U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM

202 posts, read 245,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstermcnuggets View Post
Wasn't the tornado that hit Utica occurred less than 5 years ago? Since if it(the Utica tornado) was 5 years ago AS OF this year, time really does pass fast.....
April 20, 2004. Nine deaths.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,307,691 times
Mendota is a charming little town off I-39 that is home to the famous Mendota Corn Festival every year in about Sept I think? In Mendota jobs are pretty good paying, crime is basically non-existant, and housing is low in price, also nearby is La Salle/Peru so there is plenty of shopping nearby as well. Check it out.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,885,468 times
Default Durand

I actually lived in Durand and worked in Rockford.
I found it a charming little town with easy access to other small towns and Rockford itself.
I think I passed thru South Beloit a few times but can't tell you much about it.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM

202 posts, read 245,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Mendota is a charming little town off I-39 that is home to the famous Mendota Corn Festival every year in about Sept I think? In Mendota jobs are pretty good paying, crime is basically non-existant, and housing is low in price, also nearby is La Salle/Peru so there is plenty of shopping nearby as well. Check it out.
Born and raised. The fest is always the second weekend of Aug. I wouldn't go so far as "good paying," in terms of most available jobs, but COL is quite low, so that offsets it some. LaSalle-Peru is the closest shopping, and it's pretty middling to poor, selectionwise, but it is improving. For any hardcore shopping, Rockford is the better bet.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:55 AM

209 posts, read 1,058,472 times
I would recommend in this order:

1. GALENA-Jo Daviess Co.
2. Oregon- Ogle Co.
3. Byron- Ogle Co.
4. Stockton- Jo Daviess Co.
5. Mount Carroll- Carroll Co.
6. Freeport- Stephenson Co.
7. Peacatonica- Winnebago Co.
8. Winnebago- Winnebago Co.
9. Polo- Ogle Co.
10. East Dubuque- Jo Daviess Co.
11. Lanark- Carroll Co.
12. Savanna- Carroll Co.
13. Fulton- Whiteside Co.
14. Morrison- Whiteside Co.
15. Rochelle- Ogle Co.
16. Franklin Grove- Lee Co.
17. Hillcrest- Ogle Co.
18. Ashton- Lee Co.
19. Sterling- Whiteside Co.
20. Paw Paw- Lee Co.

Towns that I would not recommend:

Dixon
Rockford
Rock Falls

About tornadoes:

This year, in June, we had a tornado in Jo Daviess County that crossed the Mississippi at Bellevue,Iowa. It hit just south of Galena, it was an EF1, or 2 I believe. In May, we'd had a tornado in northern Jo Daviess County near the Wis. border that was an EF0, but still, a tornado.

There are a few areas in northern Illinois that get hit more often that others.

Most prone; winnebago, jo daviess, ogle, de kalb, lee, and henry counties.

Least prone; carroll, whiteside, rock island, bureau

^^ That is just what I have noticed living in the E. Iowa/ Nrn. IL area for 35 years.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM

54 posts, read 295,204 times
I'm surprised that you didn't put Chadwick in there, DBQAskme.

Chadwick has about 750 people, on the BNSF Tracks in Carroll Co. Within reasonable striking distance of Sterling/Rock Falls and Clinton for shopping/supplies/work/Hospitals and shares a school district with the town of Milledgeville (900 persons)

Galena-Excellent if you've got the $
Oregon-see Galena
Byron-Great town, excellent people, Nuclear Plant with no accidents.
Stockton-has some jobs, flood-prone, not because it is near a river, but because it's more built on the lowest level of a plateau
Mount Carroll-No job market to speak of.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 58,650 times
Hi there.

My sister lives in Geneva and they LOVE it there! Although, it is becoming a bit expensive. We are moving from South Africa to Illinois in a few months and are looking at Lily Lake and Elburn. Do you have kids?? If so, the school system in Geneva is very good.

Best of luck!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,392,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
TO NANANNIE!

Thanks!
I was under the impression that Northern IL & Wisconsin were not part of Tornado Alley ???
We had our fair share of tornadoes and straight-line winds when I lived in Stephenson County.

Wisconsin always seemed to get it worse than we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois