Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 29,042 times

Advertisements

My mom is moving to the area from out of state. She's looking to spend about $150,000 on a house and she wants low taxes. She doesn't mind being out in the boon docks, in fact, that's what she prefers. She's close to retirement but she's going to need to get a job for a couple years that provides insurance until she gets medicare. I was thinking she should check out Dixon and Oregon IL. I was even thinking about Chesterton IN. Any other ideas? I want to make sure she's in a safe area.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Employment options get pretty thin downstate, I suspect employers with healthcare even thinner. While Geneva itself is pretty pricey place to buy I would suggest renting might be an option, and if she looks just a bit outside the school district limits rents could be downright cheap.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM

She doesn't want to rent. She doesn't mind working some place like Walmart just for the insurance benefits.

Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:25 PM

If she has cash to buy a place for $150K she still might find something "out in the boondocks" but MUCH closer to Geneva than Dixon...

Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM

She might find something closer but the property taxes would be higher. She's on a limited income and she has a thing about property taxes. She freaks when I tell her that the property taxes are $6000 + out here.

There must be some cute little towns where she could find an inexpensive house with lower property taxes. She will have cash to pay and she would prefer a place that's vacant so she could move right away.

Do you know what the deal is for seniors and property taxes in the state of illinois? I read that there are 3 exemptions that you can apply for but I don't understand it all.

Thanks for any ideas that you might have.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM

If her income qualifies she gets a freeze. Low enough she can defer the taxes.

The senior exemption is tiny but still something.

Everyone that is lives in owner occupied home gets homestead.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
She might like Sandwich or McHenry. Sandwich is more rural and less pricey in the county and it is less than an hour from Galena. I am older than your mother. I always liked this town because I could relax and enjoy it for what it was - a basic farm town. I liked McHenry's heavily forested area and neat lawns = but that was before the housing boom. It is larger now and more upscale than Sandwich. It is on the Fox River but I do not know how far it is from Galena.

Walmart does not offer insurance or stock options to part time employees. The Walmarts' of the world succeed because the majority of the work force is part-time. Perhaps your mother would reconsider paying less of a house in exchange for using part of the money she saves to supplement her income. The houses in Sandwich and the taxes should be less expensive than McHenry.

Low taxes in IL - unless she buys a pre 1900 home - is an oxymoron.

I am quite serious when I say this. IF she wants low taxes SW MO is an ideal location. She can buy an awesome house in Carthage for under $100K. The trade-off is lousy medical care. But she can no doubt find work at Walmart, Braums, or at any number of fast food restaurants, chicken plant or one of the laundries. It is as beautiful as Fox River Valley and it has the most awesome hardware store in the US. It also has awesome city services because the city owns it. The police are as much tour guides as law enforcement. It is a progressive town about 10 hours from Galena depending upon the route. Its a Maple Leaf City and Main Street City, and its won some other awards. A couple of years ago the city finished expanding the golf course to 18 holes. And the weather is not as severe as northern Illinois. It is within 150 miles of upscale shopping at KC, Tulsa, Sprinfield. Lake of the Ozark's or Joplin.

IF I was going to chose a small twon with low taxes I would go to Grove, OK because it is retirement area and the hospital is much better than in Carthage. MY all time favorite is the Village of Peoria Heights. It is probably 3 hours from Galena, but I know your mother can work and most likely have insurance too.

Finding a house isn't as hard as the taxes. She will qualify for homestead but she won't qualify for a senior discount until she is 65. There is a discount for handicapped and if she pays more for the house than the market price. I managed to wangle mine down $1700 When I lived in Carthage my real estate and personal taxes were $450.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM

434 posts, read 1,159,644 times
Maybe Maple Park?! (it's halfway between DeKalb and Geneva along Route 38) or as someone has mentioned, communities in southern DeKalb County probably offer more affordable housing.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Galena is nowhere near Geneva...

Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
She could check out Sycamore or Elburn or even Maple Park for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois