Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 71,067 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some information about Streator IL. I am planning to move there from Boise Idaho. What kind of school system do they have; is it a friendly town? What kind of employment opportunities are there? Is the town growing? Is it a clean town? How is the drug and crime rate? Which part of town would it be better to raise my kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 01:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Streator is a nice little town kind of in the middle of nowhere. I don't really think there is a "bad" part of Streator. It's sort of Norman Rockwell-ish from corner to corner.

The problem may come with the "middle of nowhere" part. It's not really near any of the state's larger metropolitan areas, which can substantially limit your employment opportunities. I don't know specifically what the employment situation is in Streator or the surrounding areas or what kind of work you're looking for. But a quick Yellow Pages search turned up a handful of employment agencies in town. You might want to contact them to get a feel for what's available in the area and send them resumes in advance of your arrival.

Two good resources to get information on specific schools and school districts are schoolmatters.com and greatschools.net. Best to see the data for yourself as you're in the best position to know which attributes are important and which aren't.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 PM

453 posts, read 1,621,318 times
you are wrong, I lived in Streator for 40 years and had to get out. There is no employment there. The crime rate is ridiculous for murders, especially UNSOLVED MURDERS, look up Dalton Mesarchick, an 8 year old boy abducted in his front yard found murdered. This is a terrible town to bring children up in. There is nothing there, only a KMART. Businesses are moving out of that town. I could tell you more if you want. Ottawa a town 16 miles north of Streator is an excellent town, businesses booming, beautiful downtown. You name it, they have it. PM me if you like.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Oh puh-leeze. Three murders since 1999 in a city of 15,000 is not exactly an epidemic. The crime rate in Streator is well below the national average for every year that data is available on the city-data website. Streator may not be paradise, but it's hardly the Hell on Earth you're making it out to be either.

I'm not surprised to hear about the employment situation, however.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 PM

I beg to differ with you but there are more than 3 murders since 1999. One a child, one found stuffed in a drain pipe, no arrest, one woman beaten with a baseball bat in her home (I worked with her) found by her son, an intruder, no arrest, another found at Spring Lake Road, an older gentleman, no arrest, one just killed his wife, he was arrested, another killed his wife on new years eve again he was arrested, another disappeared to find his body parts, no arrest, lots of gang violence there. So oh puh-leeze? I lived there for over 40 years, I do know what I am talking about. One kid just arrested for taking a needle to the high school and stabbing students with it. I could go on and on but it is not worth arguing about, if this person moves there, it would be my opinion that he is making a mistake, but then that is my opinion.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM

Oh I forgot to add that for a town of 15,000 that is a lot of crime and there is more but who has the time to list it all?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM

here is a website, more a forum if you like in Streator. It is www.streatoronline.com. Local folks go there to chat about everything. Read the forums, then decide for yourself if you still want to move there. Good luck in whatever decision you make. Click on message board and it will take you to the forums where you want to be.

Last edited by shadow91; 04-03-2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 PM

220 posts, read 672,191 times
I have spent a lot of time in Streator over the years, it is NOT a place I would choose to move to, in that area there are better options such as Ottawa and Morris. The schools are not very good, the economy is struggling and the tailspin doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 PM

Amen to that!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 13,784 times
Streator is not that bad of a place i have lived here for years yes we dont have much to offer but if you dont want to live in the big city its perfect. Its also had alot of improvements. We are getting a walmart supercenter and there has been a large employment jump. The school systems are not that great but are getting better. The murders are everywhere if you want to do the whole murders count thing go for it theres more unsolved murders in chicago why dont you bash them? Dalton was a member of my family and i know how it feels but people lose there family daily its part of life im sure its everywhere not just streator just unless you live here now keep your mouth shut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois