Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,016 times

Advertisements

This is what im going to say about all this hatin aobut streator. IF YOU DON'T LIKE STREATOR STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!!!!!! You don't have to come here we don't mind.

I have lived here my whole life born and rasied its not that bad of a place to be. I have 2 kids that im raising in this town and they like it to. I can't say that i have wanted out of here i have do to the employment but that is everywhere. the only thing i can say is if you want to move to streator that is up to you. if you believe everything you hear about the murders here it is everywhere to. all i can say is try it if you like it that is good if not you atleast tried.

Oh yeah if you believed everything you hear well than i wouldn't want to live in illionis because we have had a bad govonor in office. That would be the samething on moving to a different state makeing it seem all that bad when it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
What?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,878 times
My family and I moved to streator this year from Ottawa, and they have realy cracked down on the drug trade in streator. They are really cleaning this place up, Ottawa is the new streator, drugs are everywhere in ottawa, the grade schools are very good, and the jr high is good i have 3 kids in grade school and 1 in jr high

Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM

77 posts, read 273,718 times
I dont know much about Streator and have never been there. The only time I ever hear anyting about it is when one of those public anouncements come on saying a child has been abducted from somewhere in Streator (which is quite frequently).

Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 9,878 times
I am "Chevy's wife" & I have mixed opinions. We've only been here 3 months almost & I have metmany friendly ppl in passing. I must say I dont see near as many "thugs" as I do in Ottawa. They seem much less judgemental over here. I have read the blogs reguarding the "unsolved crimes/murders...it seems to me that we are the ones who elect the police & other officials in this town & that we should get some more qualified ppl in law enforcement here. I think when the new Walmart coming will bring more business to follow. It seems that it's cleaned up alot from what it used to be. Its had a bad rep which means us as a community need to work hard to change that. I'd live here before I would EVER consider Ottawa. We do need to bring in more businesses to provide employment. There are some really nice homes over here for cheap & plenty of places to rent. We live on the far east side & we have a lovely quaint neighborhood. The school, at least Oakland Park is family oriented yet a little on the strict side. My oldest daughter attends Northlawn Jr. High & LOVES it. This town has the potential to be a wonderful place to live. It's up to the ppl to make the nessasary changes.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,857 times
Hi I'm new to the forum but I've been reading the threads for some information on topics and out of curiousity. I'm from the Streator area and so I figured it was time to register finally and throw in my two cents. Streator is typically not the town of social acceptance and is commonly followed with the slogan "Keep your peter out of streetor" when its name is mentioned. The surrounding area of towns such as La Salle Peru, Mendota, Ottawa, etc. are very nice towns that are all generally formed from bussiness from the river or railroads and farming. All of the towns, because of their small size are usually pretty tightly knit communities (they veiw their communities as the epicenter of the world) and you will probably be welcomed very akwardly into the community at first, but after a few short years I'm possitive you will be comfortable.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,922,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Streator is a nice little town kind of in the middle of nowhere.
Having lived in Boise and central IL, you might be disappointed in Streator. And as far as Streator being in the middle of nowhere...Boise is the most remote large city in the U.S. You are less than 2 hours to Chicago from Streator. In Boise, you're 6 hours from everywhere! But you can't beat the scenery and the outdoor life of the west.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,630 times
Streator is a great place to live!!

It has a real small town feel with all of the ammenities of a large city. The people here are very friendly, much more friendly than other towns I've lived. Most here will give you the shirt off their backs if you are in need. It's no wonder that each and every year, giving campaigns (United Way, Jerry's Kids) meet and exceed their goal for giving. The town is full of giving caring people. Streator is also benefitted by many large Church organizations that help around town.

Streator has gained a bad reputation in the past years, but things are getting much better. Our police have made great strides in keeping the "wrong people" out of town. I don't see as many "thugs" around. Most importantly, I feel safe in Streator. Oh yeah, Streator has a very

I don't have any problem raising my children in this town. Schools are great, and although there isn't much for kids to do, I feel they are safe and have the resources for success.

As for those on here who knock this town. Consider what type of life these people must have. So sad. I am here to merely defend my hometown. It is a good place. And the Person who stated "people with any kind of brain don't come back to Streator", I say you are wrong and uneducated yourself. There are many more educated people in our town than you may think. My wife and I both have College degrees and we are more than happy in our hometown. There are many, many more young people in our situation.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,998 times
http://www.mypictureshare.com/img/u/P.gifHi I'm new to the forum but I've been reading the threads for some information on topics and out of curiousity. I'm from the Streator area and so I figured it was time to register finally and throw in my two cents.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,282,744 times
I stopped in Streator once, specifically for family information, doing research. And parts looked OK in the older areas, but we did stop in one gas station where they were selling crack pipes. I hope this is not indicative of most of the town. I am glad to hear they are cleaning up their act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois