U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-11-2009, 03:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,460,758 times
Rockford is actually smaller than Aurora, Naperville, and Joliet, (and soon to be Elgin).

Just because Rockford has over 100K people, it is not too big to a suburb. In Dallas for example, several of the suburbs (Grand Prairie, Arlington) have hundreds of thousands of people.

A suburb only means a municipality connected to a larger one that is a regional center that is identified as such by the US Census.

If Schaumburg was in the middle of Idaho, it would be considered a regional center that would have its own suburbs.

Rockford used to be its own city, but there are more and more people that commute into Chicagoland from Rockford, especially in NW Cook and W Lake County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-13-2009, 05:56 AM

219 posts, read 450,166 times
Not a suburb, but part of the Chicagoland region, think the same thing about Kankakee County.

Unread 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,107,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Anything is possible. This has actually been proposed, so I'm sure there's a way. I have no idea if there is an existing right-of-way or not.
I was under the impression that if METRA were to be extended into Rockford, it would be done via the Elgin, or Milwaukee- District West Line rather than the Harvard, Union Pacific Northwest Line. I think the tracks that that line follows actually head for Janesville, WI.

Unread 07-13-2009, 12:51 PM

9,792 posts, read 16,175,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
I was under the impression that if METRA were to be extended into Rockford, it would be done via the Elgin, or Milwaukee- District West Line rather than the Harvard, Union Pacific Northwest Line. I think the tracks that that line follows actually head for Janesville, WI.
Could be. I now see your point.

Unread 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM

19,759 posts, read 29,973,762 times
Rockford controls it own fate in so many ways it is much an independent city than a suburb. The employment base is still very much rooted in manufacturing and together with its airport it is far more likely to be able to weather different ups and down that Chicago and the suburbs.

Politically is congressional representative, Don Manuzullo, represents the whole north west corner of IL, but really draws little attention for the issues of Crystal Lake, which is pretty much the biggest 'true suburb' in his domain. Winnebago Co, of which Rockford is the County Seat is NOT considered by anyone to be a collar county, it is "downstate". Winnebago County, Illinois

It ain't part of NIMLS either, it is in coop with Boone and Ogle Co, and those are all agricultural.
Property Search

Unread 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM

3,885 posts, read 6,221,562 times
I agree with most here, Rockford is its own city. I lived in Crystal Lake, which is actually closer to Rockford than Chicago, but Crystal Lake is a suburb of Chicago. Most of what is west of this area is farmland, although that line is creeping west.

Unread 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM

45 posts, read 87,592 times
Rockford is a BIG CITY and not a suburb.

Unread 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM

8,719 posts, read 11,887,112 times
Rockford is by all means its own city. It might have benifits of being fairly close to Chicago, but the city grew on its own and has control over its future.

Chicago is creeping closer though, and Rockford's growth is mostly to the east. I would think within a few decades the areas might merge.

Unread 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM

3,885 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Rockford is by all means its own city. It might have benifits of being fairly close to Chicago, but the city grew on its own and has control over its future.

Chicago is creeping closer though, and Rockford's growth is mostly to the east. I would think within a few decades the areas might merge.
What is interesting is Elgin was much like Rockford at one time, it's own city, but now is almost completely surrounded by Chicagoland suburbia.

Unread 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM

3,132 posts, read 6,873,179 times
rockford is a city. elgin is a city. It just happens to be a suburb of a larger city. Aurora and springfield are also cities. Aurora is also a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois