U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM

18,965 posts, read 49,551,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yes!!!!! We have MORE than our fair share of snakes in the hills and around the lakes/ponds here......

Copperheads are PLENTIFUL here( I ran over one in the middle of town a week or so ago that was massive and it had just crawled onto the road from our little city park where KIDS WERE PLAYING!!...I'm sure it's mate was probably nearby too).We usually stumble across at least a couple on our property every year while mowing or moving steel around.

My uncle had a dog bit by one last year that survived because he seen it happen and rushed it to the vet,I had a dog killed by one 5 yrs or so ago and we also had a horse bit by one about 10 yrs ago....I don't know if it's legal to kill them in IL or not,but they can take me to jail if they want to because they don't survive if I see them.

Cottonmouths will run you completely out of certain back water fishing spots here and they are not the least bit shy about it either..

Once while fishing a creek near Miller City, I was standing on a little narrow strip of ground that protruded out into the creek and I finally ended up breaking a fishing pole to splinters trying to keep them from getting on there and sunning with me...needless to say,I left it with them....I had to walk nearly a half mile back to the truck through waste high weeds and after seeing all of those snakes,I died a thousand deaths on the way out of there

Timber Rattlers..In the past I used to see quite a few of them every summer while riding,but the past 5 or 6 years they seem to have really thinned out for some reason or another (GOOD)...they are now protected in IL and WHY I do not know.More idiotic IL laws I guess.

There are some animals/bugs I don't much care for like cats,spiders and now the coyotes are REALLY becoming a hassle here,but I can deal with it and not really care one way or the other...Snakes on the other hand,I HATE them with a passion.

IL Herpetology Species List | Illinois Natural History Survey | U of I

Whoever wrote the article in the link below is a tree hugging dumb ass that must not have kids,animals nor spend much time out of an office complex...read the last paragraph

Timber Rattler - Waterman and Hill-Traveller's Companion
Those timber rattlers and copperheads you speak of (as well as cottonmouths) are very prevalent in Southern IL, but they still need to be left alone, regardless if you like them or not. They serve a purpose and will completely leave you alone if you leave them alone. They want NOTHING to do with you. If you want to see them in a different light if you head down Snake Road (Service Road B) down in Southern IL when they shut it down to allow the snake migration. You can wander right up to them and take all the photos you want, its amazing.

Here, check out this video, this guy is quite informative about snakes in Southern IL, thats where he mainly spends his time. Snakes are NOT monsters and need to be left alone. I applaud the IDNR's actions to preserve these snakes, theyre very beneficial to the environment.

YouTube - Herping With Dylan: Timber Rattlesnake
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 PM

4,211 posts, read 10,381,429 times
Steve you'd be the guy to ask. Are salamanders common out in the burbs? We used to have loads of them around here 15 years agi and it seems they have all disappeared?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Steve you'd be the guy to ask. Are salamanders common out in the burbs? We used to have loads of them around here 15 years agi and it seems they have all disappeared?
In select areas, yes. I agree with you, they used to be a lot more common, but sadly development has rid them of their habitat. Many people around here find them, but are hush-hush about the locations they find them in.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 AM

9,809 posts, read 7,578,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Those timber rattlers and copperheads you speak of (as well as cottonmouths) are very prevalent in Southern IL, but they still need to be left alone, regardless if you like them or not. They serve a purpose and will completely leave you alone if you leave them alone. They want NOTHING to do with you. If you want to see them in a different light if you head down Snake Road (Service Road B) down in Southern IL when they shut it down to allow the snake migration. You can wander right up to them and take all the photos you want, its amazing.

Here, check out this video, this guy is quite informative about snakes in Southern IL, thats where he mainly spends his time. Snakes are NOT monsters and need to be left alone. I applaud the IDNR's actions to preserve these snakes, theyre very beneficial to the environment.

YouTube - Herping With Dylan: Timber Rattlesnake
I have been down snake road back when my Dad was still living.The areas that they DON'T shut off have a zillion of them too...if you ever head down to scope it out,DM me and I'll give you directions to another road that follows the bluff back around and ends up south of Jonesboro...very scenic and enough snakes to make anyone happy(or unhappy,depending on your POV).

I do NOT bother them on IDNR ground(nor do I bother anything on IDNR property...I try not to even disturb leaves when I'm on state or fed ground),BUT I will smoke one in a blink of an eye on private property where kids or livestock roam....just like the copperhead I laid a nice black mark across in front of the town park the other day,kids were all over the place out there playing and had I passed him/her by and then found out later that one of those babies got bit because I didn't dust that snake off,I wouldn't have been able to live with myself.Also,if I had called the town cop to have it removed ,he would have done one of two things and then looked at me like I was retarded...shot it or spun HIS tires over it.That's just the way it is here,we have to live with these things.

I have spent as much time in the woods,ROWs,brush and fields as just about anyone and moreso than most and I am also fully aware that they want nothing to do with me(the feeling is mutual) and I am also aware of their ecological status in the food chain,but on private property around people or animals they are just an accident waiting to happen and no amount of talking will ever be able to convince me otherwise.

It's the same as with the bears and also the wolves they released when I lived out west,They have their place,but on my porch or eating my stock was not their place.

Now I will admit to getting softer in my old age....my daughter loves snakes and all animals for that matter(says she's gonna be a Vet...I hope so,she'll save me a load of money)....I used to kill every snake that I came across regardless of what it was,but because of her and my best friend who also loves snakes nagging me,I now leave everything but the poisonous ones completely alone....believe it or not,I actually picked a grass snake up for her to take to school last year(I even touched it with my bare hand),so MAYBE there is hope for me yet.

As for the lizards and salamanders(and a thousand other creepy crawlies).....my kid collects/gathers them for a school teacher and knows the proper names for them(latin too) ..lucky for her that teacher is brilliant when it comes to animals and although she is no longer in her class,they still get together and talk and gather specimens together...she has learned a lot off of her and it keeps her interested.

Thanks for the vid,but those are the type of little goofballs that we carry out of the woods several times a year around here,put on a helicopter and hope they make it to the hospital on time...they fall off of these bluffs,they get bit by snakes,they get lost etc etc etc....I see the exact same type at my store several times per week and I tell them all the same thing..BE CAREFUL.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Josh,come on down and my daughter can load you up with some to take back with you.Do a little camping and fishing while you are here too

Old 07-23-2009, 06:59 AM

I just found this Steve.

YouTube - Snake Road

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I just found this Steve.

YouTube - Snake Road
Excellent vid, thanks for sharing!!! I tried to rep you, but I cant as I have to spread some around first.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Excellent vid, thanks for sharing!!! I tried to rep you, but I cant as I have to spread some around first.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:09 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,164,555 times
Muleskinner....I plan to come camping one of these days in southern IL as you suggested.....but you better lead me down a path where the snakes stay put or don't exist. LOL

Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
Muleskinner....I plan to come camping one of these days in southern IL as you suggested.....but you better lead me down a path where the snakes stay put or don't exist. LOL
You come on down ANYTIME!!! DM me before you come... I'll give you my cell # and we'll find you a SUPER nice place to camp and hopefully "kinda" snake free

I don't want to make it sound like we are "over ran" with them down here,because that's not really the case,BUT they are here and you have to keep your eyes open is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois