U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:35 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,680,036 times

Advertisements

The only Big Boy restaurant in the great state of Illinois is located outside of Danville, on the border with Indiana. The bad news is that it's not a very good Big Boy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:39 PM

26 posts, read 116,895 times
M type X you're killing me! lol But seriously, the beef house is between there as well, and there is some good food going on in there.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:11 AM

90,351 posts, read 115,626,845 times
I thought the Beef House was in Crawfordsville, IN. Am I thinking about some other restaurant?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:24 AM

Gasbuddy.com shows that regular unleaded is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP in Crawfordsville right now. I'll stop there rather than Danville or Brownsburg if I go to Indy on Sunday.

I mean it ... it's not not a very good Big Boy. The fries never taste right.
Only one more month until I get to go back up to Michigan again and get a real Big Boy combo! Urbana has a Perkins ... meh.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:37 AM

38,704 posts, read 98,823,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Urbana has a Perkins ... meh.
My wife and I both got sick after eating there last week. We wouldn't have done in the first place had her brother not insisted on going to that dull place. Never again will he talk us into going there. The Courier from now on!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 19,014 times
Wink Danville's Economics not only GM

X-Hoosier

As a 30 year resident of Danville I have to chuckle when I hear "out-of-town know it alls" say our local economic collapse is due only to GM leaving Danville. The reality is Danville has had a steady bleed off of jobs since the 1970s and I feel the real decline began after Nacco/Hyster shipped off hundreds of white-collar jobs and the quality families that came with them. With that said, lets get to the real issue with Danville. Danville is a boil on the ass of the state of Illinois! You can quote me on that. The lack of economic development in Danville hinges on two factors. First, the State of Illinois has no centralized development office. This means the local municipalities have no support from the state when battling other states over a prospective jobs and development package. Secondly, The Danville Area Economic Develpoment Corporation (Vermilion Advantage) has no public oversight. This group does nothing for real economic development within Danville. It serves the needs of the wealthy people who control it, not the people it should. I would love to receive factual information stating otherwise, but Vermilion Advantage looks from the outisde like it is controling the cost of labor in the county to benefit the generations old familes that run businesses in Danville and have influence over the land that could be used all through the I-74 corridor. I would be happy to sit with any board member and hear FACTS to the contrary.

I would like to end on a positive note. Danville can be a great place to live if you choose to make it one. I enjoy every aspect of my lifestyle here (friends, entertainment, parks, golf etc.). You need to travel for better living (dining & shopping), but you can always get a good meal at Garfield's, Gross' Burgers, Village Garden and many more. Our schools need help and our local goverment has done more for real quality-of -life improvement than any group I remember in the last 30 years. If you would like to make a friendly, positive home, you can do it and I would welcome you as a neighbor.

Last edited by DukeK; 07-09-2007 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM

296 posts, read 1,144,356 times
You can find cheap houses in town but land is a different story. Farmland/woods in central Illinois are at all-time high prices.

If you're looking for a house with acreage in the midwest you're better off going where the land is more marginal, southern iowa or central missouri.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeK View Post
Danville is a boil on the ass of the state of Illinois!
You told us we could quote you on that, so I did!

I see a lot of people from Danville and Decatur escaping their cities on the weekends and shopping in Champaign.

It would have been nice if Fithian had won the Honda plant, instead of Greensburg, Indiana. However, Honda wanted to be closer to their existing facilities in Ohio, and Illinois didn't exactly make any real offers. Daley has said that not even Chicago is immune - businesses can locate wherever they want, and the state should wake up.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 25,172 times
Default Born and raised in Danville/Tilton

Lived there the first 19 years of my life. My mother still lives in Tilton (suburb south of Danville). I loved growing up there, lots of places to play in the woods, river, Kickapoo Park was fantastic. We used to ride our bikes from Tilton, down the train tracks almost all the way to Kickapoo if we didn't find something else to do before we got there. I have gotton used to desert life (El Paso Tx.) and would never move back but I wish my children could have grown up there.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 40,342 times
I was raised in Rossville and now live between Rossville and Hoopeston. My wife works in Danville.

To be honest, Vermilion county as a whole is in the toilet, especially when compared to Champaign County. With the decline of many of the union factories, all those blue collar folks who really wanted to work, moved away to find work. All the white collar folks went with the company or to another job, but in the end moved away.

Don't even look into Hoopeston. A complete economic train wreck, the schools are getting worse and like Danville, those who want to work moved to where the work is and left town. All we have left are people who work out of town yet live in town, struggling business owners and thousands of people supported by the gov't. in one way or another.

The taxes in Vermilion county are rediculous when you consider the services you get for them. I don't mind paying taxes as long as they provide great services to those who pay them, not just those who don't.

If you really want to come back to Illinois, look into Champaign County, you will be much happier.

Not trying to sound like "Johnny Raincloud" or anything, but these are the facts. If I could get my wife to move, I would be gone in a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois