Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 AM

55 posts, read 194,946 times

Advertisements

Hello!! Just wondering what thoughts anyone has regarding TUSCOLA, ILLINOIS? My family will be moving to the Champaign-Urbana area (new job) in the future. Many threads steer people towards Mahomet, Monticello, St. Joseph area for schools/living. We have visited these areas and have found them to have no real "community" feel. Looking at Tuscola there were restaurants, a community pool, golf course, shopping, etc. How are the schools in this area? I noticed quite a bit of railroad tracks on the map--is it noisy? Any unsavory areas or industry--noise, pollution issues?
ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
I've been there a few times it's a nice little town my friend used to live there she loved it I'd def. recomend it but cannot be any more specific than that good luck!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 49,878 times
there is a nice outlet mall not far off of the highway.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
I've been there a few times it's a nice little town my friend used to live there she loved it I'd def. recomend it but cannot be any more specific than that good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM

That is one of the reasons that makes this area seem a little more enjoyable--things to do! THANKS!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Anyone else with any thoughts on housing? My husband needs to relocate now (Sept.) to start his job. I am staying in Michigan until our oldest son (a senior this year) graduates. Our youngest son will be a freshman next year, and we may need to lease/rent if our house is not sold by then. Is there any lease or rental properties in Tuscola, IL? How is the regular housing market and availability? THANKS!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM

55 posts, read 146,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliecat1 View Post
Hello!! Just wondering what thoughts anyone has regarding TUSCOLA, ILLINOIS? My family will be moving to the Champaign-Urbana area (new job) in the future. Many threads steer people towards Mahomet, Monticello, St. Joseph area for schools/living. We have visited these areas and have found them to have no real "community" feel. Looking at Tuscola there were restaurants, a community pool, golf course, shopping, etc. How are the schools in this area? I noticed quite a bit of railroad tracks on the map--is it noisy? Any unsavory areas or industry--noise, pollution issues?
ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
The only problem I forsee is distance as unlike Mahomet it is quite a hike up to Champaign, about 35 miles. Have a newer reliable car for the commute. I live in Downtown Champaign near the Illinois Central Railroad tracks that are the same ones running through Tuscola and there are frequent trains but they don't really bother me much, the sound of a train is actually quite relaxing and helps one sleep. The locals in Tuscola do speak in thick Southern Accents though they are friendly and helpful in places such as the hardware store unlike Bellingham Washington where I found the locals very cold and unfriendly.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks for your information Durian Beach, interesting abouth the accents---we do need to consider the distance.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliecat1 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate your help!
de nada

Old 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,538 times
Molliecat, we recently moved to Tuscola from the east coast after two year search of central Illinois. We chose this town because of the community feel....everything you need is here in town. The outlet mall is great, as are the huge amount of restaurants. The people are incredible. I have never been served in stores by as many warm, helpful people. Its a town where you see people get out and walk and kids out playing. The schools are great. The commute to Champaign is not that bad. We also felt housing was very very affordable here. Much more so than Champaign and no school probs like they have there. Taxes are good here too. We also liked Monticello for all the above reasons, but be prepared to pay 100,000 more for the same house. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois