Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 PM

365 posts, read 1,249,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
TO NANANNIE!

Thanks!
I was under the impression that Northern IL & Wisconsin were not part of Tornado Alley ???
This tornado discussion is also in another thread in the Illinois section, so I looked up some info on tornadoes. Actually, all of IL and WI are in "tornado alley," since tornado alley extends from Texas throughout the Midwest all the way to North Dakota. Although northern IL appears to have slightly fewer tornadoes than the rest of the state, living in northern IL isn't a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination. (Florida actually has more tornadoes than any other state; they just happen to be weaker than IL tornadoes.)

I grew up on the prairie of western IL. Our house was at the edge of miles and miles of flat cornfields. Tornadoes were a common occurrence. I've seen many of them rolling across the fields. We just ran to the basement to take cover. Don't get me wrong: I respect Mother Nature. Tornadoes are serious. But you learn not to fear them. Just be smart about it, and there's nothing to worry about.

Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,558,307 times
I am not sure of the "alley" part, but I can assure you they can happen in both places.(and have)

Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,288,604 times
I think a summer or two ago there was a big one in Wisconsin, I think it was South Wisc. Can't remember the name of the town though sorry. I have never heard of one in Galena area though.
There was a big one in Utica, IL that killed about 10 people around 5 years ago or so. Plainfield, IL was a big one that was recent too.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 PM

54 posts, read 305,488 times
Northwestern Illinois...I grew up there for 16 1/2 years in Mount Carroll, and the worst tornado we ever got knocked 1 loose piece of siding off the west side of the house (which was fixed in 5 minutes or less)

The worst I've seen the NW 4 get (Carroll, Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Ogle) was one that dented an empty silo with a tree branch, and didn't do much else, didn't kill anyone, etc.

Interesting fact: weather doesn't hit Mount Carroll straight from the west, I think the bluffs in savanna tend to block it. if there's anything bad that MtC is getting, it's coming from the SW, namely Thomson.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 PM

54 posts, read 305,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I think a summer or two ago there was a big one in Wisconsin, I think it was South Wisc. Can't remember the name of the town though sorry. I have never heard of one in Galena area though.
There was a big one in Utica, IL that killed about 10 people around 5 years ago or so. Plainfield, IL was a big one that was recent too.
The big one in south wisconsin was at Barneveld. It was literally Leveled by a F4/F3 Tornado back in 89/90 i think it was.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 664,281 times
I live in Lake County, just about 10 miles from the Wisconsin border. A few years ago, a tornado hit in Zion (about 10 miles east of us) -- also Beach Park, but that might have been a different incident. We've had some pretty strong winds around here -- last year, part of our fence was knocked down (in two places) by a really strong storm. And we've had two Bradford Pears knocked down by storms.

Country, our area is probably not what you are looking for. You said,

[quote]I wanted 4 distinct seasons, I love the fall and winter time of the year the most(not concerned about TOO COLD or too much snow) and beg of spring, I am not to crazy about really HOT & HUMID summers ( but I guess I cannot have it all...)
So HOW HOT & HUMID are the summers in the areas you recommended?[/
QUOTE]

Well, up here in Lake County, we just had a winter that included near 4 straight weeks of sub-zero weather with a daily wind chill factor 15 - 20 degrees cooler than that. It was awful! Our summers are mixed. Last summer (and a few others) I had to run the air conditioner 24/7 for 7 weeks. A few years were not as bad. Housing is expensive and taxes are terrible. There may be a few affordable "quaint" places left in our area, but most of them have been sold to developers. Sorry.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM

27 posts, read 96,917 times
Default Small towns

Some small towns at Northern edge of state are listed below.

Pecatonica
Winnebago
Durand
Rockton
Roscoe
South Beloit
Popular Grove
Caledonia

If you need to talk with a realtor to get more info on housing and taxes here is a really good realtor I found and have used, very professinal.

rachelradke@century21countrynorth.com

Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 PM

12 posts, read 49,989 times
Cool Tornado Alley we are not

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
TO NANANNIE!

Thanks!
I was under the impression that Northern IL & Wisconsin were not part of Tornado Alley ???
No not part of what is known as "Tornado Alley " and my two cents are I have been in the area for 48yrs and only went to the basement twice because a strong winds. They do happen just not very often and far apart in years and miles.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,308,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Wasn't the tornado that hit Utica occurred less than 5 years ago? Since if it(the Utica tornado) was 5 years ago AS OF this year, time really does pass fast.....

Old 05-26-2007, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 46,691 times
I live in Plainfield and was actually sent to the back of the JCPenny store at the Louis Joliet Mall today because of a tornado warning. I've lived here for 8years and through some crazy weather. I guess I'm used to it, but that's part of living here in the midwest.

I've lived here all of my life and I guess you just get used to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois