U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 AM

131 posts, read 531,080 times
Garcia's is still around, but they are only in Champaign now (I think). Monical's is still going strong, of course.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM

18 posts, read 63,142 times
Default 10sne1

I play tennis and the "matting" you are referring to is at Stevenson Park and I think at Miller Park courts. This is not the norm. Most of the courts are still hardcourt. Check out evergreen racquet club. Evergreen Racquet Club, Bloomington, IL, 309-662-4361

Lots of great people at Evergreen. You will make lots of friends there I assure you. Good luck in your move to Bloomington.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 771 times
We are moving from South carolina, and will be working near the ireland groove. I have a 4 yr old, whom I need to join in preschool. Any suggestions for good pre-schools, and areas to live with kids? Thanks

Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 PM

10,740 posts, read 14,233,232 times
Bloomington and Normal are quite different.

Normal is much more a collete town with 22,000 ISU students and a University high school with 1,000 students. Bloomington is a business town with the court house. It is fueled by buniness, insurance companies and real estate. The combined total of both is approaching 100,000.

IL is an AG state. Our towns are surrounded by thousands of acres of corn and beans and cattle. Central Illibois is in the Breadbasket of America." Other towns of size are not nearby. Springfield is 60 miles, Urbana-Champaign is approximately the same distance. Peoria is about 30 miles. It is the largest area with an MSA of about 500,000. You will find a large zoo, planetarium. wildlife park, Wheels of Time Museum, river cruises, carriage ride, Juried Art Fair, Renaissance Faire Performing and Visual Arts, family events nearly every weekend, and more than 50 parks. The Peoria Park District is a Gold Medal winner that manages 10,000 acres. Peoria has good food. Jim's Steakhouse has been in Peoria for 50 years and so has Avanti's Restaurante. Haufbrau House, Sky Harbor, Maid Rite Sandwiches, Steak & Shake (originated in Normal), Fish House. One of the new comers is Sushi Popo - it is devine. Dixon Fishmarket has been in the Peoria area for over 100-years. Peoria is the old lady that has a lot of surprises incluiding historical trolly tours, 19 historical districts, rolling hills and high bluffs. By its very nature it sprawls, but the majority of the shopping is in one carefully developed area.

Springfield is a state capital that celebrates Lincoln, architect Frank Lloyd Wright, and other famous citizens. It has a park, zoo, waterpark, and some very good food that is not chain, too.

Between the 3 towns you will find 3 zoological parks, 5 malls and nine hospitals. Peoria OSF Hospital has the only critical care Level 1 tertiary unit for children (0-age 18) in the state between Chicago and St. Louis. There is over 100 physicians with sub-specialties here. The only hospital in the state that treats more children than OSF is Chrilden's Chicago. OSF is the only hospital in the state that is affiliated with St. Jude's Researh Hospitals, Shriner's Hospitals and Easter Seals. Many of our rural hispitals have heliports for fast transport to a critical care hospital.

If you live in cenral Illinois and have children you are not far from quailty care. One other note. There are only two Top 25 Hospitals in America in the Midwest. Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis is the closest to central Illinois. The other Midwestern hospital is Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. The balance of the 23 hospitals are on the East and West coast.

To the new member from SC... If you are familiar with Fresh Market from NC, you will find one in Peoria at Westlake Shopping Center on Sterling Avenue not too far south of Glenn Avenue (US 150). Toys are US are in the same shopping center.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,747,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCFP View Post
Places to eat in Bloomington are easy to find. There are so many places that pop up and then in a half a year or a year they are gone. There is a very high turnover of places to eat in B-town. Some of the best places that I grew up eating at and still go back and visit when I have client meeting there are:

Grady's Pizza- Small local pizza, if you like sweet sauce you will love it.

Monicals Pizza- It may sound weird to non central IL natives but, try
their french dressing on the pizza as well as the salad,
its to die for.

Biaggis- This is one of the best italian places in town, also one of the
most expensive (compared to DC it probabbly isnt to bad,
entree's are $12-$20.

Ned Kelly's- Great place for some steak and prime rib, they were great for the longest time, but have started going downhill a little. Still not a bad
place to eat. For dessert get the skillet cookie, its a huge cookie with ice cream on top..yum. (the other places to eat in the same plaza
as Ned Kelly's are ones that have had very high turnover, there is probabbly all new ones there every year or so.

Schlotzkys Deli- Great sandwiches its a lot like a Quizno's and Subway, but much better and a lot classier of an inside.

Mandarin Garden- I belive one of the best places for Chinese food in B-town.

Ming's - Chinese Food along with everything else one of the only places I would trust for Sushi in B-town.

Other Reccomendations: Ozark House (very nice steak house), Jim's Steakhouse (one of B-town's classic, a little more expensive nice place for a date night), Delgado's (Mexican cuisine), Lucca Grill (small bar with ample upstairs seating great pizza), Chevy's (American food), ruby tuesdays.

There are quite a few places as you can see, and there are plenty more...good luck
Schlotzkys Deli- Love this deli they used to have the best bread!
Heck I am half tempted to take a drive down to Bloomington just for that place.
Wow you learn something on the threads every day Great place and I thought these were out of business everywhere.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 AM

781 posts, read 605,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Schlotzkys Deli- Love this deli they used to have the best bread!
Never thought Scholtzky's was that great. I seem to recall everything tasting extra-salty.

Avanti's, on the other hand, is worth driving to Bloomington for.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Avanti's has always been very popular in/near college towns.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM

781 posts, read 605,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Avanti's has always been very popular in/near college towns.
As far as I can tell, Avantis is strictly a Bloomington/Normal and Peoria area operation.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM

It looks like Peoria, East Peoria, Pekin, Bloomington and Normal are the current locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois