U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM

549 posts, read 1,918,037 times

Advertisements

I grew up around there. Nice, friendly people...typical small, rural, southern town. Slow-paced, not much to do there. Wouldn't be bad for raising a family though if you enjoy small town atmosphere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM

33 posts, read 75,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I lived in Olney too. Those white squirrels would almost eat out of your hand!
Good memories here too!
Hey Yankeegirl, Do you remember Monical's Pizza? I'm down here in TX,
& nothing compares. Know what I mean?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 PM

15,410 posts, read 14,718,153 times
HEY!!! I DO remember Monicals Pizza. It makes my mouth water, just thinking about it.
I also can remember all the road trippin` days that when on in that area.
There was alot of dirt roads or back roads, country roads to some..
I ask my husband just the other day, if he knew what road trippin` was.. he said,"Yeah. Its when you go on a trip somewhere." LOL Well, yeah, sort of...bha ha ha

Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 AM

6 posts, read 15,611 times
When I was little I would spend my summers in Newton. We'd walk to IGA and sometimes walked to the arcade that was near the square. And if we were really good my Aunt and Uncle would take us to the Old Mill for dinner on the weekend. Granted that was 30 years ago but I still have family there. When I was at EIU my sister and her husband built a weekend home in Falmouth(?) which is just north of Newton. I wouldn't say the people are weird. I would say that they're not caught up in the rat race like those of us that live near a big city. Most of the time I envy them.

As for things to do, it's been quite a while since I've been down there but Charleston is about a half our north, Effingham is just west and Terra Houte is about an hour east of Newton so "big" town options not too far.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Wink Newton, Illinois comment

One of the most sincere Christian men, Justin Mulvey, is from Newton. And while I have never been to Newton, there is something to be said of the character of the small town, if I produces a man of his integrity, and caring heart for his fellow man. We have shared our various struggles in life, and while I am considerably older than Justin he is a very close friend, and Christian brother. I thank his great parents, and the town of Newton, for I do not know that anyone could justify a negative comment against this fine individual. --Bill from Washington, Illinois

Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
I'm 13 i live in Newton it is a nice, peaceful, tranquil little town i really enjoy living here i just love everything here. If you ever get a chance to visit Newton you better go there's no other better place to live. We did win 1st place in the top 100 small towns to live in in the U.S. wooh-hoo go Eagles!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:23 PM

146 posts, read 750,144 times
As for the white squirrels, you can have them. The year we lived in Flora we saw more white squirrels, brown squirrels, grey squirrels and so on, than any place I have ever seen on earth. The white ones are protected so they all seem to proliferate, they are everywhere and I do mean everywhere! I had over $500.00 in damage done to my van when squirrels decided to camp out near the engine, twice, built a nest and chewed through wires and plastic casings. There are too many squirrels and not enough places for them to nest or get food obviously so they are doing damage to property instead. I was never so happy to get out of any place in my life as Flora.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 11,211 times
for your information DOLLY!!!!!!!!!! Newton was ranked #1 in the top 100 greatest smallest towns to live in so i wouldn't realy trash SE illinois like that if u don't like Newton then shut up and don't fill other peoples' minds with something that isn't true. and for the record there really isn't very many supicious people here and yeah Newton's small but still who cares i love the town! woo-hoo go eagles!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM

146 posts, read 750,144 times
My aren't you testy! You know that forums are for opinions and i am free to voice mine just as you are to voice yours. Just don't tell me to "shut up" because that is a violation of board rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois