16-2007, 02:06 PM

146 posts, read 1,008,974 times
Community colleges in southern Illinois are so political in their hiring practices, it is difficult to break into that system. You might try adjunct teaching, the smaller colleges will hire adjuncts all day long. But realize that it may not be the stepping stone into full time work that you think it is. (The voice of experience here.)

Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM

169 posts, read 776,517 times
I'd look into the areas east of St. Louis-- Troy, Highland, Edwardsville, O'Fallon. It's a nice area with some community colleges and nonprofits, and of course the job market of St. Louis nearby.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:20 AM

30 posts, read 167,199 times
Thumbs up Southern Il.

Compared to other places our cost of living is pretty cheap and we do have SIU and John A Logan College here.....There are TONS of outdoor things to do here as well.......You can look up my other posts to look at all the pics from SO IL outdoors. We have Shawnee National Forest, Garden of the Gods, Rend Lake State Park, Crab Orchard Lake , Lake of Egypt, Kinkaid Lake, Little Grassy Lake, Devil's Kitchen Lake, Giant City State Park, and so on........We have Interstate 57 going right through Marion as well as I24 branching off just south of Marion. Paducah Ky. is only 45 mins away and Mt Vernon is only 45 mins. away. St louis is 2 hours away and is the closest International Airport, though Marion's Airport is offering flights to Chicago now... Alot of people here treat people like family...Marion and Carbondale both are nice towns and I don't think finding a duplex under 1200 would be a problem here!!! I have seen nice homes for rent for around 800 here! In Carbondale it might be a little more, but they got duplex, apartments and homes for rent all over town because of the college....Our first apartment we had only cost 260 with everything included but electric!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 AM

19 posts, read 97,668 times
Smile Outdoors in Homewood

Be sure to check out Homewood! There is Isaak Walton preserve, Irons Oaks, and other great out door activities, about 90 minutes east of Starved Rock. My sister and brother inlaw take their kids there frequently. There are also several community colleges in the area, within a 45 minute radius. Homewood is a 35 minute train ride to the loop, yet has a small town atmosphere with larger town ammenities. The population is educated and professional. Check out the website www.HFisgreat.com

Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM

551 posts, read 3,112,556 times
Try going further south into southern Illinois! Property values are cheap, taxes are cheap, and you get friendliness that you don't get in the northern part of the state. There is actually scenery and it is beautiful for doing outdoor activities (hiking, rock climbing, biking, etc.). A couple good friends of mine were lifelong Chicago residents and recently moved to the Carbondale area for all of the reasons I stated...and they LOVE IT! I grew up in the southeast portion of Illinois and would recommend it, if you don't mind lots of small towns. Evansville, Indiana was only about 40 minutes away and they have a lot to offer.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 11,663 times
Default McHenry, IL

Check out McHenry, IL. Housing is reasonable and there is McHenry County College and Elgin Community College. There are plenty of non profit organizations too. Check out the UnitedWay of McHenry County for a list....

Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 27,374 times
Ever thought of Champaign-Urbana?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,248 times
My family moved from Joliet to Gardner 15 years ago when our son was 4 years old. Best move we ever made. My husband and I grew up in Joliet, but I never considered it my home. Gardner is my home. Everybody knows everybody and looks out for each other. The old saying it takes a village to raise a child, well this is certainly the right village. Great people, I highly recomment Gardner, IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois