Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Can't we all just get along???????
I thought we were

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
NO offense taken dude! Glad you didn't have a motive with this type of question. And, I'm a woman, not a dude.
Sorry had a brainfart their
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Southern is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't really know there is an actual demarcation other than the dew line. I suspect newspapers, radio stations and television stations carved out an area and give it a name to draw advertising dollars. One of the TV stations trademarked HOI - Heart of Illinois - meaning the 7-8 counties in their broadcast area.

I live in the central part of state. To me Southern Illinois is south of US 60 and not nearly as far north as Springfield. I don't know if you called Springfield if any one could tell you where it is or how it is defined. Much let alone who dun it. US 60 is EW. It runs through Harrisburg, Marion and Carbondale before exiting into Missouri. I have to call down to Springfield, anyway, if I find out, I'll let you know.

US 60 just grazes the state just to the South of Cairo. I think you are referring to Illinois 15. From what the map shows US 60 would more correctly be North-South oriented in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I can just give the opinion of someone who lives here...EVERYONE I know that lives in SI says the same thing if you ask them...I-64 is the cutoff between CI and SI....the terrain really changes there,the dialects seem to change there also and you start getting into the great cornfield there too..
I've been to Illinois before. I-64/US 50 being the "dividing" line between Central and Southern I can agree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
Thank you linicx. Apparently some have not heard of the famous film named "Southern By The Grace of God" a fine tribute to the Kentucky CSA Living History....a wonderful dipiction of what it was like during the war...the grace of people, the glory and the attitudes.

My entire family migrated from Kentucky. If I want to say I am Southern I can. Now I live in Illinois and am proud of it....but I am definitley proud of my heritage. Accuse me of being devisive if you want and I always say... if the shoe fits wear it.
Almost my entire family is from Eastern/Southeastern Kentucky( My grandma on my mom's side is from Germany) my entire family is German. My Great grandparents came from Northern Germany and German Switzerland and migrated to that area of Kentucky. so I guess if I wanted to say I'm Southern I guess I could do so..but I consider myself Northern. I feel the same way about what you said. Only I live in Indiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
Kentucky is one of my favorite states! Particularly the Mammoth cave region. Where was your family from??
I love Kentucky!! I've been to Owensboro,Bowling Green,Louisville, Elizabethtown,Grayson just to name a few......

Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Sorry had a brainfart their

US 60 just grazes the state just to the South of Cairo. I think you are referring to Illinois 15. From what the map shows US 60 would more correctly be North-South oriented in that area.

I've been to Illinois before. I-64/US 50 being the "dividing" line between Central and Southern I can agree with.

Almost my entire family is from Eastern/Southeastern Kentucky( My grandma on my mom's side is from Germany) my entire family is German. My Great grandparents came from Northern Germany and German Switzerland and migrated to that area of Kentucky. so I guess if I wanted to say I'm Southern I guess I could do so..but I consider myself Northern. I feel the same way about what you said. Only I live in Indiana.

I love Kentucky!! I've been to Owensboro,Bowling Green,Louisville, Elizabethtown,Grayson just to name a few......
I lived and worked just north of Owensboro on the IN side for awhile and I LOVE that area....my two favorite places in the midwest are Southern IL and Southern IN

Last edited by Swampmonster; 07-25-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: spellin'

Old 07-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Just North of Owensboro I believe is Rockport if I'm not mistaked. Southern Indiana is a very beautiful place.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Just North of Owensboro I believe is Rockport if I'm not mistaked. Southern Indiana is a very beautiful place.
You are correct...My Dad worked on Rockport Powerplant from the beginning and I ended up working there when I graduated on the new construction side and then later in and out on maint....I lived 30 miles northeast in the hills on the Perry county line and moved back and forth between there and WY for a long time.I loved the people and the hilly area.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
You are correct...My Dad worked on Rockport Powerplant from the beginning and I ended up working there when I graduated on the new construction side and then later in and out on maint....I lived 30 miles northeast in the hills on the Perry county line and moved back and forth between there and WY for a long time.I loved the people and the hilly area.

Perry County eh? I've passed through a few times along I-64 and Indiana 62/37 going to/from Indianapolis. Never have stopped in Perry County atleast as far as I can remember. I'm sure I probably have some pictures of Perry County somewhere around here.

Wyoming? I bet that was a culture and geographical shock.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Perry County eh? I've passed through a few times along I-64 and Indiana 62/37 going to/from Indianapolis. Never have stopped in Perry County atleast as far as I can remember. I'm sure I probably have some pictures of Perry County somewhere around here.

Wyoming? I bet that was a culture and geographical shock.
It would have been,but we had moved back and forth between there and the midwest since I was 5...We were ALL over.

I was in the FAR NE corner of Spencer on the Perry line...it is beautiful there IMO...BIG hills,old well kept farms,fantastic people and a lot of old traditions.I really liked it there.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
Southern Illinois is Jefferson County (Mt Vernon) and south. North of that is central.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Southern Illinois is Jefferson County (Mt Vernon) and south. North of that is central.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
It would have been,but we had moved back and forth between there and the midwest since I was 5...We were ALL over.

I was in the FAR NE corner of Spencer on the Perry line...it is beautiful there IMO...BIG hills,old well kept farms,fantastic people and a lot of old traditions.I really liked it there.
That area of the state is very beautiful. I love taking pictures of old abandon barns. I love old traditions but I also like new ones to. Southern Indiana is definetly well kept....atleast for now. Once I-69 comes through things will probably change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post

I can agree with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois