U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 13,755 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me on this one? I am in the process of interviewing for a job in Aledo, IL and am wondering what sorts of family activities, outdoor activities and things-to-do-in-general there are in and around Aledo. I am from Alaska and enjoy fishing, hiking, and just being outside. I know the landscape is going to be quite a bit different but are there any nature preserves, good parks, trails, fishing ponds/streams, etc. around the area? Also, how scarce is rental housing? I cant seem to find any on the internet and will be in need of at least a 3 bedroom two bath house for me, my wife and kids (1 and 9 yo). Any information would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 PM

216 posts, read 586,538 times
I can't help you but this first line from Wikipedia is hilarious.

"Aledo
is a city in Mercer County, Illinois, United States and everyone in the town has an afro."

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM

342 posts, read 1,140,644 times
i am pretty sure no one in that town has an afro.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM

OK, so we haven't been able to establish the predominant hair style type in Aledo. Anyone have anything on outdoor activities and rental housing?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM

127 posts, read 320,083 times
I live in Mercer County..... good luck with housing. Not much here. I cannot believe you are thinking of moving here from Alaska. My husband and I are actually looking at moving to Alaska.

There isn't really much to do here. If you want "activities" you'll have to looking in the Quad Cities -- about 40 minutes away. In fact, you will probably have to look there for housing as well.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you thinking of working? I just can't think of much here that would pull someone in from "outside". I'm just here because my husband grew up here.

People in Aledo are nice enough, but they are "busy bodies". Everyone knows everyone elses business. Everyone thinks they are better than the next. If you are able to let that roll off your back, you'll be just fine.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping not to have to commute to and from the Quad Cities. However, I see that you are right about housing being scarce from the few ads that are in the Times Record. I guess I was just hoping that someone local would have a lock on word of mouth, local bulletin boards, etc. I guess I will just have to keep my eye out.

As for moving from Alaska, my wife and I live in Juneau, which is the capital city. The main reasons behind our move are economic and for family. The average cost of a single family home here is about $315k and we are a single income family, so that is hard. I can make the same money down there and buy a house for $150k, it is a no-brainer. Also, we had a baby last year and we have no family to speak of for support up here in AK. My folks live in the QC and they have never met their grandson. We are a close family so I really wanted to get a job in the QC but was unable to. There is a bank in Aledo (don't really want to say which one, as I have not officially been offered the job yet) that is interested in hiring me (I am currently a commercial loan officer at a bank here in Juneau) and they seem like a good company and Aledo seems like a nice little town, so I have been pursuing the opportunity.

I suppose we can deal with the "busy-bodies" well enough. I will be expected by my employer to become active in the community and will probably be fairly high-profile. I imagine there will be an element of novelty to the way people perceive us being from Alaska and all, but we will do our best to fit in. Of course, that will be a non-issue if we end up having to make our home in the QC due to the lack of housing in Aledo.

Anyway, thanks so much for the response. How about outdoor activities? Any good fishing lakes, hiking trails, etc near Aledo? What are the riverfront towns like, ie: New Boston, etc?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM

It's good that you'll have family near.

Outdoor activities? High school football games, fireworks on the 4th of July, Rhubarb Fest in June (I think it's in June). I don't know of any actual outdoor activities (hiking, etc) in Aledo. Riverfront towns like New Boston? Bars and bait shops. Even less there than in Aledo. It's possible if you get the job at one of the banks, you'll be able to fall into something as far as housing goes. You might try realtor.com and enter Aledo and surrounding areas to see what might be available. If you would like the names of a couple of local realtors, message me. It wouldn't be an endorsement, just information.

For any "activities", I still think you'll have to go to the Quad Cities. There are "minor league" baseball, hockey and arena football teams, museums, shopping, dining, etc.

I'm from Southern Illinois and my husband grew up around here. While we were looking at Alaska for a while (and that's still a dream), we are more seriously looking at Texas now. The economy/job outlook just isn't that great around here. Of course, if you have a line on a job, that would solve that problem for you. We also aren't happy with the direction the state is moving in other areas.... while I've grown up knowing "Chicago politics" runs the state, it's getting to be too much to stomach. We are both looking for a state that believes in individual rights, not becoming a "nanny state".... but enough of that.

As far as the crime rate goes, it's low. I've always felt perfectly safe here. That's a good thing when you have a family to take care of.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 PM

I hear you on the Chicago politics thing. That is one issue I am not looking forward to dealing with. One of the things I've always liked about Alaska is the independent nature and small government mindset of the people here (maybe not so much in Juneau, though). It sounds like maybe folks in rural IL are a bit more down-to-earth and real than folks in Chicago, though, so at least I won't have to deal with the nanny-staters and libs at work or around town.

Bait shops in New Boston? Does that mean you can eat the fish out of the Mississippi? I always heard that it is downright toxic due to all the shipping and factories. If so, maybe it would be a good idea to buy a boat for fishing...?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm sure there are places in the Mississippi that are bad, but yes, we eat the fish out of the Mississippi. But after experiencing the water in Alaska, you might find it polluted! LOL If you like boating, that would be a great idea.

Probably won't find any nanny-staters around, Aledo is a Democrat town. I don't put much stock in the parties anymore, I support the individual I find best for the job. People are pretty down to earth though... lots of hunters, etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the info, very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: