Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,715 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone out there can help. My partner and I want to relocate from suburban Chicago to the Rockford area, and the sooner the better. We're tired of the fast pace here...people whom are largely into themselves and unfriendly...and the ever increasing density/noise/traffic. One would think we lived in Chicago proper rather than suburbia.

We know little about Rockford, and thus far it's been difficult to get a sense of the area overall. We're renter's currently, but will be purchasing a house. We think of ourselves as considerate, kind, friendly, a bit reserved, and low-key in character, and when we entertain it's always with our respective families. As an interracial same-sex couple, we also clearly understand that not everyone will embrace us with open arms (we've had no difficulties where we currently reside, ever), but we'd hope that we'd be afforded the opportunity to at least demonstrate our character. The Rockford area has some outstanding housing bargains and we desperately want to escape this hellacious existence known as 'Chicagoland'. Ideally, a quiet area with open space surrounding us would be great, as we like serenity and nature. New housing construction would be great, but it's not a must-have feature on our list of wants. And being near the river: do or don't?

Please, pro or con, if anyone can provide much needed feedback, it would be most appreciated. Thus far, we've viewed properties online in both Machesney Park and the southern outskirts of Rockford that we liked best, but we know virtually nothing about either area. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Last edited by curious_george; 05-24-2007 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM

98 posts, read 452,959 times
The first thing I think of when I read your post is that Rockford is not a progressive, liberal area like those that are known to be tolerant or embrace different lifestyles. Rockford is surrounded by, and largely supported by, small farming communities. If I were in an interracial, same-sex relationship, I picture myself running & screaming from Rockford.

Will you be able to find work there? Employment prospects in Rockford are not great (to put it nicely). There ARE cheap houses available, but they are cheap for a reason. There are a lot of posts about Rockford on this board, check them out - they wil be quite helpful.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 AM

22 posts, read 144,849 times
Default Moving to Rockford?

Read your post, and as a former resident of Rockford, I really don't think that you would have too much of a problem (as others would see you in your relationship). Rockford seems to have a large gay population. The housing can be cheap there, but the reason my wife and I left were the run-away property taxes. You may want to consider more investagation. Rockford does have a good social scene, a great symphoney, a park system to die for, but we found the people weren't that friendly, as they were so busy trying to achieve the ultimate life-style. In short, Rockford is chock full of yuppies, attempting to out impress each other, and their spoiled children. Just an opinion. Good luck in your quest. Doug Bergren

Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,162,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bergren View Post
Read your post, and as a former resident of Rockford, I really don't think that you would have too much of a problem (as others would see you in your relationship). Rockford seems to have a large gay population. The housing can be cheap there, but the reason my wife and I left were the run-away property taxes. You may want to consider more investagation. Rockford does have a good social scene, a great symphoney, a park system to die for, but we found the people weren't that friendly, as they were so busy trying to achieve the ultimate life-style. In short, Rockford is chock full of yuppies, attempting to out impress each other, and their spoiled children. Just an opinion. Good luck in your quest. Doug Bergren
Are you thinking of Rockford, IL?

Sounds more like Naperville or Hinsdale or Geneva to me. Of all the cities around here, Rockford is probably the least yuppy, keep-up-with-the-Joneses, etc place.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bergren View Post

Thank-you for the feedback. We had an appointment with a Realtor today to see a house in Machesney Park, and liked what we saw. The Realtor couldn't have been nicer, and we asked every conceivable question possible. The woman was very much in tune with our concerns and, as a life-long resident of Rockford, gave us some valuable insight into Rockford in a way that only a local could, IMHO. What I found most interesting was that she indicated--as you have--that Rockford's gay community, while substantial, is largely quiet in comparison to, say, Chicago. Not an issue to us one way or the other. She also made mention of how the city 'hits' homeowners for seemingly everything, which was a bummer. Overall however, we left there feeling confident that the area is a place we'd be happy to relocate to. The right house--and time--will tell.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:52 AM

196 posts, read 967,152 times
Machesney is nice...no taxes and the pace here is good. Alot better than Chicago.
what realitor? They do have some good ones....

Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
Machesney is nice...no taxes and the pace here is good. Alot better than Chicago.
what realitor? They do have some good ones....
Hi Cavewoman (love that handle!),

Moderator cut: use PM for realtor recommendations, please

How long have you resided in Machesney Park, if I may ask? What are the locals like, generally speaking? And, has flooding ever been a major problem there? The home we looked at is near the Rock River and we like it very much, but it's just one of several we're considering. Any additional feedback you might provide sure would be helpful! Thanks!

Last edited by Marka; 06-13-2007 at 05:14 AM..

Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 AM

209 posts, read 1,086,835 times
Chicagoland is starting to evade some areas close to rockford: i.e. Eastern Ogle County, Winnebago County, Lee County, and even some towns like Oregon and Byron are seeing a huge influx of population.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 25,682 times
Cave woman, what do you mean no taxes in Machesney Park? Also does anyone commute from there to the Schaumburg area? How long does it usually take you at what time? Also is there an exit at 173 and 90?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM

572 posts, read 2,479,915 times
There is an Exit now, brand new at the 173 and I 90 also known as I 39 But dont forget Illinios makes you pay a toll to exit or enter it. TAX TAX TAX and lets make more Taxes, and yes thats just a sneaky way to Tax you. Thats one the reasons i left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois