Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you vote for Gov. Quinn in 2010?
YES 6 21.43%
NO 19 67.86%
MAYBE 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,197,736 times

Advertisements

I'm no fan of Quinn, but TOTALLY disagree with your statement that Brady is the best candidate the GOP has had in a long time. Dillard or Ryan would have been much better and more qualified than Brady. Oh and Topinka is not gone. She is running for another office-Comptroller? I believe. And living in Chicago area, do you really not understand how or why Quinn has support? Brady lacks more support because he is VERY vague about his plans to reform state government and reduce the deficit, the ideas he has shared are questionable and he doesn't have much of a record that has distinguished himself. It's a choice of 2 very un-impressive candidates.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/illin...gov-quinn.html

Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM

174 posts, read 522,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I'm no fan of Quinn, but TOTALLY disagree with your statement that Brady is the best candidate the GOP has had in a long time. Dillard or Ryan would have been much better and more qualified than Brady. Oh and Topinka is not gone. She is running for another office-Comptroller? I believe. And living in Chicago area, do you really not understand how or why Quinn has support? Brady lacks more support because he is VERY vague about his plans to reform state government and reduce the deficit, the ideas he has shared are questionable and he doesn't have much of a record that has distinguished himself. It's a choice of 2 very un-impressive candidates.
I disagree with your stance on Brady. The other candidates that the GOP ran had way too many "ins" with big buisnesses like Aon, etc. Brady is more of an "outsider," and I really like his campaign strategy so far. He has definitely rallied the downstate vote, but, unlike past downstate candidates, he has held numerous campaign events in and around Chicago.

He has a pretty clean background, he isn't too far right, but he isn't too far center (like the candidates you named), he doesn't flop on issues, he is endorsed by some very important people and groups (Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Chris Christie, etc.).

I don't know. Brady seems like a guy who could really rally every part of the state behind him and throw out the past political ways of Illinois. I think he is a great candidate, even though I don't think you need a great candidate to beat Pat Quinn.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs View Post
...I think he is a great candidate, even though I don't think you need a great candidate to beat Pat Quinn.
See but the thing is if Obama can rally enough black voters in Cook County-Quinn will win.

"Speaking on Michael Baisden's syndicated radio show, Obama also made a direct appeal to African Americans about the importance of the November vote, even though he's not on the ballot himself.

"The reason we won [in 2008] is because young people, African Americans, Latinos -- people who traditionally don't vote in high numbers -- voted in record numbers. We've got to have that same kind of turnout in this election," he said.:

Obama and Congress: Obama warns of GOP congressional takeover - chicagotribune.com

Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,197,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs View Post
I disagree with your stance on Brady. The other candidates that the GOP ran had way too many "ins" with big buisnesses like Aon, etc. Brady is more of an "outsider," and I really like his campaign strategy so far. He has definitely rallied the downstate vote, but, unlike past downstate candidates, he has held numerous campaign events in and around Chicago.

He has a pretty clean background, he isn't too far right, but he isn't too far center (like the candidates you named), he doesn't flop on issues, he is endorsed by some very important people and groups (Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Chris Christie, etc.).

I don't know. Brady seems like a guy who could really rally every part of the state behind him and throw out the past political ways of Illinois. I think he is a great candidate, even though I don't think you need a great candidate to beat Pat Quinn.
Brady may be a better choice than Quinn, but they are both lack luster unappealing candidates.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,018,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
See but the thing is if Obama can rally enough black voters in Cook County-Quinn will win.

"Speaking on Michael Baisden's syndicated radio show, Obama also made a direct appeal to African Americans about the importance of the November vote, even though he's not on the ballot himself.

"The reason we won [in 2008] is because young people, African Americans, Latinos -- people who traditionally don't vote in high numbers -- voted in record numbers. We've got to have that same kind of turnout in this election," he said.:

Obama and Congress: Obama warns of GOP congressional takeover - chicagotribune.com
Yes, young people voted in high numbers in the last presidential election. And mostly voted for Obama.

Avenger, I seriously hope your eyes didn't glaze right over the bolded group and only see the next two groups mentioned..

Last edited by urza216; 10-08-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 57,609 times
As a union voting Democrat for 58 yrs...I won't be voting for Quinn or Alexi. Illinois is a mess.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 PM

36 posts, read 75,280 times
I am an African American living on the south side and I will be voting for Brady. He supports the 2nd Amendment and is for passing CCW in Illinois. None of these liberals/progressive candidates in Chicago and Cook County will get my vote as long as they stand opposed the 2nd amendment.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,310,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterfielddad View Post
I am an African American living on the south side and I will be voting for Brady. He supports the 2nd Amendment and is for passing CCW in Illinois. None of these liberals/progressive candidates in Chicago and Cook County will get my vote as long as they stand opposed the 2nd amendment.
Good for you! Glad to see there are some blacks that are looking beyond considering the normal Dem candidate too many vote for.

Quinn has led Illinois very disastrously, so the choice is very easy for me(Brady). If Hynes had been nominated over Quinn, I might've had a far better chance of voting for the Dem candidate. As it is, the only Dem statewide candidates I probably will vote for in the end will be Lisa Madigan and Jesse White, since I can't think of any serious reasons to vote against either of them. And Jesse White has done a damn good job of running the Sec of State office, I will admit.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 PM

36 posts, read 75,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan617 View Post
Good for you! Glad to see there are some blacks that are looking beyond considering the normal Dem candidate too many vote for.

Quinn has led Illinois very disastrously, so the choice is very easy for me(Brady). If Hynes had been nominated over Quinn, I might've had a far better chance of voting for the Dem candidate. As it is, the only Dem statewide candidates I probably will vote for in the end will be Lisa Madigan and Jesse White, since I can't think of any serious reasons to vote against either of them. And Jesse White has done a damn good job of running the Sec of State office, I will admit.
True I have no qualms about voting for Jesse White he's done a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: