Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times

Advertisements

Drover, youre correct, I forgot to illustrate that if a plane catches you speeding, you get pulled over on the ground, hence no ticket mailed to you. LOL Im retarded sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 PM

50 posts, read 176,068 times
There are some areas that do have the photo-enforced radar for speeding vehicles. Areas along the 355 extension project, especially on I-80 have the cameras that take pictures as you speed on by in a construction zone.

I also live near a small airstrip that has helicopters and small planes take off from that location to monitor speeders on nearby highways. They do not themselves photograph and mail tickets, but they do radio ahead to waiting squad cars, which in turn pull you over...sneaky little buggers, aren't they? I would never have thought this possible or true, but I was at the airstrip (they have a cafe there) and there were some police officers eating there talking about the number of cars they had gotten that morning through that process.

And it is true, if you blow through an IPASS lane without paying, they send you a nice picture of you and you're car....along with a nice fine.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 PM

54 posts, read 305,462 times
although Blowing the I-Pass lane is an idiot violation...

No, they can't picture your LP and mail you a ticket, they contact ground patrol to do that.

This is usually only in Springfield (state capital) and Chicago (much ground traffic) where there is Aerial patrol. Springfield in and of itself has about a cop every other foot on I-55 through town...

Old 04-28-2007, 12:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,730,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHogsGo View Post
although Blowing the I-Pass lane is an idiot violation...

No, they can't picture your LP and mail you a ticket
Yes they can, and they do. They use photo records not only to issue citations, but to collect tolls from legitimate registered I-Pass users if their transponders malfunction (or if they forget to put it in the car). My I-Pass was on the fritz for almost three weeks once and was not registering. Then all of a sudden, BAM!, they took out three weeks worth of tolls at once. How? Photos of my license plate, which they matched up with the license plate number on record in my I-Pass account.

I don't know that they do much ariel speed enforcement up here in the Chicago area. Around here, the state troopers allow motorists to speed with such impunity that I can't imagine they'd enforce from the air that which they don't bother to enforce on the ground. You have to be driving like an Andretti on fire to get a moving violation on the interstates around here.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 PM

169 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, ariel enforcement -- rarely done in IL by the way -- is done by communicating to waiting patrol cars on the ground who then pull you over. There's no way they can get a license number from a plane or a helicopter to know who send a speeding ticket to.
I have a friend who was driving on 57 from Champaign to Chicago-- where signs are posted warning of arial enforcement-- and she got a ticket mailed to her. No police stopped her. Apparently they can fly really low and not make much noise.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
Apparently they can fly really low and not make much noise.
You can't be serious. Using what, stealth jets with Romulan cloaks? Ariel VASCAR enforcement is done from about 1,500 feet in the air. There's no way in hell they're getting license plate numbers from up there. If your friend got a speeding ticket in the mail, it was probably in a construction zone.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:45 AM

169 posts, read 776,588 times
Well, I wouldn't put stealth jets with Romulan cloaks past the state of IL The ticket was for speeding, which has to be clocked by radar. Do construction workers have radar? Do they take down license plate numbers? It seems they wouldn't have the time if they're seriously trying to do their work.

It seems that a construction worker saying "they were going really fast" wouldn't hold up ticket-wise.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
Well, I wouldn't put stealth jets with Romulan cloaks past the state of IL The ticket was for speeding, which has to be clocked by radar. Do construction workers have radar? Do they take down license plate numbers? It seems they wouldn't have the time if they're seriously trying to do their work.
Well it's a lot more plausible than the idea that they can get a license plate number from a flying aircraft. Maybe you didn't notice people mentioning earlier in this thread that the state does run photo radar in many construction zones.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 23,377 times
Yes,you can get a photo ticket.Have you ever seen the sign"Photo Speed Enforced"? If your lucky enough,you can even see what you were doing at the time in the picture! hehehe!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,120,786 times
I can confirm what J33 said. On many Chicago intersections, if you go through a red light you will receive a picture of your car and a ticket in the mail. There will be a picture of your license tag, too. The violation does not count like a moving violation on your license record, however. But, if the photo gets you -- you are presumed guilty so just send in a check. There are ways to protect your tags from being alble to be captured on camera but I won't mention them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois