Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 29,849 times

Advertisements

My husband has offered a position in Rockford IL and we thinking about moving to the area. We visited the area last week and I have to say I am scared of the west side of town and the city of Loves Park. We are looking for somewhere to rent at first. We have 3 children, 12, 13 & 17. So also interested in the area school districts. He is willing to drive about 30 minutes or so into town to the job, which is near the Rockford airport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are also looking into Beloit WI. Does anyone know how there taxes or schools are???

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
The surrounding towns around Rockford are pretty nice, you should look into those (ie Winnebago, Cherry Valley, etc). Rockford has some bad sides and some nice sides. I like what I saw along 39/51 south of town, lots of nice new developments going in up there.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Where are you moving from?

Beloit is basically Rockford North, only with slighty nicer neighborhoods (though not by much), slightly nicer schools, and good ol' Wisconsin-style out-of-this-world property taxes. Expect to pay about $2,500 per $100,000 of assessed value.

Other areas around Rockford to look into are Belvidere, Machesney Park, Roscoe, and Rockton.

Last edited by Drover; 05-11-2007 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 29,849 times
I am moving from Parma OH, which is just outside of Cleveland. Any suggestions on apartments?? We are thinking of renting for the first 6 months to an idea of the area for ourselves. Is the west side of town good?? How about the schools??

Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Your best source of info for schools is the schoolmatters.com website. Rockford schools have a reptutation for being so-so, which is one of the reasons why towns around Rockford are booming while Rockford's population slips.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM

196 posts, read 969,607 times
Machesney, Roscoe and Rockton are your best bets.
renting is easy here...almost too easy.
I would rent in Roscoe and take your time finding a neighborhood.
May take a lil longer than 30 mins. depending on your speed.

Beloit....(uch) to much trash.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 AM

196 posts, read 969,607 times
Lucky him....not to many jobs out here. Make sure he gets a contract. Home prices flip flop down and up.
Take your time....otherwise you may be stuck here like me.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 36,031 times
WOW! you guys are scaring me. I am selling my home in Frankfort IL. and was going to buy a new condo in Roscoe. I have been reading everything I can on Rockford, and surrounding areas. Most of the things I have read sound good.... then someone made a posting that said watch for flooding???? then I read about poor construction??? Am I making a mistake? PLEASE tell me more. I don't have any kids in school, I'm older and alone, so schools aren't an issue. Work is.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 14,766 times
I live in Rockford and love it. I have two teens in school - one in public and one in private, and both are doing great and love their schools. You can generally get more house for your money in Rockford than in all of the little surrounding areas (Roscoe, Winnebago, etc.). These areas are experiencing lots of growing pains with school overcrowding, etc. I have many friends who live in the surrounding towns though who like it. Personally, I'm not interested in driving as much as they do just so they can live in a house in a subdivision in the middle of what used to be a cornfield. Most of these towns aren't very charming. I like being a short drive from the library, riverfront, stores, theaters, churches, etc., and just living in a well established neighborhood. Are their problems? Sure. Tell me where there aren't. I don't know where the flooding thing is coming from. There was a rare flash flood in Rockford this past year when we had unbelievable rain, but that was a freak thing. If you are working near the Rockford Airport (which is a wonderful airport, by the way) it makes no sense to rent all the way up in Roscoe. If you are determined to live outside the city I would look at Stillman Valley or Byron - both south of Rockford and closer to the airport.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 PM

59 posts, read 248,649 times
I considered moving to Rockford a few years ago. When I found out that Rockford has been rated in the top 10 worst places to live since the 90's. I told Company that was recruiting me " They could not pay me enough to move my Family there"
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois