Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,288,604 times

Advertisements

Are there any nice areas in streator? We took a visit there and went into that riverview cemetery to look for a gravestone because of genealogy research. that cemetery is very old and there are lots of civil war and spanish-amer war vets buried there BTW.
But we drove farther (east?) on 18 or main street. We stopped at a gas station that was very very seed looking and behind the counter they were selling crack pipes.
It is ALL that bad? There must be a new section. Did that walmart ever go in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 PM

98 posts, read 452,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Are there any nice areas in streator?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
It is ALL that bad?
Yes.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,772 times
Default Moving to Streator

I moved away from family and friends in Streator in 1981. Although I miss my family - I have no regrets. It was evident to me - even in high school - that Streator had nothing to offer me culturally or financially. As I have gone back for visits, it deeply saddens me to see the state my little town is in. It is extremely obvious that the wrong people are in power. Terrible decions have been made, at the expense of future generations. Or should I say - NO future generations. No-one with any brains - stays in Streator - which is why a majority of the graduating students move! And if they don't move, most of them will not even continue onto college - so that they can be a better asset to their communities, and provide a better means for them selves.
The beautiful "brick" buildings & streets, have been demolished. Streator could have been a great little river front tourist town with antique shops, restaurants, coffee houses, and a river front hotel for weekend getaways, with an area for paddle boats etc.... But instead, they've taken all the history of the town away, and replaced it with strip malls.
I am however, thrilled to hear that the movie theatre is being refurbished, and the high school looks fantastic!
There is so much more I could say, but the main point is "don't move there!"
Unless the powers that be - are removed, and some financial backers come into town, and turn it around - Streator has nothing to offer you.
Signed, Moved to Los Angeles

Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 AM

8 posts, read 22,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
one found stuffed in a drain pipe,
i remember that happened in the early 80's also. behind a school.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 AM

18 posts, read 85,560 times
What was once a thriving, lively town is now a mere shadow of its former self. Although I have never lived there and I have not been there since 2004, my aunt and uncle lived there for awhile and I would make frequent visits to go see them. The town consists of the majority of individuals being working class, and many are not friendly to "outsiders." Many times I find some adults, even children, staring at me. Awkward! My aunt and uncle got along great with everyone so I guess after awhile everyone gets to know you, its ok. The town does not have a great economy, but it is improving slightly. The unsolved murders have always freaked me out about the town a bit, and there are definitley drug problems in some areas. And there is no nightlife, and not much to do downtown. Heck, the movie theater has not even been there for a decade! On the other hand, it is a quiet and peaceful town in many areas and it has a small town sort of feel (once people get to know you). Although not exactly close by anything, a 45 min drive takes you to DeKalb and Sycamore, which has more to do. All in all, it is an interesting town that has its appeal, but it does not last long when you see the situation in Streator. I would not live there, Ottawa, Sycamore, or Morris have much more to offer.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:59 PM

202 posts, read 268,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeBiker278 View Post
What was once a thriving, lively town is now a mere shadow of its former self. Although I have never lived there and I have not been there since 2004, my aunt and uncle lived there for awhile and I would make frequent visits to go see them. The town consists of the majority of individuals being working class, and many are not friendly to "outsiders." Many times I find some adults, even children, staring at me. Awkward! My aunt and uncle got along great with everyone so I guess after awhile everyone gets to know you, its ok. The town does not have a great economy, but it is improving slightly. The unsolved murders have always freaked me out about the town a bit, and there are definitley drug problems in some areas. And there is no nightlife, and not much to do downtown. Heck, the movie theater has not even been there for a decade! On the other hand, it is a quiet and peaceful town in many areas and it has a small town sort of feel (once people get to know you). Although not exactly close by anything, a 45 min drive takes you to DeKalb and Sycamore, which has more to do. All in all, it is an interesting town that has its appeal, but it does not last long when you see the situation in Streator. I would not live there, Ottawa, Sycamore, or Morris have much more to offer.
I have absolutely no problem with working class; that definitely doesn't have to make a town a craphole. I don't even have a problem with small towns where people who aren't local get "noticed," it's the tradeoff of having a tightknit community, and you do eventually gain a degree of acceptance in such a community if you want to and make an effort. But what's so nasty about Streator is the somewhat inexplicable seediness, which really seems out of place for a town of its demographic and size.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 AM

18 posts, read 85,560 times
Yeah, I meant more along the lines of there are a lot of working class people because of the lack of good paying jobs in the area unfortunately. And no the class does not necessarily predict how people will act; it was nice to see how after the town got used to aunt and uncle and there were a lot of great people. I just wish the natives were a little bit friendlier though just because the coldness might turn off some people, I know it did for me to a certain extent. And yeah the seediness factor is a big turn off. It is a shame just to look in the books and see how amazing Streator used to be, and how much it has changed.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 24,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
here is a website, more a forum if you like in Streator. It is Streatoronline. Local folks go there to chat about everything. Read the forums, then decide for yourself if you still want to move there. Good luck in whatever decision you make. Click on message board and it will take you to the forums where you want to be.
Nice link!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,359 times
[quote=gardener34;1173097]Are there any nice areas in streator? [quote]

Yes, actually there are. The North side of streator is about the nicest. There are many new subdivisions going up there.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoo View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone would knowingly WANT to move to Streator. Unless you are a recluse and just want 100 acres of farmland, never want to step foot off it, and want to be left alone? Or you raise soybeans?

The reality is that it's just another small farming community in the middle of nowhere. Be prepared to commute to work, up to 1.5 hours away, to get to cilvilization. Be prepared to drive half an hour to get to a grocery store. Many small towns in this area and a bit close minded and way behind in times. No nightlife or entertainment, and VERY limited dining options. This is an area of Illinois that has parades when a new Walmart opens...

Of course, if you are that recluse and don't need employment, you can get a bunch of land for dirt cheap.
Schmoo, I am not trying to attack you but have you ever been to Streator? By the sound of the post you are either exagerating quite a bit or have never been there. I am not sure of the number of grocery stores in Streator but I know there are atleast four. That may not be as many as a place like Joliet or Chicago however, for a smaller town that is plenty. Also, I live in the area and I have never found 100 acres of farmland around here. Also I could name atleast a dozen resturaunts in this "town with nothing". Also, I am sure that someone could find a job closer that 1 1/2 hours away. Some big companies that Streator has is Owens, Vactor, US Food Service, and Dependable. Along with quite a few small businesses. Also Bloomington is about 50mins away. ISU is there. Then there is Peru and Ottawa. Both are about 30-40 mins from Streator and they have many jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois