Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,864 times

Advertisements

We have moved from Detroit 3 yrs ago to a small town in NC which I simply love. Now my husband wants to re-locate to Rockford, Il. I have done some research in this area and found that Rockford would be like moving back to Detroit. I have been scouting the nearby cities and one city in particular is Cherry Valley. Any good thoughts about this place? We also have a 3yr old who attends one of the best Daycare/Pre-School here in NC and we want to continue with a great educational system along with a good neighborhood/environment. All comments and suggestions are welcomed as I'm scouting from the internet. Thx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM

49 posts, read 177,659 times
Hehe not quiet but it certainly isn't that great. Rockford has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, rated the 52nd most dangerous city in the country in 2008, and the taxes (Sales and property) are high. Alot of the area suburbs are better but good luck finding a decent job. Avoid the west side and the near East/Southeast side of Rockford like the plague. Cherry Valley is pretty good but again good luck finding a decent job. I'm not sure where CherryValley students go to school though so that might be something to look into. They might get stuck going to Rockford schools which aren't that good.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,827 times
Cherry Valley is a cute little town. The village is in the Rockford School District (District #205), which is one of the largest districts in the state, if I recall correctly.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times
I just moved here and we love it. The gifted program is one of the very best in country, btw.

I'm not a big fan of Cherry Valley but I'm sure it fine. Jobs, like anywhere else are tight especially if you lack an education. The healthcare, accounting and legal fields seem to be going well. The business I run is construction related and we're swamped and have recently hired guys so not all is lost.

As for a dangerous city? LOL! is all I can say. The worst part of town pales in comparison by 100x to places like South St Pete or Tampa.

Property taxes are high, but real estate is dirt cheap. I bought pretty much the same house here as I have in Clearwater for 300K less. RE Ins and car ins is also extremely low compared to what I used to in Florida.

Pretty decent place to raise a family if you ask me. I live outside of town in the country, surrounded by corn fields though. Just me, the family, corn and geese. Not bad.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times
Traderx, good to hear your all settled in and you like it there. I was wondering how you were doing. Winter is coming soon and I would bet you will like the change from the mild winters in Florida. I liked winter until about mid January, anyways glad your liking it there.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,772 times
Thanks Havasu.

So far so good. The weather really hasn't been all that bad yet. The sun doesn't shine as much, but after all those years of the sun betaing down on us it'll take a little time before the depression sets in..lol!

Going back to Florida over xmas break while the kids are out of school so hopefully it snows before then because my kids want snow so bad you can't believe it. If we're not here and it snows they're going to go nuts.

Hope things are going good for you.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,827 times
^^^Chance of rain mixing with snow on Thanksgiving

Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 20,579 times
I would definitely try to find jobs before moving out here... it can be tight. My husband and I live in the DeKalb area, about 40 minutes southeast of Rockford. We love this area. Easy to get to Rockford and about an hour from Chicago. DeKalb's schools aren't the best, but Sycamore and Genoa's are pretty good. I also love Rockton which is north of Rockford. But the land up there is beautiful and their schools are pretty good. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 18,472 times
Rockford IL has to be one of the worst places to live in the USA. Violence in the high schools alone is out of control. Girls get jumped in the halls between classes daily getting there heads smashed into the lockers and once down on the ground kicked repeatedly. One boy in my sons gym class was jumped in the locker room. The attacker took the locks off the lockers and smashed the boys face over and over. My sons said he had never seen so much blood. (Nothing was reported on the news or to the parents). This happened in November. Just last week a boy was stabbed in the restroom while being robbed. This is happening at one of the so called best High Schools in Rockford (Guilford). At Auburn High 2 boys were arrested last week for bringing guns to school. Usually most kids only carry knives. I have 17 year old twins and hear it all. My brother is a fireman and says the police and the media dont report half of the crimes that go on each day here to the public. There are no safe neighboorhoods left. I have lived here my whole life and have made the decision to move to Baraboo WI the last day of school. I'm telling you, everyday my kids come home from school alive and without bruises I thank god.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 16,435 times
I would definetly look into rockford rocton area much nicer schools and area and only 20 mins from rockford. Rockford has definetly been going down hill for many years. We used to be a huge manufacturing city until all the jobs were lost or relocated. Crime is bad and schools suck here and not to mention high taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois