U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM

171 posts, read 201,813 times
Default crime in carbondale and surrounding areas

I was wondering about the crime in Carbondale and what it usually consists of? Is it only bad in one part of town?

Also, once you get out to the smaller towns like Carterville, Herrin, and Marion how is the crime?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 AM

668 posts, read 807,681 times
I don't have any stats, but I would say Carbondale has the highest crime rate. Arguably, SIU-C has the most crime of any university in the state. There's alot of people who hang around the campus, who may or may not be students. Usually there's no major felonies or anything, but a person needs more street smarts there than most anywhere else in this part of the state. SIU moves at a faster pace than the surrounding communities, and the campus spills out into Carbondale. Even though Carbondale doesn't have the appearance or population of a major urban area, the lifestyle has certain urban characteristics. And the liklihood of being a crime victim, even at the petty level, is greater than in the surrounding areas. I suppose a good illustration, is to take a leisurely drive around some of the state highways in the area. For the most part, you'll find people driving at moderate speeds and exhibiting common courtesies to other motorists. When you reach the intersection of routes 148 and 13, and head east on 13 towards Carbondale, everything changes. It changes back just as quickly west of Carbondale, when you reach Murphysboro.

As for the other towns in the area, as I mentioned before, they're all pretty much culturally interchangable. Life long residents will speak of increased crime and gangs in the schools etc. I think this is exagerated to a large degree. Most of the towns have newspapers that list arrests made during the week. The arrests for the most part include petty drug activity, domestic violence, and petty theft and vandalism. Usually the victims have some prior relationship with the perpetrator. In other words, if you don't leave valuables unprotected in plain site, hang around with shady characters, or buy and sell drugs, your chances of being a crime victim are pretty slim.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
801 posts, read 2,345,681 times
Races in Carbondale:
  • White Non-Hispanic (64.7%)
  • Black (23.1%)
  • Hispanic (3.0%)
  • Two or more races (2.4%)
  • Chinese (1.9%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Carbondale-Illinois.html#ixzz0owFzPaBX

Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 20,941 times
Overall Carbondale is a fairly safe town but there are areas to avoid. The east side of town is pretty rough, lots of drugs, shootings, esp. in the public housing areas. Typical ghetto type hood. Pretty much the area between the tracks and the mall are a bit dicey. "The Strip" isn't too bad, just lots of bars that cater to college kids and the occassional trouble that goes along with that scene. The west side of town is super nice in both the older areas and newer subdivisions. Lots of outdoor recreational activities with the lakes and parks south and east of town. Carbondale is a very laidback, fun town. I enjoyed my years there immensely but its not for everybody.

Carterville is pretty much of a bedroom community surrounded by the larger towns. basically crime-free with a small-town atmosphere. Herrin is a more working-class town, fairly low crime rate but with a few dive bars downtown. Marion has a prosperous retail scene with fairly high-growth. many of the older residential areas are a bit rundown yet there's very little crime. Lots of nice upscale housing on the fringes. Sandwiched between these three towns is the town with the fun name of Energy. Small town atmosphere, no crime within ten minutes of Herrin and Marion shopping areas and an easy drive down Hwy 13 to Carbondale.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 PM

171 posts, read 201,813 times
Thanks alot for your input. I'm in San Diego right now where we constantley hear about shootings in south east SD and up in LA, but I did not expect Carbondale to really have that. How often would you say there are shootings around there? I'm really looking in to moving to Carterville so that sounds good.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 AM

668 posts, read 807,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
Thanks alot for your input. I'm in San Diego right now where we constantley hear about shootings in south east SD and up in LA, but I did not expect Carbondale to really have that. How often would you say there are shootings around there? I'm really looking in to moving to Carterville so that sounds good.

Thanks
I would call shootings in far southern IL rare. Our local TV news is like anywhere else, "if it bleeds, it leads". Given the TV market covers southeast MO, western KY, and southern IL, from Mt. Vernon to the Ohio River. I would say in that entire area, maybe 1 homocide a month involving a gun. Now, there's numerous incidents that qualify as shootings. Kids playing with guns, hunting accidents etc. In some neighborhoods there's more gun violence than others, but it's nothing like in large urban areas. Nobody's going around randomly shooting people. Not saying it hasn't happened, or won't happen in the future. Anybody can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, when a madman flips his lid. It's just not something to worry about in this area.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM

187 posts, read 30,290 times
for information about differing crime rates across neighborhoods, check out this great site

Moderator cut: link removed

Very helpful to me...the West End off W. Main is the safest area of all I believe.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:13 PM

23 posts, read 32,174 times
I agree pretty much with the first post. However, the far east side of town east of the high school is very good. Crime has gone down in the recent year, which is good. South Carbondale is very good, with the exception of the 2 mobile home parks which are next to each other. The safest part of the city is definitely west Carbondale.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 AM

187 posts, read 30,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortPerson49 View Post
The safest part of the city is definitely west Carbondale.
yup, the map shows what you said pretty much. I did my research! The west end is where I am going to be living in August!! I'm so excited, I am moving to Carbondale yippee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois