Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,874,140 times

Advertisements

Northern Illinois outside of Chicago is depressing. I refer specifically to the Kankakee and Rockford areas. I don't know about Peru/Ottawa firsthand.

Mid-state Illinois outside of Danville and Decatur is livable, and Wisconsin outside of Beloit/Janesville and the worst parts of Milwaukee is really nice. Between Peoria, Chicago, and Madison, it seems to be something of a Bermuda Triangle.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Beloit/Janesville and the worst parts of Milwaukee is really nice.

To the OP: Northern IL is unique, there are some lovely small towns, rust-belt larger towns, charming quaint towns, etc. There is something for everyone here. Chicagoland is a monster, it offers everything you can imagine, but you end up paying out the wazoo for it. There are some smaller suburbs on the far western edges (ie Elburn, Wasco, etc) that are still "cheap" compared to the rest of DuPage and Kane suburbs, but those will soon be overly developed, so if you want to get into one of those suburbs, do it now.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was saying that once you get west of Naperville, I would steer the car north or south. The rest of northern Illinois does not impress, and thus I argue most people would be better served by either mid-state Illinois, or trekking north to Wisconsin.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I was saying that once you get west of Naperville, I would steer the car north or south. The rest of northern Illinois does not impress, and thus I argue most people would be better served by either mid-state Illinois, or trekking north to Wisconsin.
No, nevermind. Your sentence was strange, but I knew what you meant, you just worded it wrong and it sounded funny.

As for being west of Naperville, there are quite a few great towns, especially in the northern half. You have Ottawa, Galena, Cherry Valley, Elburn, Wasco, all the burbs along Randall (Geneva, St. Charles, Crystal Lake, Algonquin, Sleepy Hollow, etc), Sycamore, DeKalb, SE Rockford, et, etc, etc.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, nevermind. Your sentence was strange, but I knew what you meant, you just worded it wrong and it sounded funny.

As for being west of Naperville, there are quite a few great towns, especially in the northern half. You have Ottawa, Galena, Cherry Valley, Elburn, Wasco, all the burbs along Randall (Geneva, St. Charles, Crystal Lake, Algonquin, Sleepy Hollow, etc), Sycamore, DeKalb, SE Rockford, et, etc, etc.
The only thing around here that is sounding funny is this praise for DeKalb ...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The only thing around here that is sounding funny is this praise for DeKalb ...
Noone is "praising" DeKalb.

DeKalb is not a bad town to live in. Would I want to live there? Not really. But Id rather live there than Rockford, Ill tell you that much. Besides, DeKalb is growing, has several nice new subdivisions, job growth, etc. It needs some improvement, but its hardly a bad place to live.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM

209 posts, read 1,086,013 times
Dixon, Sterling, and Rock Falls have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. They are good towns though. Travel 45 mins. to Davenport, IA for good stores, unless Wal Mart is your thing, which Sterling, Dixon, and Rochelle have.

DRUG problems are HUGE, you'll run into them somewhere.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:42 PM

54 posts, read 305,352 times
Sterling doesn't have the drug problems that it used to have. Like was said earlier, Dixon/Sterling have a drug task force.

Sterling is home of Wahl Clipper (Electric Hair Trimmers/clippers), SSM (the former Northwestern Steel and Wire Mill, which for all the naysayers is projected to make 6.5 Million this year in PROFIT.), and a number of Manufacturing positions. Sorry to say, there just isn't much for teens to do around there (which may also have led to the recent crimes around Mount Carroll where teens were committing crimes because they had "Nothing to do")

Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,039 times
I have lived in Sterling my whole life (apart from college and some international traveling shortly after), and while I agree that there is not a whole lot to do in the immediate area, I have never been at a loss for entertainment. I go to movies a lot (for $7.00 rather than the $10 or more you have to pay in larger cities), and go to Rockford, the Quad Cities, or Chicago when I want a larger selection of shopping or cultural activities. Crime is low in most neighborhoods, and generally people are friendly and helpful. As for the assertion that schools here are not good, I have never felt that. I attended St. Mary's school in grade school and the public schools for junior high and high school. I feel I received a superior education, although now I know the schools are struggling with funding and have had to cut some extra programs due to residents resisting a tax increase. All in all, I believe that Sterling is a great city for someone that doesn't mind a slower pace of life. Hope to see you here!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 58,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay W. View Post
My family is relocating to the sterling/rock falls area.Just wondering what its like Im in high school.Hows the schools and what the area overall like.anyone know about it?
The area is very interesting. Sterling's getting a waterfront and shops like old navy, tj maxx, starbucks, etc.Rock Falls is pretty much jist like sterling but smaller. Both high schools have rich sports traditions and good academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois