Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times

Advertisements

I agree that there are differences in attitudes/outlooks between people "downstate" and people in Chicago. Race and religion are part of it, but not the be all/ end all. Rural and urban lifestyle are just different, and people who are always in one end up with a different outlook on life than people who are always in the other.

I'd like to see some serious statistics about state government outlays and returns by county, similar to the ones the Tax Foundation puts out about the states showing which ones are donors and which ones are recipients. Tax Donor or Contrib States

Anyone know of such information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Illinois has a lot of counties, and a lot of schools that get tax money. How much money each school district receives from the state is based upon the number of schools and the amount of money each school district receives from real estate tax dollars in their district. Schools in poor counties receive more state tax dollars than the wealthy counties. I think NIU puts out a list. I think the State Treasurer in Illinois will talk to you and explain it.

I don't thank culture or religion has anything to do with it. Peoria has plenty of both.

Last edited by linicx; 08-31-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
I hate to say it. But Downstate would be in deep trouble if it lost the Chicagoland tax base. We'd be right down there with places like Arkansas, Kentucky, and Louisiana as "40 something" states. As in "40 something in education", "40 something" in health care, "40 something in roads, etc.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 09-01-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Illinois has a lot of counties, and a lot of schools that get tax money. How much money each school district receives from the state is based upon the number of schools and the amount of money each school district receives from real estate tax dollars in their district. Schools in poor counties receive more state tax dollars than the wealthy counties. I think NIU puts out a list. I think the State Treasurer in Illinois will talk to you and explain it.

I don't thank culture or religion has anything to do with it. Peoria has plenty of both.

Illinois have too many counties with 102 of them. Even the most populous state(California) doesn't have that many counties.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
The money may be disbursed for the State in Springfield, but ain't it a shock that Chicago gets such a disproportionate amount of that money? Daley Machine at work for generations? You betcha.
Yes, Chicago gets a disproportionate amount of money because a disproportionately high number of people live there.

Cities generally subsidize activities in the rest of their states, in fact. Higher incomes concentrated around the city mean higher income taxes paid. I couldn't find any recent data about Illinois in a brief search, but there was a supreme court ruling about 15 years ago that New York State couldn't keep squeezing NYC dry for cash, as they were getting only 66 cents to the dollar back from the state in services.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It also merits mention that if there are segments of non-Chicago Illinois that are negatively biased towards all things they perceive to be specific to Chicago, there are DEFINITELY segments of the Chicago population who are wholeheartedly biased against all things they perceive to be specific to non-Chicago Illinois.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
You are absolutely right. And some of it is perpetuated on this forums. People who have never set foot south of I-80, and those who have not been in Peoria for any length of time in several years consistently bash Peoria.

For a city of !20,000 were not doing too badly considering the economy. Houses are selling, a fourth hospital is going up, we have 4x more doctors than the national average; we are hiring more. Manufacturing has not died yet, the farms are not dwindling any faster than any other state, we do have a culture that is very diverse when compared to B-N and some of the other smaller communities - which is why we attract good doctors. Our private university is a good deal financially, many of our 100-year old businesses are thriving, we have the largest Jewish community outside of Chicago, and we still have 5 country clubs. I'd say we're not doing too badly for a river city in the middle of those boring cornfields and ranches.

Sure Peoria has flaws, but so does Chicago. But we do not pay Chicago taxes, and our real estate taxes are not as outrageous either. We don't get that Canadian wind chill off Lake Michigan in the winter. We don't have Chicago problems because we are 1/10 its size. and we don't want them. Chicago may be the largest convenience store in the Midwest, but we're pretty content with what we do have.

I've lived in many large mega-metro cities. LA has Hollywood and traffic that makes Chicago traffic look like a walk in the park on a Sunday afternoon. I did not find anything fascinating about paying $150 for an $15 lobster; I still don't. The best meal I had was an $8 Cobb Salad. Chicago beats LA 10 ways to one. I don't want to live in any mega-city. Chicago is great city and it is a fun city. It's the city that Billy Sunday could not shut down. I shop in St. Louis.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You are absolutely right. And some of it is perpetuated on this forums. People who have never set foot south of I-80, and those who have not been in Peoria for any length of time in several years consistently bash Peoria.

For a city of !20,000 were not doing too badly considering the economy. Houses are selling, a fourth hospital is going up, we have 4x more doctors than the national average; we are hiring more. Manufacturing has not died yet, the farms are not dwindling any faster than any other state, we do have a culture that is very diverse when compared to B-N and some of the other smaller communities - which is why we attract good doctors. Our private university is a good deal financially, many of our 100-year old businesses are thriving, we have the largest Jewish community outside of Chicago, and we still have 5 country clubs. I'd say we're not doing too badly for a river city in the middle of those boring cornfields and ranches.

Sure Peoria has flaws, but so does Chicago. But we do not pay Chicago taxes, and our real estate taxes are not as outrageous either. We don't get that Canadian wind chill off Lake Michigan in the winter. We don't have Chicago problems because we are 1/10 its size. and we don't want them. Chicago may be the largest convenience store in the Midwest, but we're pretty content with what we do have.

I've lived in many large mega-metro cities. LA has Hollywood and traffic that makes Chicago traffic look like a walk in the park on a Sunday afternoon. I did not find anything fascinating about paying $150 for an $15 lobster; I still don't. The best meal I had was an $8 Cobb Salad. Chicago beats LA 10 ways to one. I don't want to live in any mega-city. Chicago is great city and it is a fun city. It's the city that Billy Sunday could not shut down. I shop in St. Louis.
I been to Peoria twice and its a fairly size city of 114,000. Most of the Midsized cities in Central Illinois are not doing bad with increasing population. Peoria is evenly half way between St. Louis and Chicago. Which of the two cities do Peoria people associate with more?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Seriously, give me the "boring cornfields" any day. I have a deep and abiding love for rural Illinois.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhittak View Post
I love Chicago. I just don't know how people can afford to live there.
"Afford" is all relative. Most metropolitan areas have higher earnings to compensate for the higher cost of living. Lots of people are able to go carless in a dense city like Chicago, therefore you're not paying all the costs associated with automobile ownership. Housing is obviously more expensive and you get less for your money...but then again you're also living in the middle of a cosmopolitan city. It all comes down to location. The apartment is where you eat occasionally, sleep at night, maybe hang out and watch a little tv, and store your stuff. The city is your backyard, living room, entertainment center, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois