U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 87,923 times

Advertisements

Ive recently had some personal event strike me and i was told to go somewhere start over get a job, start college ect. i was given a list of states that included, Arizona, Michigan, Delaware, Illonois, Ohio, Nevada, Oregon and others but i was wondering if anyone could tell me where would be a good place in illonois. i was told i would fair better in a college town most likely but can anyone tell me anything>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,138,153 times
Illinois has several college towns. The largest of the state's Universities are in Champaign / Urbana , DeKalb, Bloomington/Normal, Macomb, Carbondale, Charleston, with smaller campuses in Springfield and Edwardsville. I suppose there are also some private schools that might qualify as "college towns", but not sure what you are looking for...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Illinois has several college towns. The largest of the state's Universities are in Champaign / Urbana , DeKalb, Bloomington/Normal, Macomb, Carbondale, Charleston, with smaller campuses in Springfield and Edwardsville. I suppose there are also some private schools that might qualify as "college towns", but not sure what you are looking for...
im looking to start in more of a community college because i need to find a job to work. im 19 but i know i have to go to school in order to support more then just myself someday. my mother passed away in mid february and my father has pulmonary fibrosis from fiber glass in his lungs due to being sent into an unstable enviornment in the workplace. the doctors dont expect him to make it past june. so i went to my guidance counselors seeing as how ill be on my ass anyways they said go check out some of these states and try to start over there rlly isnt anything for me where i am now.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM

260 posts, read 1,040,424 times
Try Champaign-Urbana. Goodly sized college town that has a junior college.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,402,886 times
Bloomington-Normal has Heartland Community College as well as ISU and IWU. It has the lowest unemployment out of any metros in Illinois, it's not hard to get a job.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Bloomington-Normal has Heartland Community College as well as ISU and IWU. It has the lowest unemployment out of any metros in Illinois, it's not hard to get a job.
well im going to be out on my ass where i am now in alittle bit and the advice given to me was to go somewhere find a job and go to school, the list of places my guidance counselor gave me was surprising to say the least michigan,illonois,missouri and ohio were near the top of the list. i thought arent those hard hit places by the depression and asked her, she replied yes but they also have some of the best schools you can go to whether it be community college or 4 year college. so i didnt count the midwest out, i hear its nice out there as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,025,022 times
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I know about Fibrosis. My spouse has it. Michicagn and Ohio are probably the hardest hit. If you are the only child you will probably have to close your father's estate before you can move. Regardless of where you move you will need a car.

In Ceneral Illinois there area tqo large towns. Peoria and Bloominton. Springfiled is in Southern Central Illinois and Champaign is in Eastern Central Illinois.

The community colleges in central Central Illinois seem to be Heartland at Bloomington , Spoon Riverat Canton and ICC at east Peoria. . Universities are Bradley at Peora, ISU at Normal and Illinois Wesleyan at Bloomington. The four-year college is Eureka - where President Reagan received a double major.

Other than the 35,000 student/teacher campus at the University atChampaign I know little of the Springield or Urbana/Champaign colleges.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 PM

i have a 06 pontiac grand prix, hasnt let me down yet so grateful for it, I have one brother.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,455,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty122 View Post
well im going to be out on my ass where i am now in alittle bit and the advice given to me was to go somewhere find a job and go to school, the list of places my guidance counselor gave me was surprising to say the least michigan,illonois,missouri and ohio were near the top of the list. i thought arent those hard hit places by the depression and asked her, she replied yes but they also have some of the best schools you can go to whether it be community college or 4 year college. so i didnt count the Midwest out, i hear its nice out there as well.
Man, you've got a tough situation and so does the Midwest, but I wish you well.

The way I've found it to be is this:
IF you can't find happiness in the states bordering the Great Lakes, you have no soul.

Illinois is an incredible place, I recommend Bloomington-Normal and Champ-'Bana as well. Other recommendations are Traverse City and Holland, MI, Cleveland, OH area, Milwaukee, WI area, Duluth/Twin Cities, MN area.

All will deliver great schools nearby (the Michigan towns are smaller but have stellar junior colleges, cheap cost of living, and a decent chance of finding a job.

Detroit is one of the hardest places to find a job, I got lucky, and if you want to try your luck, you could also apply to places in the D metro. Housing is EXTREMELY cheap in both the good and bad parts of town.

That being said though, there's nothing wrong with Illinois, it's a wonderful place full of wonderful people and great opportunities! The Midwest is a great place to live life. There's a simpler, more relaxed pace here.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,025,022 times
If you live in a four year college/university town you have a better chance of finding a roommate to share expenses. If you have a work history with a national chain you can probably get transfered.

Seasonal jobs are usually plentiful and If you are lucky it will turn into a part time all year job while you go to school. It is hard to work full time and carry more than 12 credit hours especially if you have labs, too.

If you are looking at a smaller community, I would definately look at Heartland College at Normal. for school and housing and hopefully a job. You can continue your education in Normal; get a BA and Masters at ISU - which is a very decent college that not too long ago attained university status. If you apply yourself you can have a quality education in Nomral. .

Driving Directions - About - Heartland Community College
Here's the local bus schedules. Bloomington-Normal Public Transit System
College Hills Mall at Normak: The Shoppes at College Hills
Kroger Grocery Store in Landmark Plaza in Noirmal is a good place to work.
Naturally Yours Health Food grocer is in Normal, too.
Brokaw-Mennonite Hospital has a new name. Advocate BroMenn Medical Center.

For a small community the services are quite well rounded. Bloomington is located nearby. If you want a different look and feel in a larger city, Peoria is about 40 miles from Normal. and Springfield is about 70 miles from Normal.

I don't know hwere you hail from. Legal drininking age in IL is 21. It's a no-smoking, no conceal carry state. The no-smoking law applies to 15 feet outside every public building and no-smokin inside all public buildings.

Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois