Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,677 times

Advertisements

linicx, I really enjoy reading what you write about the history and geography of "downstate" Illinois. Not just in this thread but all over this board. Keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 AM

65 posts, read 295,023 times
What does Chicago have that the residents in Southern Illinois cannot have? I don't get it. Most people live where they choose. Whatever works for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop89 View Post
What does Chicago have that the residents in Southern Illinois cannot have? I don't get it. Most people live where they choose. Whatever works for you.
Is it not always a question of choosing where to live. Big box stores will not move into small towns. Many rural towns do not have a hospital or a library. A few do not have post office. From this standpoint Chicago has much to offer in terms of shopping. However, St. Louis offers much the same and it is a couple hundred miles closer.

On the other hand it is impossible to farm 1000 acres in Chicago or raise cattle. Farm families tend to stay where their parents or grandparents lived. My cousin lives in the same town not far from the house where our great-grandparents lived for sixty years. His father was an Illinois pioneer settler in 1856. In 1825 Fulton County included most of the state as far north as Chicago. By then Peoria was well settled and growing.

I lived and worked in Chicago, I worked with illegals. I saw all the sites I wanted to see. I saw the city flood, and I was in one of the worst winters in its history. The airports were closed and only one lane of I-55 was open each way. I have the memories, I don't need the rest.

The rest of the world does not look or act like Chicago, nor is it all cornfields, soybeans and cattle. Iowa and Illinois are the two top producing corn states in America, but Iowa does not have the Illinois Ozarks.

When you are old enough to get out and travel by yourself you will find a whole new world of wonders waiting for you from sea to shining sea. You might enjoy the rose garden in Shcreveport, La, or the oldest continuously settled community in the Louisiana Territory, or Sweetwater, Texas, or the Palo Duro Canyon, or White Sands and the Inn of the Mountain Gods, or Denny's at Winslow, Arizoana.

You might even find a real diamond in the minefields in Arkansas. You might travel around Lake Michigan through Canada and come back into Michigan. You might even decide to visit Columbus, Mexico, or drive through the Rocky Mountains. You can sleep with wolves in Illinois or see the tallest tree in the world at 278 feet.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times
I live downstate and I tpically vote republican. I accept that I will have no say in the way Illinois is governed. The Chicago Area political powers have germandered the state to insure that only their wants are met. Downstate can only get a small bone when the real political power in the state, Madigan, gives up a small bone to one of his pet downstate lackies. Our current republican governor will fail in his efforts to end the Madigan directed bleeding of tax dollars to fund his wants and needs. I have to stay in this state because at this time of my life I can't move my livehood (Farmland just does not ship from state to state). As a result of this I have to stay in a state that ignors downstate and provides only for the wants and needs of Chicagoland.

I went to UICU. There is nothing like going to a University less than 50 miles away from your home and being treated as if you are from a backward third world nation by a bunch of the Chicagoland students. These students didn't even know that humans don't eat the corn they saw on their way down (cows and pigs eat it). I was told that I had a southern accent even though they were in my neck of the prairie. It is my belief that your statement that the "UIUC is the greatest site for bringing downstaters and Chicago area college kids together in a state unifying setting (although the university is dominated by its Chicago area enrollment)" is laughable because the Chicago area college students don't want to unify the state. They see us as stupid hicks that shouldn't be allowed to even attend UICU. They need adjust their additudes.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a fine school. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...8211;Champaign

Chicago kids that can't go IVY go to UIUC or the Universe of Iowa if they don't stay home and attend Northwestern or other local college.

As to the point of this 6 year old post, it is not any bigger secret that the Illinois legislature is seeded with Chicagoans than it is that Cook is the second largest county in America.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a fine school. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...na–Champaign

Chicago kids that can't go IVY go to UIUC or the Universe of Iowa if they don't stay home and attend Northwestern or other local college.

As to the point of this 6 year old post, it is not any bigger secret that the Illinois legislature is seeded with Chicagoans than it is that Cook is the second largest county in America.
UIUC has actually been a tough school to get admission to for quite some time. The primary reason for this is because it is the state of Illinois's only true flagship state school, while also being home to the 3rd largest city / metro area in America (Chicago of course).

Notice in the state of Michigan how their lucky population can choose in-state between the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (very tough to get into) & Michigan State in East Lansing (easier to get into but still considered a name brand Big 10 school). Illinois doesn't have a true equivalent to Michigan State. The largest metro area in Michigan is Detroit (14th biggest metro area in USA).

Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
UIUC has actually been a tough school to get admission to for quite some time. The primary reason for this is because it is the state of Illinois's only true flagship state school, while also being home to the 3rd largest city / metro area in America (Chicago of course).

Notice in the state of Michigan how their lucky population can choose in-state between the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (very tough to get into) & Michigan State in East Lansing (easier to get into but still considered a name brand Big 10 school). Illinois doesn't have a true equivalent to Michigan State. The largest metro area in Michigan is Detroit (14th biggest metro area in USA).
What you say is very true. ISU is a very good school too, but it never strived to be in the Big 10. Sports are secondary to education. For instance if you like to 'fiddle with figures' its Actuary program is one of the top 13 in North America.

The biggest problem is in the legislature. Illinois has 102 Counties. Whilst my senator represents 7 counties, yours represent one suburb such as Naperville. I have to say that some of the rules developed for congested cities do not work well in rural areas where the doctors are 50 miles away, and so are the grocers.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:57 AM

44 posts, read 44,097 times
If it were not for Chicago and all its suburbs and satellite cities, downstate Illinois would not have the large representation in Congress. Let's face harsh facts, the Chicago Metro Region carries the rest of the state and most likely pays more in taxes than it receives in services from Springfield. A significant chunk of taxes collected from the Chicago Metro Region goes to other parts of Illinois so don't bite the hand that feeds you. A similar scenario exists in Michigan, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Washington. If it were not for Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle-Tacoma these states would not have the representation and political clout that they now enjoy having on Capitol Hill. That is just how it is you cannot rewrite history or instantly redistribute state population.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM

What? First and foremost, if it was not for downstate there would be no Chicago today. Thank us for our contribution. All of the real estate taxes collected in Cook County STAY in Cook County. A*sizable amount of ALL tax monies is returned to Cook County in the form of school funding. A portion of ALL tax monies pays STATE and LEGISLATIVE salaries and PENSIONS. A portion of ALL tax monies supports roads and bridges, etc.. Please do not try to spread the old wives tale that Chicago money supports poor, poor downstate. It does not. The largest portion of Cook County taxes are returned to Cook County.

You can verify how the state spends its money at the state treasurer's office, too.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What? First and foremost, if it was not for downstate there would be no Chicago today. Thank us for our contribution. All of the real estate taxes collected in Cook County STAY in Cook County. A*sizable amount of ALL tax monies is returned to Cook County in the form of school funding. A portion of ALL tax monies pays STATE and LEGISLATIVE salaries and PENSIONS. A portion of ALL tax monies supports roads and bridges, etc.. Please do not try to spread the old wives tale that Chicago money supports poor, poor downstate. It does not. The largest portion of Cook County taxes are returned to Cook County.

You can verify how the state spends its money at the state treasurer's office, too.
I believe he is referring to income and sales tax.

Without Chicagoland, Illinois would be no different than ND or SD for economic inpact. I'd venture to say IA, but Des Moines metro area is well over 2x that of Springfield / Peoria / Bloomington-Normal. Without Chicagoland, the IL population drops to around 3 million residents, mostly centered around Rockford, Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington and the Quad Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois