Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times

Advertisements

Just sharing some photos I took a few weeks back, figured Id share them so folks who are interested in Galena can get an idea of the area. These photos hardly show the town (too much to photograph) in its entirity, but should give a general idea.

The ride in is at times steep and treacherous, this is Rt. 20 westbound, about 25 miles outside of Galena (nice drive, very scenic!):

Steep inclines/declines and lots of blind curves = FUN for sporting drivers like myself:

Part of Main St. Note the homes way up on the hillside:

Sunset from a ridgeline drive:

One of the massive staircases that lead up to the bed n' breakfasts up on the hill (some of the best architecture in the midwest is in Galena):

In one of the valleys:

Some local homes:

View from the drive in:

VERY peaceful in Galena!

Artsy shot:

Small portion of Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/ChestnutMountainskilifts.jpg (broken link)

View from another bluff:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 PM

5,655 posts, read 11,209,023 times
Nice pics of Galena, Steve-o. I visited there once about 15 years ago during mid spring and enjoyed walking all around the town. Not near the number of cars on the downtown streets then as shown in your pics - I must have been there on a weekday. Galena is also famous as home of U S Grant, did you stop by his house?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Nice pics of Galena, Steve-o. I visited there once about 15 years ago during mid spring and enjoyed walking all around the town. Not near the number of cars on the downtown streets then as shown in your pics - I must have been there on a weekday. Galena is also famous as home of U S Grant, did you stop by his house?
Actually Galena was home to 9 Civil War generals, the other 8 I forgot. 15 years ago, eh? Youd be amazed at how much the town has changed, but youd also be amazed how much it hasnt. Hard to explain. LOL

Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,710,546 times
Your pics make me homesick for NW Illinois. I lived in Freeport for 12 years, and spent a lot of time in Galena.

Thanks for posting them!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Your pics make me homesick for NW Illinois. I lived in Freeport for 12 years, and spent a lot of time in Galena.

Thanks for posting them!
Glad you enjoyed them! Where are you now?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM

I live in Nashville now.

My kids laugh when I tell them I miss the non-polluted air of NW Illinois. I loved how sweet the air smelled.

The only time it didn't was if the wind was coming up out of the South, it would pass over a large pig farm on the Southern edge of Freeport.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I live in Nashville now.

My kids laugh when I tell them I miss the non-polluted air of NW Illinois. I loved how sweet the air smelled.

The only time it didn't was if the wind was coming up out of the South, it would pass over a large pig farm on the Southern edge of Freeport.
Nashville, huh? I lived in Clarksville, TN (about 45 minutes north of Nashville), so I know exactly what youre talking about. I could only stomach TN for 1/2 a year, then I retreated back home. LOL

Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 AM

14,284 posts, read 14,521,182 times
Love those photos, Steve! I love the Galena area although I haven't visited for a couple of years. I love just being there, walking around, I'm one of those gawking tourists, not buying much!!! :-(

I'm also one of those trying to decide where to live in a few years, as in getting out of Lake County, Illinois. Galena certainly has grown though, I remember years ago (many) driving US 20 when there was a sign saying congratulations, you survived US20! It was all 2 lane then and scarey.

Four years ago I took early retirement at 55, stayed home, visited family (in Iowa and Michigan) then realized more money would be a good thing so I am working for Manpower at Abbott's.

In a few years when I am closer to 62, I would love to be in a small town somewhere and I have not ruled out Galena! Looked at Freeport, Sterling, Rock Falls and Dixon and decided I didn't want to be there. Checked out Byron last weekend and liked it but not much for sale there really, lots of stuff on the edge of town, new, condos etc. I didn't like Oregon as well as Byron.

I have time to look yet and need to get out to Galena again, too!

Last edited by susancruzs; 04-08-2007 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: paragraphing

Old 04-08-2007, 11:39 AM

365 posts, read 1,249,047 times
Love the pics, Steve-o. They confirmed our desire to keep looking in the Galena area for a retirement home (which we'd like to get serious about some time this year).

But there are questions I can't seem to get answers to: What's it like to live in such a touristy town? Does the number of tourists really interfere with day-to-day living? Is it always so crowded on Main St? Do Galena residents just avoid the downtown for certain months of the year? Is there shopping other than the touristy places? Anything other than Wal Mart?

Thx to anyone who answers these.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Were you in the Army Steve?

So far I like it here, my winter coat is a wind=breaker. :-D

Carol, there is shopping outside of the downtown area. If you need more, DuBuque Iowa is nearby, and I always loved my trips to Madison WI. I think you will like NW Illinois a lot! You can't beat it for scenic beauty. And good people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois