U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM

161 posts, read 518,331 times

Advertisements

So I am looking at several cities to possibly transfer to with my job. One option I am considering is the Quad Cities. I would be working in Moline. I am familiar with the general regional, and know about the climate.

I have an eye condition which prevents me from being able to drive. I have researched the public transit system, and it would be adequate for what I need. It might not be the best, but it is much better than where I live now.

I would like to ask some questions to get a better feel for the area.

I think since I would be working in Moline, I would like to live there to make my commute easier. What is Moline like? Is it pretty safe? Is there an area to avoid? Can you find a one bedroom apartment there for under $550?

I might as well ask what areas of the other three cities to avoid too.

Is Moline pretty self-sufficient. I mean, accept for maybe certain entertainment, can you pretty much find everything you would need there without constantly traveling between the other cities? I know they have the airport too, which is a plus for me.

Is Moline, and the Quad Cities in general. very hilly like Dubuque, IA. They have some monster hills there. Not the best for someone who walks a lot.

I get the feel that the Quad Cities is still fairly blue-collar and a bit conservative, but by no means super left or right. Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM

413 posts, read 1,596,917 times
I'll try to throw out some answers to a few of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post
I think since I would be working in Moline, I would like to live there to make my commute easier. What is Moline like? Is it pretty safe? Is there an area to avoid? Can you find a one bedroom apartment there for under $550?
I'd say Moline is one of the safer cities in the QC area, and it doesn't seem to have many of the rare but high-profile crime issues that Davenport and Rock Island have. I don't know the Illinois side of the QC as well as the Iowa side, so I'm not sure on areas to avoid. As far as apartments under $550, I think it is doable. If you make less than $26k a year there are a couple good options. One is the Leclaire in downtown Moline, which would be close to transit, and the other is a brand new complex called Valley View that appears to start at $550 a month.

Quote:
I might as well ask what areas of the other three cities to avoid too.
The whole "areas to avoid" thing can get blown out of proportion. You'll have to ask someone else on the Illinois side, but in Davenport the only places to definitely avoid are the Heatherton Drive area, and near the intersection of 14th and Gaines. Other areas of the QC may have problems, but they aren't as bad as a lot of people say.

Quote:
Is Moline pretty self-sufficient. I mean, accept for maybe certain entertainment, can you pretty much find everything you would need there without constantly traveling between the other cities? I know they have the airport too, which is a plus for me.
All of the Quad Cities are pretty tied together. Physically, as in you wouldn't know you're passing from Rock Island to Moline except for the sign, and as far as amenities. People drive to Moline for the QC airport or iWireless Center arena, drive to Davenport for various commercial or cultural amenities, Rock Island for The District, etc. You can probably get by just staying in Moline, but you won't be getting all of what the QC area has to offer. The bus systems are connected to an extent, but from what I hear its not perfect.

Quote:
Is Moline, and the Quad Cities in general. very hilly like Dubuque, IA. They have some monster hills there. Not the best for someone who walks a lot.
Its decently hilly here, but not quite as much as Dubuque. Like Dubuque, there's a big hill coming down into the river valley on both sides of the river, but once you get "uptown" its mostly just rolling smaller hills.
Quote:
I get the feel that the Quad Cities is still fairly blue-collar and a bit conservative, but by no means super left or right. Is that accurate?
I would agree that we're not super left or right, but I'd say the area definitely leans left. Some folks say that we're more the blue collar, union type of Democrats, but I think there's a decent amount of liberal types as well. Basically all of the Illinois politicians are Dems, and many of the local Iowa-side ones. Iowa in particular has a weird but interesting mix of liberal and conservative attitudes.

Anyway, hopefully someone from the Illinois side of the QC can fill in some of the gaps here, but I did my best. Let me know if you have more questions, and hopefully you decide to move to the area. I think its one of the up and coming metro areas in the Midwest.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,816,940 times
I live on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities. My opinion is that you won't have problems in Moline at all. Safe...very really. People are friendly and caring here overall. I had been gone 40 years, and, having lived in major metros where nobody cares about people they don't know or aren't acquainted with, I've found the folks here friendly, caring and kind overall. They aren't overly outgoing, but they will be there if you need them.
There are buses for public transportation. When I was a kid I used to take a bus from Rock Island to Davenport all the time, and I am sure people still do that.
The Quad Cities is Midwestern, which to me means conservative compared to, say, L.A. But the people are just very basic here and not particularly pretentious. Dr. Joyce Brothers' daughter is an eye Dr. here if you want to use that as a gauge. And remember this area was manufacturing and agriculture at one time, and now is agriculture and services since we have 3 gambling boats here now which brings in quite a bit of money I'm sure to the area.
One thing this area does have is good entertainment and acts that tour thru here--and the price to attend these events is surprisingly low compared to what you would pay in a major metro. I'm talking Cirque de Soliel quality acts. So, if this interests you, you will be able to take advantage of that perk here.
You won't find radical Democrats or Republicans here particularly. I think the above post pretty much says it all about the politics and says it spot on.
Can you get a one bedroom in a safe area for $550 or less? Yes, you should not have much problem finding one either. Many of the apartments I've seen in the paper run $525-550, and it probably wouldn't be all that much trouble to find a good one for $450 as I have a friend who has one like that.
The area is blue collar, but don't think that there aren't pockets of great wealth here, too. There are.
The area dresses casually all the time it seems now. You could live in slacks and a top year around probably. Very relaxed here.
The area is clean, lots of green and has a great number of activities like festivals year around. There is plenty of cheap entertainment here if you are so inclined.
Above post is correct as it is not all that hilly here at all.
Moline would be my choice if I didn't love the RIFAC (Rock Island Fitness and Activity Center), which has a track, work-out gym and pool which I used 4 times a week. I am a Sr. and pay $288 for the year, which is the cheapest price I have found in all my searches in other cities for a very clean, well done recreation center. This is the best activity center in the Quad Cities--and so cheap! If that's your thing, do join. They help is wonderful and the place is nice and clean, but it is in Rock Island. You will meet tons of Seniors there if you join, and many come from Moline to RIFAC, also.
If you look up the crime rate for Rock Island--which is supposedly where the crime is--the rating is a 5 out of 10, which is not high at all. Chicago rates like a 7 or 8 as does other metros I've lived in. Really, there is not all that much crime here, and the Police in this area for each city seem on the ball from what I see. Any crime here seems to be centrally located in a small area you will never go to as you would have no reason to I'm sure. Don't worry about crime here as it isn't that big of an issue.
If someone does commit a crime it seems to be splashed somewhere in the paper, which is probably a great way to embarrass the potential criminal enough to stop it.
This area, to me, is just a great, friendly place that has alot to offer if you are looking for a place to live where people will actually care about you.
I can only speak for the Trinity Hospital system in Rock Island, but I did look this place up with the Joint Commission (what medical professionals use for ratings), and it rated quite highly.
Traffic is mild here, but I have lived in only very major metros and have no comparison other than that.
Other than that, insofar as bad areas to avoid, there are so few here that it will take you just a day to learn them. And, frankly, you would have no reason to go to those areas, anyway. I did have a friend tell me that if you live in Moline, you should live above 23rd Avenue; and another friend who works for the City of Rock Island say that the trouble there is below the hill (below 18th Avenue); however, I know people who live below those Avenues in both cities and they are okay for years. There really aren't many bad areas here, and you should check with the Police Department before renting or buying and ask what they think. I'm sure they will talk to you as I have done this very thing even in Chicago (where they have no time for you regardless). They always have helped me alot when I asked questions. People really will take the time to answer your questions here. Like I said: friendly and caring.
Sorry to jump around subject to subject, but am just typing thoughts as they come.
If you have any questions, please ask or pm me. I am happy to help you.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 10-13-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,451,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I live on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities. My opinion is that you won't have problems in Moline at all. Safe...very really. People are friendly and caring here overall. I had been gone 40 years, and, having lived in major metros where nobody cares about people they don't know or aren't acquainted with, I've found the folks here friendly, caring and kind overall. They aren't overly outgoing, but they will be there if you need them. ..... snip......

Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 18,963 times
Default Moline

Wow, I like this question! I must say it's painful to answer because you have what my dream would be...to work in Moline, IL. It is my favorite place on earth, and I've been all over the globe.

First, Moline is super affordable. I think it's one of the most affordable places in the country.

Second, it's beautiful! There are so many parks. They do have hills, but you can avoid them. Depends where you go to walk. The schools are good, and there is everything you need right there. They have actually started building a lot. I've been going there since 1980, from birth. My grandparents lived there. Now they have every store you could possibly want. Lovely old Victorian homes go for under $75K in most cases.

The downtown is remodeled and has a John Deere theme. It's a great place to visit. The people are friendly in the whole town. Plus, there is no area of Moline I would deem unsafe.

I seriously hope you consider moving there. I can think of no better place to be. If you want to join a great community and are willing to be a part of a growing and exciting city, Moline is it. Good luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: