Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

I am 27 years old and moving to the Twin Cities for a job. I have never lived in Ill and wanted to know if any has any suggestions for a suitable apt. One that is not all college students but also not all families. Preferably one where young working adults live.

Another thing I was wondering about is meeting people, places to go, ect. I will know no one in the area when i move and it would be nice to know where the best places about town are.

Any other suggestions you may think of are appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM

148 posts, read 624,076 times
Hi, while not comprehensive, here's a few suggestions.

B-N Apt. living - Here's a few places some friends have lived that were close to what you're looking for. 1) Franklin Park neighborhood - old historic neighborhood around Franklin Park & near Illinois Weslyan U. Nice older homes & rental units. Some college students there but younger working professionals too. 2) I had a friend who had good experiences with Goose Creek apts a few years ago, which is just off S Main Str. (US-51) in bloomington (just N of I-55). There are some other apts in that area too. 3) There's a number of apts. just off Main St in Normal (just S of I-55) that are fairly decent.

There's many others too, these are just the ones that I've heard decent things from people who've lived there. Generally, the closer you get to ISU the more college students you'll have as neighbors.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM

148 posts, read 624,076 times
Default Things to do

As far as meeting people/things to do a few thoughts -

Because of ISU, you'll always run into loads of college students. However, there are a fair number of 20 - 30 something working professionals (& grad students) in B-N as well, they're always there, you just notice them more during ISU's breaks . Just a few thoughts off the top of my head -

1) If you're into more physical/outdoor activities, there's a bike/walking trail (Constitution Trail) that runs through the center of B/N. There's also a rock climbing gym that's located in an old grain elevator. Additionally, there's two nice lakes, Evergreen Lake & Bloomington Lake with some hiking, boating, biking, fishing opportunities. Both lakes are just north of B-N on the east & west side of I-39 (respectively). I think you can even rent boats/canoes at Evergreen Lake.

2) If you're into the bar/band scene, there's a row of bars (some with live music on the weekends) starting at the corner of market & n Main street in Bloomington. There's another row just south of the county courthouse along W Washington Street (between Madison & East st). There's, of course, alot of college kids that hang out here, but also a good number of 20 - 30 somethings.

3) For some art/indie/classic movies, theres the Normal theater (a old rennovated movie house in downtown Normal) Normal Theater. There also used be to a theater like this in Bloomington call the Castle Theater, but I'm not sure if it's still open.

B-N, for some reason, seems to be the restaurant capital of Central Illinois, so there's PLENTY of places to eat.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scio42 View Post
Hi, while not comprehensive, here's a few suggestions.

B-N Apt. living - Here's a few places some friends have lived that were close to what you're looking for. 1) Franklin Park neighborhood - old historic neighborhood around Franklin Park & near Illinois Weslyan U. Nice older homes & rental units. Some college students there but younger working professionals too. 2) I had a friend who had good experiences with Goose Creek apts a few years ago, which is just off S Main Str. (US-51) in bloomington (just N of I-55). There are some other apts in that area too. 3) There's a number of apts. just off Main St in Normal (just S of I-55) that are fairly decent.

There's many others too, these are just the ones that I've heard decent things from people who've lived there. Generally, the closer you get to ISU the more college students you'll have as neighbors.
I'll second that! the apartments in the older homes around franklin park are amazing! Beautiful area. . . I have always been fond of B/N. . . went to school there, lived there as a "townie" after graduation. . . it's not the "hippest" community in the world, nor the most conservative. . . a real mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois