Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 AM

196 posts, read 966,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch66 View Post
I considered moving to Rockford a few years ago. When I found out that Rockford has been rated in the top 10 worst places to live since the 90's. I told Company that was recruiting me " They could not pay me enough to move my Family there"
Good Luck
I wish I would of saw that article!
ooops....
oh well., the flooding has two places of interest., One is in Rockford., and yes it was a heavy rain issue, but it also had to do with poor engineering and planning in low areas. I had several employees over the course of three years who were always having there basements flooded. NOT FUN! Rockford, Northern Roscoe, ( Chicory Ridge- did not use floor tiles for drainage )
and various older areas around town. Prescott and a few others. Look up flooding and see th epeople with water in their yeard up to their knees. If the property is over 5 years old, go walk around the suburbs and talk to people.
There is good and bad everywhere.
The pizza sucks here...but I like Machesney, Roscoe and Rockton. Parts of Rockford are ok..just like any other city. I think congestion is a lot better here than Chicago or Will County.
Generic postings result in generic responses. What is most important to you?
Hire an inspector from outside the area before you buy.
You can have an awesome yard and some great neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 AM

196 posts, read 966,624 times
Default Rockford-Winnebago County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch66 View Post
I considered moving to Rockford a few years ago. When I found out that Rockford has been rated in the top 10 worst places to live since the 90's. I told Company that was recruiting me " They could not pay me enough to move my Family there"
Good Luck
I wish I would of saw that article!
ooops....
oh well., the flooding has two places of interest., One is in Rockford., and yes it was a heavy rain issue, but it also had to do with poor engineering and planning in low areas. I had several employees over the course of three years who were always having there basements flooded. NOT FUN! Rockford, Northern Roscoe, ( Chicory Ridge- did not use floor tiles for drainage )
and various older areas around town. Prescott and a few others. Look up flooding and see th epeople with water in their yeard up to their knees. If the property is over 5 years old, go walk around the suburbs and talk to people.
There is good and bad everywhere.
The pizza sucks here...but I like Machesney, Roscoe and Rockton. Parts of Rockford are ok..just like any other city. I think congestion is a lot better here than Chicago or Will County.
Generic postings result in generic responses. What is most important to you?
Hire an inspector from outside the area before you buy.
You can have an awesome yard and some great neighbors.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 AM

4 posts, read 35,967 times
Thanks for your response Cavewoman, I have taken your advice and am having an inspection done on the building. Also in checking out the flooding I got a map and info from FIMA that the flooding has been corrected

Old 07-07-2007, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 37,541 times
Too bad, dch66, don't believe everything you read! Rockford is awesome. Lived here my whole life. No problems, everyone is very nice, housing very reasonable. Schools? not the best, but depends which school you go to. What's bad is Chicago people coming in and overcrowding everything.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,145 times
Default Great little town!

You should try Stillman Valley. We aren't far from the airport and we have GREAT schools! Keep us in mind!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 18,093 times
Talking Lived my entire life in Rockford area....

I live in Loves Park and have lived in the Rockford area for over 40 years.

I am frustrated by the increase in crime activity in the county but have recently joined a neighborhood watch group because I chose to be part of the solution rather than complain about the problems and just move away. The increase in activity is not just in Rockford, it's a plague across our country in the form of substance abuse (drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling, you name it). I'm a recovering alcoholic by the way.

Rockford, Loves Park and Machesney Park are closely bound. The only seperation is the school district and taxes. The Rockford area is very conservative. In my opinion, this is a good thing. We still consider ourselves a small town and make small town decisions regarding what we do and do not want in our community.

The recent change in public schools going back to neighborhood schools is positive. Although, I suspect the "west siders" will have a different opinion. This should not dissuade anyone from moving to the Rockford area.

You get what you make out of your life. You can be the happiest person (me) or the most disgruntled (cavewoman) but in the end it's up to you. No matter where you live, you will always encounter the same issues. There is no garden of eden.

So, that said, make a choice and choose to make it a postive one. Good Luck

Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 18,093 times
Sorry Cave, I just read what I thought was a lot of negative stuff in other postings. No harm meant.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 20,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The surrounding towns around Rockford are pretty nice, you should look into those (ie Winnebago, Cherry Valley, etc). Rockford has some bad sides and some nice sides. I like what I saw along 39/51 south of town, lots of nice new developments going in up there.
Where exactly along 39/51 are there nice developments? I'm looking for an apartment in that area for 1 person thanks.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
This thread is two years old. I suspect the OP has sorted it out by now.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 18,297 times
Smile Rockford - response to bls

Stay in IL if you can - you will receive an instant raise - Wis income taxes are much more than IL - schools are better, but I can't speak to Beloit.

Property taxes are very high in Rockford. We are in Plainfield, Il and trying to move further north closer to WI cos' all our kids are in Madison area but can't afford to move to WI - will tax our retirement income.

So I would stay in IL, stay away from Loves park - I hear Rockton or Roscoe, Honnengah school district is good one - can't remember if in Rockton or Roscoe. If you want a good realtor to ask questions of, call Adam Hart at Whitehead Realtors. He is young and knows the area quite well.

I am not a realtor - I pushed the wrong button on the profile, but we have been looking in that area for a while, just can't sell our place in Plainfield.

Good luck - I would stay away from Rockford, if it were me and try Poplar Grove, Machesney Park, Rockton or Roscoe, or there are nice other towns in the area - Tell Adam what you want exactly and he will help you.

Tell him Pam and Tim from Plainfield sent you. Good luck bls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois