Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 PM

406 posts, read 859,918 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview coming up for an opportunity in Fairview Heights. I don't know much about Fairvire Heights and I was wondering if there anything in specific that I should know about the city. Bad place to work, good place to work? Good/Bad place to live. I've started doing a web search, but I thought that I would ask the forum as some people here might have insight to my question I couldn't find elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,739,138 times
I have a sister-in-law who has lived there for about 50 years and she loves it. The shopping is really good and there are tons of eateries.....and it's only a short drive to St. Louis, Belleville, Alton, etc.

I've never lived there but I like to shop and eat there!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM

81 posts, read 326,220 times
I just moved to F.H. 2 weeks ago and LOVE it. It's a town with a population of under 20k yet it feels like more due to all the stores and restaurants in the area. It is right off the expressway and it only takes 20 minutes into St. Louis and is only 6 miles from Belleville, which is where the courthouse and DMV are located. There are several rental communities in the area, PM if you'd like to know more about that...Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM

767 posts, read 2,056,849 times
Fairview is essentially a suburb of St. Louis. It is only about 15 miles to downtown, but, in many ways, still has the small town feeling. I think that it is in a really good location and it is affordable to live there.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 AM

711 posts, read 2,098,420 times
^ No, it doesn't. Fairview Heights is very much suburban. It in no way shape or form has the "small town feeling."

I lived there from Sep 07 to April 08 and wife and me loved it. I wanted to move to the city and get closer to work, etc, so I love where I moved to even more...but can't complain a bit about Fairview.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM

767 posts, read 2,056,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
^ No, it doesn't. Fairview Heights is very much suburban. It in no way shape or form has the "small town feeling."

I lived there from Sep 07 to April 08 and wife and me loved it. I wanted to move to the city and get closer to work, etc, so I love where I moved to even more...but can't complain a bit about Fairview.

It was several years ago when I lived in that area, so you are probably right about the small town feeling being gone by now.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:49 AM

711 posts, read 2,098,420 times
^ Definitely...it is probably the only "cookie cutter" type of suburb that I like for some reason, probably just because the fond memories I have from my 8 months living there...but it is definitely just a suburb now.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,213,360 times
Seems like a great place to me. I've decided to build there.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 26,775 times
Fairview Heights is all suburban now, no small town feel. But there is a good amount of shops and restaurants if that's what you're looking for. I would be careful getting a place in Belleville. It seems to have gone downhill a lot. I live in O'fallon now, and like that. Only 5-10 min or so from Fairview.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 PM

124 posts, read 368,043 times
I'm from neighboring O'Fallon. For the most part, Fairview Heights certainly does feel like your average white bread suburb. Tons of chain stores, a decent regional mall (people from all over Southern IL come to shop here), a good mix of newer and older housing, and plenty of dining options (I've heard repeatedly that Fairview has the highest per-capita number of restaurants in the nation). I definitely prefer O'Fallon because it's somewhat more upscale and has that feel of a booming exurban town that I love for some reason, but I think you would be happy with Fairview. As a general rule of thumb, stay east of Illinois 159.

What is your price range for housing, where is the job you're interviewing for, etc. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois