Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,468 times

Advertisements

I am new to Illinois. Are overspeeding tickets sent by mail in illinois or do u get it only if the cop stops you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM

551 posts, read 3,113,104 times
I've never gotten one in the mail, nor do I know anyone who has. I would assume you must get stopped, although there might be other types of enforcement in the Chicago area--I'm not sure.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
the only thing I have gotten in the mail, is when I have gone through the Ipass lane instead of the cash toll booth (it was like $40) -- that is the only fine I can think of that you can get in the mail for a traffic violation. But there could be more.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
There are areas in IL where speed is monitored from the air by helicopter/plane. They mail them to you then.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:47 PM

11 posts, read 41,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There are areas in IL where speed is monitored from the air by helicopter/plane. They mail them to you then.
Seriously??? I've never heard of that. They have been installing cameras at some intersections. (I've heard of them near some schools and other dangerous places where cars speed often but never from a helicopter)

The truth of the matter is that you can get a ticket sent through the mail. I wouldn't think it happened very often, but it can. I've never gotten one and would almost be hesitant to pay it (especially if it was cash!!!) No deal. How in the world can they say the person driving is the owner of the car?? What if a friend was driving it?? Still have to pay it? Not sure. But yes, I've heard about it happening. (around St. Louis and the metro-east now).

Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, ariel enforcement -- rarely done in IL by the way -- is done by communicating to waiting patrol cars on the ground who then pull you over. There's no way they can get a license number from a plane or a helicopter to know who send a speeding ticket to. I can't remember the last time I saw VASCAR stripes painted on the highway for ariel enforcement. I think there are some, somewhere; I guess I just don't pay much attention to them.

As far as I know, photo radar for speeding is only used in construction zones. The city of Chicago has some 30 red-light cameras with plans to install 40 more. I do not believe those go on your driving record as a violation.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
I know that there are certain intersections here in the city that will photograph your car if you go through a red light and then you'll get a ticket in the mail. I'm not sure of what legally happens though (as Drover stated). Being that I almost never drive, I don't think too much about them, but I have seen the cameras here and there.

I found a website the confirmed my suspicions...

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...tItemAction.do

Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I know that there are certain intersections here in the city that will photograph your car if you go through a red light and then you'll get a ticket in the mail. I'm not sure of what legally happens though (as Drover stated). Being that I almost never drive, I don't think too much about them, but I have seen the cameras here and there.

I found a website the confirmed my suspicions...

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...tItemAction.do
I really hate these things, especially in Chicago. Studies have repeatedly shown that extending the time length of yellow lights is more effective at reducing red-light running than photo enforcement. But then, you don't generate revenue by extending the yellow-light timing, and that's really what these contraptions are about. (Side note: the city generated 160 MILLION dollars in revenue last year from parking tickets alone.)

They are particularly infuriating in the city of Chicago, which has far and away the SHORTEST yellow lights I have ever seen. I'm not kidding. If you're traveling on a diagonal street like Lincoln or Milwaukee and you're crossing a 4-lane street like Ashland, it's possible for the light to turn yellow after you've entered the intersection, and turn red while you're still in the intersection, even if you're driving the speed limit. When you can't even cross an intersection within the time span of a yellow light, it's time to lengthen the yellow-light timing.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
the yellow lights ARE shorter in chicago. I got pulled over for blowing a red light, and that is exactly what I said to the officer. I had been living in the subrubs and the yellow's are shorter in the city. He let me go, reluctantly -- but its absolutley true and it really gets you if your used to a longer yellow. they dont warn you about it so how is a driver to know?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
Drover -- it is telling that when you get a ticket, you right your check to 'the department of revenue', they don't beat around the bush ...argh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois