Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,503 times

Advertisements

With the drain for decent paying jobs in Rockford, are any current members commuting from Rockford into the Chicago Suburbs? if so:
1. Where
2. Commute time
3. What is the best route to Glenview, IL?

Unfortunately, due to my wife's job, we are unable to relocate. Anyone in the similar boat?

Thanks!

Rockfordian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Oh my, what a day to ask about COMMUTING TIMES. I mean seriously far less than 2" inches of snow fell and was cleared off the roads well before the peak AM rush hour and STILL there were MASSIVE delays getting most places.

I have friends that live in the SW corner of Glenview, practically in Niles, from there I doubt that they would want to commute much further than Schaumburg on a regular basis, as that might take an hour in snarled traffic.

You are talking a trip that is about 3X as far and would be even tougher to find alternatives on surface streets.

Coming from Rockford you are pretty much stuck with 90 to Schaumburg. From that point you MIGHT be able to head north on 290/53 and maybe take slog along on surface streets like Euclid/Lake to the northend of Glenview, or maybe head down to the 90/294 junction at O'Hare and then come back up to Dempster for Glenview's south end but MAN O MAN that is going to be one really harrowing day putting way over 150 miles round trip. You would be out on the road and at work approaching 14 hours a day...

Old 04-07-2010, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,476 times
Default Rockford to Glenview

My husband and I are originally from Chicago. We moved to Rockford for a job opportunity that lasted 12 years. Now we're stuck in Rockford with a house on the fashionable west side \Ö/.

My husband found a job in Arlington Heights, and makes the commute every day. It can be done!

My mother's house is in Glenview and I have a fast route:

I-90 to 53
53 N to Palatine
Palatine Expressway (turns into Willow)

The 53/Palatine Expressway will shave 20 minutes off the 90 to 294 route.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bombix; 04-07-2010 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombix View Post
My husband and I are originally from Chicago. We moved to Rockford for a job opportunity that lasted 12 years. Now we're stuck in Rockford with a house on the fashionable west side \Ö/.

My husband found a job in Arlington Heights, and makes the commute every day. It can be done!

My mother's house is in Glenview and I have a fast route:

I-90 to 53
53 N to Palatine
Palatine Expressway (turns into Willow)

The 53/Palatine Expressway will shave 20 minutes off the 90 to 294 route.

Good luck!
I live off Palatine Rd. between Rte 53 and I-294. In clear traffic, it takes me about 60 minutees to get to the I-90/I-39 junction from my house. Morning traffic coming IN from the west would be much longer because of traffic volume & stop & go traffic you encounter east of Barrington Rd. Add 10 to possibly 20 extra minutes.

From my house to The Glen is about 18 minutes in clear traffic. Add at LEAST 10 minutes in the morning because of the bottleneck between Milwaukee Av. and Saunders road. So you are looking at 1 hour 40 minutes and more if weather or accident is involved.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,791 times
Default Rockford Schaumburg Carpool & surrounding areas

I work in Schaumburg from 8am-5pm Mon-Fri. I am willing to drive someone there and back for $100 per week flat fee, everything included. No extra for gas & tolls. I work right around the corner from Woodfield Mall.

I am willing to drop you off directly at your job if you work in the immediate area around Woodfield Mall.

Leave Rockford at 6am and arrive in Schaumburg at approx 7am.
Leave Schaumburg at approx 5:30pm arrive in Rockford approx 6:30pm.

I drive a 2007 Chrysler 300, w/ full coverage insurance.

I am always on time to work, and I can even provide references.

Contact me for more details:
Minister Brandon Parker
[url=http://www.pastorbp.com]Pastor BP - Minister Brandon Parker[/url]
[email]planetbrandon23@yahoo.com[/email]
815-519-5835

Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
My father makes the reverse commute... from the near western suburbs to Rockford about 3 times/week. He owns a business in Rockford that he acquired from his brother years ago. Why he never bothered to relocate it closer to his residence, I'm not sure. It definitely can be done, but it's a haul and adds a lot of miles on your car per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois