Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 23,318 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

First, I visited the area and found a place to live. I was rushed, as I didn't have as much time as I would have liked, and am wondering if the area I chose is a good place to live. How is the area around W Washington and State? Also, I will be a graduate student, and am wondering if catching a bus that takes me directly to campus from this area will be possible.

Second, I am moving from the West (Boise, ID to be specific) and am concerned about finding things to do that will replace my old hobbies. Being from Idaho, I am big into the outdoors and am not sure what to make of the flat landscape in Illinois. I assume that skiing is out, but was wondering if there are any decent hiking trails or any whitewater friendly to rafters. What kind of outdoor activities do people enjoy in the area?

Thanks,

Bru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,055,031 times
University of Illinois had a pretty active ski club that competed in midwest events and sponsored trips to the Rockies at least a couple of times a year.

Whitewater? Without changes in elevation that is hard to achieve, though there is river rafting place on the Vermillion near Utica: from: urbana IL to: La Salle, IL - Google Maps
Closest actual river base stuff might in Wisconsin: from: urbana IL to: Silver CLiff WI - Google Maps

There are State Parks: http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Urb...e=UTF8&t=p&z=9

Football is generally an outdoor activity, as is tailgating...

Last edited by chet everett; 06-25-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM

135 posts, read 596,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruBru View Post
Hello Everyone,

First, I visited the area and found a place to live. I was rushed, as I didn't have as much time as I would have liked, and am wondering if the area I chose is a good place to live. How is the area around W Washington and State? Also, I will be a graduate student, and am wondering if catching a bus that takes me directly to campus from this area will be possible.
I don't really frequent that area, but my impression is that it is a transition area between a nice neighborhood to the south and a not so nice one to the north. It should be okay, but not the best around. One good thing is that you are close to downtown Champaign which has lots of places to eat and nightlife for adults (as opposed to the undergrad scene west of campus on Green St).

Buses go almost everywhere here, and you can get maps and schedules at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District.

Quote:
Second, I am moving from the West (Boise, ID to be specific) and am concerned about finding things to do that will replace my old hobbies. Being from Idaho, I am big into the outdoors and am not sure what to make of the flat landscape in Illinois. I assume that skiing is out, but was wondering if there are any decent hiking trails or any whitewater friendly to rafters. What kind of outdoor activities do people enjoy in the area?
Skiing is pretty much out. I believe they have some "skiing" in Wisconsin but I think you will be disappointed in it coming from out west. I like to backpack and there are a couple of national forests within 4 hours that are nice. Shawnee NF covers most of southern Illinois and Hoosier NF covers a large section of southwestern Indiana. They will not compare to anything out west, but you can get away from all the people and enjoy some time in the woods if that's your thing. Also the Ozarks begin in central and southern Missouri and there is even more hiking, fishing, whatever there but it is a little farther. For a day trip there is Allerton Park, Kickapoo SP, Turkey Run SP (Indiana) and some other less advertised places nearby. Being that it is very flat in the immediate area, biking is quite popular because you can ride long stretches of country road.

Welcome! Happy to help if you have any other questions, about the U or anything since I'm also a grad student.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,741,005 times
Illinois has a ski resort....in Galena (upper northwest side of the state) plus you can visit Ulysses S. Grant's home while there.

www.chestnutmtn.com

Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 23,318 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I feel a bit nervous being on the border of a so-called "bad neighborhood," but as you stated asearchforreason, I am sure it will be fine. Looking at the crime statistics for the area, it seems that even the "bad" parts of the city are not all that bad. Also, I must say the public transportation is amazing for being such a small town. In Boise, public transportation is horrible and not even helpful to the majority of the population. I guess this explains the lack of traffic in the UC area.... good stuff.

I am glad to see there are a few outdoor things to do in the area. If I get bored, I can enjoy all of the cities that are nearby. In Idaho you have to drive 5-6 hours to get to any city of substance. In Illinois there seems to be several decent-sized cities nearby.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 PM

38 posts, read 91,170 times
There are some places in champaign I wouldn't recommend living in. That isn't one of them. Some people in Champaign have an unreasonable fear of certain areas of town, including the Bradley corridor (the area around Bradley avenue). Its fine. You can drive there any time of night, car doors unlocked, and not worry. I do. Google maps can also help you figure out the best routes to take for certain things. I highly recommend cycling-- you can put a standard bike on the front of the bus as well and download a bike map from Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District While Champaign is overwhelmingly flat, there are some places for hiking-- Allerton in Monticello (about 30 mins away) is nice, and there is also Busey woods in Urbana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois