U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 23,241 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a job opportunity near Duquoin. We have an elementary school age son and want of course the best options for him in terms of a GREAT school. Which city? A work commute of 30-40 minutes is ok. Currently we live in a very small town (2500) so a little bigger would be appreciated. We are also an interracial family so if you have feelings that one are would be more or less accepting, please comment. Our home purchase will be under 200k and we don't need acreage. Thank you in advance for your comments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 PM

711 posts, read 2,023,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywiigo View Post
We are looking at a job opportunity near Duquoin. We have an elementary school age son and want of course the best options for him in terms of a GREAT school. Which city? A work commute of 30-40 minutes is ok. Currently we live in a very small town (2500) so a little bigger would be appreciated. We are also an interracial family so if you have feelings that one are would be more or less accepting, please comment. Our home purchase will be under 200k and we don't need acreage. Thank you in advance for your comments.

I would say Marion, IL. It is the best city in southern Illinois in my opinion. It is basically a suburban town without the urb.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 PM

3,723 posts, read 6,368,045 times
I went to SIU in Carbondale and from what I remember its pretty run down. There are some nice pockets but its a college town, that's about it.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 AM

31 posts, read 114,469 times
Marion is about an hour, and C'dale about 30 minutes. Marion is a much better place(in my opinoin), but there are alot of nice smaller towns closer to Duquoin. And property prices are lower in the smaller towns, Duquoin is a nice place also, have you been there yet? Where do you live now?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,209 times
how far is Cobden from Carbondale and conversely How far Is carbondale from Chicago?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 AM

31 posts, read 114,469 times
Cobden is about 30 minutes, and a beautiful drive, beautiful country. Chicago is about 350 miles, 5-6 hours

Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM

We are currently in East Texas. I know the weather will be much different but we both lived most of our lives in Missouri. We are most concerned about schools. We are leaning toward Carbondale as it is closer to DuQuoin. Anyone have comments about elementary schools?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,922 times
If you move to Carbondale, Unity Point is the elementary school to choose. There are nice areas to live in, but since it is a college town and has a good hospital so alot of professors and Doctors live in the area. Good shopping, close to Paducah, and only 2 hours give or take from St. Louis.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM

Thank you for the information on Unity Point. We have visited the area now, and found it hard to determine the schoool boundary lines, but that is what a realtor is for. We also really liked the new school in Carterville which is slightly closer to work. DH has accepted the position so now we get to get a house ready to sit on the market! Any further advice on schools appreciated.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 PM

23 posts, read 56,103 times
I know that Carbondale schools are the best by far in the area. I have a friend who has a son who goes to Carterville schools, and they are not impressed. Carbondale High School is noted as one of the best high schools in the state, including Chicago area schools. To be in the Unity Point School District, you have to live south of SIU, north of the Union-Jackson county line, west of Giant City Blacktop, and east of Country Club Road. Note that these are rough estimates and you might want to research the boundaries of the district. Unity Point School is for families that live in Southern Carbondale as well as the surrounding village of Makanda. Many high-income families live in the Unity Point School District. A budget of 200,000 is definitely doable, but that will rule out some of the nicer subdivisions like Egret Lake, Stone Creek, and maybe Heritage Hills. I would agree and choose Unity Point school. And as for Carbondale being rundown, that makes me laugh. Yes, there are rundown parts of town, but overall it is a nice small city. Population wise, the largest towns in SI go in this order: Carbondale (27,000), Marion (17,500), Herrin (12,500), Murphysboro (11,800), Du Quoin (6,600), and Carterville (5,500). Carbondale and Marion are growing a lot; Carbondale gained 6,000 people from the 2000 Census, and Marion is also growing. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Murphysboro, as the town is kind of run down and many businesses have failed there recently. Du Quoin in my opinion is a little isolated. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois