U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM

38 posts, read 75,191 times
Again thank you everyone for the replies.

I guess the original question was misleading since I know the QC will not feel like the mid sized "big cities" such as St. Louis, KC, or Indy.

A better question should have been "Does the QC 'feel' as big as the population would indicate"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM

388 posts, read 1,024,802 times
How can you get 135,000 population when Davenport has 100,000 and Moline has 43,000, and that's only 2 of the 5 cities that make up the "Quad" Cities? That's some fuzzy math.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,859,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
How can you get 135,000 population when Davenport has 100,000 and Moline has 43,000, and that's only 2 of the 5 cities that make up the "Quad" Cities? That's some fuzzy math.
East Moline
City 21,134 (2006)
East Moline, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rock Island
City 38,442 (2006)
Rock Island, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moline
City 43,016 (2007)
Moline, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bettendorf
City 32,445 (2000)
Bettendorf, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davenport
City 100,827 (2008)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport,_Iowa

and I did forget Davenport when I did my calculations lol.

The extra 100k to the population hardly changes my opinion on the issue though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My apologies for the error!

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-30-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM

148 posts, read 382,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman of Leisure View Post
Not to start an argument and I respect your opinion. I am just a bit confused by your post. Obviously it would not feel like STL...
What confuses me about your post is if a cluster of small cities spill into each other and has the amenities and everything else the QCA has going for it how does it not feel like one area...
I see you live in the Peoria area which is roughly the same size in terms of population to the QCA. So are you telling me that Peoria feels larger than the QCA...
1. I was answering the question by the OP as to whether the QC felt like a big city.

2. I did not say the QC's do not feel like one area, I said they don't feel like one big city. As far a being a coherent metro, yes they do feel like they are linked as one metro.

3. I did not mention Peoria nor did I make a comparision of the QC's with Peoria.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM

148 posts, read 382,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice57 View Post
Again thank you everyone for the replies.

I guess the original question was misleading since I know the QC will not feel like the mid sized "big cities" such as St. Louis, KC, or Indy.

A better question should have been "Does the QC 'feel' as big as the population would indicate"
I'm always surprised by the metros with populations between roughly 200,000 to 500,000 because in my opinion, most of them never feel as large as the population suggests.

As I mentioned before the QC's feel somewhat bigger than the places you mentioned in your OP (e.g. Columbia), but not a great departure from those places.

In my opinion, what affects the feel of QC metro the most is that it is less an anchor type metro (metro with larger central city anchoring a surrounding cluster significantly smaller communities). It's a more decentralized metro, a metro area of several somewhat relatively close sized cities that have grown together (although some argue that Davenport is the anchor city). That makes the QC's feel more spread out. This also means that there's not single downtown or center like in anchor metros. (However on the plus side that means the QC's have several downtowns to explore instead of just one).

Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 AM

5,605 posts, read 5,469,312 times
Default No It Feels Like A 377,000 Metropolitan Area

Quote:
I may be looking for employment in the QC. I have visited several times but never really thought about moving there. Until now I've live in two 100,000 people college towns (Columbia, MO and Champaign, IL).

Howest2008.....My Father-In-Law lives in Milwaukee Wis. and his
daughter my wife and myself live in the San Francisco Bay Area , and
when we drive across the country to see my Father-In-Law we
attempt to stop in Quad City Iowa/Illinois and it does appear to BE
ONE SMALL METRO and feels pretty much like a Des Moines Iowa
without any Skyscrapers...!

I like bigger cities and wouldn't want to live in a place smaller (in terms of population, amenities, entertainment, etc) then where I live now.

Howest2008 It would feel more URBAN than the college towns that you lived in
"and has" quiet a bit more Big Time Entertainment going on in the general area....and
doesn't it have Arena 1 Football..or is that Des Moines, well anyways That's Major League
Sports TIER 2 Level at least....

So my question is does the QC "feel" like a city of 377,000 (wiki number) or does it feel like like 4 distinct areas with no cohesion between them?
Thank you!
Thank You it's feel like one Metropolitan Area......

Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM

94 posts, read 101,169 times
"Big city" is all relative. I'm from Chicago, so it does not seem too big of an area to me, but if we are to compare it to other areas of the same size, I'd say somewhere like Peoria (370,000+ metro) seems a lot more urban and bigger.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 AM

29 posts, read 50,632 times
My QC perspective is as an occasional visitor, not a resident. To me, "the cities" as locals often refer to them do not have an "urban" feel or ambiance in the same way sense that Peoria or even Champaign-Urbana do, in spite of the total QC metro area population. Peoria and Champaign-Urbana are much more like larger metro areas in terms of diversity, culture and entertainment (i.e. art exibits, concerts, performing arts and sporting events, even with the the minor league venues present in the QC). In part, this because Peoria and CU both have major universities; the QC do not (most metro areas of 377K do). No comparison in terms of skylines (Champaign added 24 and 18 floor buildings last year to an already impressive skyline; another one with more than 20 stories is planned. The Peoria skyline crossing over the river from East Peoria is very impressive). That said, part of the charm of the QC is that each of the component communities retains a distinct identity with a relaxed, small city pace and friendly people. The QC area has shopping and retail venues on par with metro areas with comparable populatons. There are favorable developments taking place at the Rock Island Arsenal that could lead to additional growth in the area (a large Army HQ headed by a General Officer is in the process of moving there). As an outsider, I don't perceive that Davenport is the anchor community. My feeling is that Moline fills that roll. Davenport has nothing that compares with what Moline has done on the riverfront (The Mark and adjacent establishments). Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

37 posts, read 70,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The cultures in the two states are different. I have friends who live on the IL side that say they have no reason to go to Iowa unless they are visiting friends who live in the mountain states - or they work in Iowa. I have friends in Iowa that the same about Illinois. Here are some area newspspers and local TV station I found online where you can get a feel for the Quad Cities. And links to stats for the four towns. All four areas area surrounded by farms and ranches. Champaign was too. QC is not only the midwest, the four towns are located in the two largest corn producing states in Amreica. You will find terrific people in both states.
I lived in the area for awhile and liked it overall. I chuckled when reading your post. I don't think that the cultures of the respective sides of the river are much different but the people do behave as if they are. I encountered the exact same thing with Illinoisans and Iowans saying the same things about the other side of the river (I had a similar feeling when listening to Serbs and Croats talk about each other but of course the QC version of that phenomena is far more benign) and rarely wanting to go to the other side. Of course, these rivalries just intensify during football and basketball season. Each sides' favorite and least favorite teams seem to be the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Illini.

I haven't lived in the area in a long time, but I'd say the Iowa side is a little wealthier and a little whiter than the Illinois side but the quality of life of the two sides were reasonably similar when I lived there. I think that the natural area beyond the cities is a little nicer on the Illinois side. Beyond the Iowa cities the land is mostly cornfields whereas beyond the Illinois cities you have the Rock River area and some nice recreational areas close to the Mississippi.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 AM

37 posts, read 70,596 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies.

Basically I was wondering if the cities combined seem like one continuous area (much like Champaign, Urbana and Savoy) or if it really feels like 5 detached areas of 100k or less.

Again thank you for all the replies
I lived there for a few years in the late eighties (on both sides) and I would vote for "5 detached areas of 100k or less" over "one continuous area." However, each side of the river is more or less physically continuous. Rock Island and Moline run into each other and so do Davenport and Bettendorf. But, the downtowns are distinct and separated by some distances. In the areas further from the downtowns (well beyond the river bluffs) you have the outlying commercial (and newer residential development) areas, and there is little sense of going from one town to the other in some of these areas.

One more thing. You should be a bit careful of where you live there. Just because Davenport is in Iowa doesn't mean that it has the ambiance of Ozzie and Harriet's neighborhood throughout the city. It has some rough neighborhoods. I was the victim of crime on multiple occasions during my time there and if you look at the crime figures for Davenport on City Data they are quite high for a town of its size. Bettendorf is very safe but also pricier. I'd say that the Illinois side, on the whole, is safer than Davenport (particularly Moline). Rock Island has some dicey neighborhoods, too, but I think Rock Island may seem worse than it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois