Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,044,196 times

Advertisements

I'll admit to being sort of confused by this as well. What exactly is the difference between horses and other sorts of animals that makes them 'special'. What is supposed to happen to a horse now that quite simply needs euthanized? I know that horsemeat is considered acceptable meat in some cultures and I'm sure that horses, like cows, and pigs, and whatever else have similar 'useful' qualities etc.

I guess because I've never been all that fond of horses (sure they are beautiful) and am in fact rather frightened of them, I've never really given to much thought to the issue. I am also not particularly disgusted by the thought of horse meat moreso than than alligator meat, snake meat, or any other meat deemed 'unusual' by American cultural mores. Count me in with some of the 'clueless' about this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 PM

989 posts, read 2,756,112 times
Question Anyone ever had Horsemeat?

To all the people who compared cows to horses... you are correct, both are delicious (the best sausage I've ever had, in fact)! You have to go outside the country though.

I don't believe that people's pets should be stolen and slaughtered and of course every effort should be made to give them to willing homes. It also seems like a waste of a lot of good meat to just dump the unwanted ones in the Thames.

People in China have chickens as pets, but that doesn't mean you can't order lemon chicken at a Chinese restaurant.

This is an issue dictated by emotion and not logic.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'll admit to being sort of confused by this as well. What exactly is the difference between horses and other sorts of animals that makes them 'special'. What is supposed to happen to a horse now that quite simply needs euthanized? I know that horsemeat is considered acceptable meat in some cultures and I'm sure that horses, like cows, and pigs, and whatever else have similar 'useful' qualities etc.
I think here in the U.S. they're used primarily in animal feed, such as dog food. I'd also guess that at least some of the meat is sold for human consumption in other countries.

Last edited by Drover; 05-22-2007 at 11:35 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM
SP1 SP1 started this thread

24 posts, read 75,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3Girls View Post
Then you might want to look into the truth of the matter. Horses that are slaughtered were old, abandoned, ill, or otherwise "Un-wanted". Horses of "value" are too expensive and the slaughterhouses didn't pay much.

This is not only NOT the truth of the matter it is a lie. When do people eat old cattle, and pay a premium price for it? They don't. Cavel is slaughtering perfect fat and happy horses. I know of a few racehorse stakes winners that were headed for the slaughterhouse and I had 2 racehorses at my farm that were rescued. One had one over $100,000 and the other was a great grandson of Northern Dancer. I saw another at an auction, he won about $120,000 and only 6 years old. Yes he was injured, in the line of service to man and now his reward for his faithfulness was a trip to the butcher. NO, that would be too kind, a butcher only kills one animal, the slaughterhouse pushes them through at a few hundred in a day, maybe 500. The rush job creates the problem of horses being butchered alive and conscious.
I take issue with have sick or old horses being slaughtered for food for people. I have a 36 year old horse, he's arthritic but not cripped, I hope my grandkids treat me better than what you think of the elderly. My 36 year old was a great champion, he won many prestigious awards and babysat many kids, riders of all levels and recognized what gear to go in and what the judge said. Horses are sensitive and loyal, unlike some humans.

KY and TN are having real problems with all the abandoned horses simply being set free in the woods to die from starvation, car collissions etc...

You are now repeating the known to be lie about Kentucky horses roaming the streets. This story was a plant by the slaughter industry. How dumb, follow like sheep.

Horses are not wild animals. When horses get old, sick or can no longer "worK' they become a burden and are often left to die.

Some horses are wild, they get slaughtered too. Because they can't work, well those deserve a retirement, sick ones can be euthanized, not brutalized and terrorized to death in their senior years or because they are lame. Has anyone heard about the foal born in the kill chute? What story, but it's happened more than once but they only called a rescue once, the vet made them do it, no doubt. By the way, I own a horse that was captured in a round up from a national park which free roamed for over 100 years. I'd call that wild, he was in a kill pen at an auction which is what happens to the national park horses after the round ups.

Seems like a real good story was on NPR - so you might want to look there.
Seems you might want to get your facts straight before you post again.

start here:
www.marynash.org (broken link)

Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 AM

We've all considered the consequences and do take in horses. However if you want to own any animal you have accepted the responsibility of ownership and proper care of that animal, we did not. You better think about the consequences of horse ownership before you get one and not dump your responsibility on someone else. You're the kind of person who buys a puppy then when it pees in the house you dump it at the shelter and expect them to take care of your pets. You treat the slaughterhouse as a horse shelter and when the horse becomes inconvenient you dump them.

Today, most people don't need horses, they are for pleasure and sport. So if you're not prepared to always care for your horse then DON'T GET ONE. You are advocating irresponsible ownership.
Horses are not eaten in America, the slaughterhouses are owned by foreign corporations, they pollute our streams and rivers and pay no taxes and Cavel has been evading their fines for their illegal discharges into the water for a couple years now. They have always been in violation with way too many BODs in their discharge. But prior to rebuilding their plant they had dumped directly into the stream behind their plant via a pipe from their building.

I am a horse owner and agree that ending horse slaughter is bad for the industry. What are we to do with horses that are unfit to use because they are old or unsafe? I guess I'll just drop mine at the local human society and let it be their problem!

[+] Rate this post positively

farmgirl1213
View Public Profile
Send a private message to farmgirl1213
Send email to farmgirl1213
Find all posts by farmgirl1213
Add farmgirl1213 to Your Buddy List

Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Drover
Space Moose Join Date: Nov 2006
1,178 posts, read 231,624 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl1213
I am a horse owner and agree that ending horse slaughter is bad for the industry. What are we to do with horses that are unfit to use because they are old or unsafe? I guess I'll just drop mine at the local human society and let it be their problem!

Better yet, maybe you can drop it off at the front doorstep of someone who pushed for this ban because it offends their moral aesthetics without really giving much thought to the consequences.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think here in the U.S. they're used primarily in animal feed, such as dog food. I'd also guess that at least some of the meat is sold for human consumption in other countries.

You obviously have no clue, they haven't used horse in dog food in MANY years, not even in Canada. Most of the horse flesh is sold to foreign countries for human consumption, MOST OF IT, not just some. That's where the money is. GEEZ, before you write something know what you're talking about. This is how misinformation is spread.

The only thing they do with skinny or aged horses is to sell them to some zoos and they are turning the meat away too because of the drugs the horses use. Racehorses and show horses are often laden with drugs such as Lasix and Bute and also fly repellents, all deadly to humans and anyone that ingests even small quantities. Lasix would cause miscarriages in pregnant women and Bute causes death.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Some people will eat anything

Before you commit to eating what is often stolen from someone's back yard, a family pet horse you should eat your own dog or cat and leave our horses alone. Ferdinand, the great Kentucky Derby winner was eaten in Japan, because they don't mind eating anything either. If you go to China you can eat dogs and cats but they also kill their new born babies if they are the wrong gender. There are still cultures that eat human flesh, they think it tastes good.

This society chooses not to eat horse, for many reasons. Go visit Washington, D. C. and look at the statues, where are the great pigs rearing with their generals on their backs during the Revolutionary war. Do you realize how important horses were to building this nation? We ate cows, pigs, chickens and maybe more but the horses were only eaten in desperate times and were never raised for food.

It's inconcievable to me that anyone would compare a horse to a COW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

I guess because I've never been all that fond of horses (sure they are beautiful) and am in fact rather frightened of them, I've never really given to much thought to the issue. I am also not particularly disgusted by the thought of horse meat moreso than than alligator meat, snake meat, or any other meat deemed 'unusual' by American cultural mores. Count me in with some of the 'clueless' about this issue.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,044,196 times
You are obviously very passionate and feel strongly toward horses, I'm rather indifferent toward horses and don't really like them all that much, neither position is intrinsically better than the other. On a theoretically ethical level, I do not have a problem with horsemeat (on a practical level I probably wouldn't eat it, I, like most, have grown up with the American cultural mores that dictate that horsemeat and dogmeat, etc are taboo and I would admittedly be uncomfortable crossing that boundary ... although I have tried snakemeat, it wasn't bad). However, I certainly advocate responsible care of animals and would never own an animal that I could not commit to taking care of.

It seems to me the issue here at hand is how the horses are being slaughtered. If a slaughterhouse is acting in an illegal and unethical manner, refuses to pay taxes, etc. by all means, shut them down. I am not opposed to eating meat, wearing leather, etc. However, I do oppose those entities that are openly abusive to animals, the environment, the local political system, etc. and if that has indeed been the modis operandi of these slaughterhouses, then I certainly will not weep for their departure (especially since I wasn't even aware of there existence until I read about them in the newspaper recently).

I certainly welcome discussion on this issue, and do not mind being educated in manners which I know little about. However, I do not like being patronized, you can stop that right now.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
SP1, dont belittle people, 99.9% of the people on this earth know nothing of the equines, myself included. If you want to inform/educate people, dont bash them, that will only turn people off.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Default not trying to bash but must correct

Do you see what they are saying, I just can't believe it. Some of the information they are sharing are totally false and people are believing it. They are ill informed even you have said you don't know much about equines, so why would someone state something as fact when they don't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
SP1, dont belittle people, 99.9% of the people on this earth know nothing of the equines, myself included. If you want to inform/educate people, dont bash them, that will only turn people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois