U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,797 times
Default NEED OPINIONS -Moving to South Bend/Elkhart/Misaha/Granger Area

I am planning on moving up to that area mentioned in the title. I am looking for an engineering position and would like to get opinions on which area is best for schools, children, work (who pays more), nightlife....I was also considering Wakarusa....please help this rookie figure out a good place to live. I liked Blair Hills and some parts of Elkhart on the water seemed nice. They say Granger is the best place, but not sure of that. Is there anyplace that is up and coming? I heard that they are redoing downtown Elkhart, not sure if it is true. I'm trying to find a place that if I invest in a house it won't be worth the same amount 10 years from now....all opinons welcome...thanks. Also anyplace up there to ride ATV's? Parks? Fishing? Outdoor Activities? thanks agian
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,535,215 times
Granger is the best for schools, unless you want to go private. But Wakarusa feeds in to the WaNee school system, which is also very good and smaller than Penn Harris Madison (Granger). But it's a very small town, not much in the way of nightlife.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 AM

22 posts, read 50,867 times
Default Wakarusa

Definitely no night life in Wakarusa unless it's your own! I live there now, and definitely love the town. But it is only 6 miles to Nappanee and 9 to Elkhart. There is Zero Crime... It was actually exciting for the town cops when our dog got loose one night. The schools are amazing, very close nit community. Although the houses are all very old, many MANY Century old homes in heart of town, however, they are all Immaculately kept! Walking around the town I am amazed at the well manicured lawns and upkept landscaping in EVERYONE's yards. No junk cars or rusty lawn furniture in this town. There are a lot of younger couples moving in as the older population is dying off-sadly. Our grandma is pushing 83 and lived here her whole life. It is a GREAT town for kids, they can ride bikes anywhere, and there isn't a single bad area in town where they could get into trouble. Only reason we're looking to move is we want to be closer to work in South Bend, it's about 25 min drive now. Good luck finding a house, prices are slightly higher, and rarely are real estate agents used, Majority of homes are For Sale by Owner. I am in my cousin's house right now though, that I could get you a HECK of a deal on for about $145,000 when we move out though!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM

5,229 posts, read 7,776,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
I am planning on moving up to that area mentioned in the title. I am looking for an engineering position and would like to get opinions on which area is best for schools, children, work (who pays more), nightlife....I was also considering Wakarusa....please help this rookie figure out a good place to live. I liked Blair Hills and some parts of Elkhart on the water seemed nice. They say Granger is the best place, but not sure of that. Is there anyplace that is up and coming? I heard that they are redoing downtown Elkhart, not sure if it is true. I'm trying to find a place that if I invest in a house it won't be worth the same amount 10 years from now....all opinons welcome...thanks. Also anyplace up there to ride ATV's? Parks? Fishing? Outdoor Activities? thanks agian
I would not move here if you dont have a job first. Its not a very large area and jobs seem quite slim. My husband was offered a job and we moved here from Detroit. I have yet to find a job in my line of work. If you have children I would suggest Granger. We lived in Mishawaka for a year. When we decided to purchase we focused mostly on Granger. Mishawaka has its charms but crime seems to be on the rise. The slow economy could be the reason. I do find people in the area to be quite friendly. Investing in real estate is never a sure thing especially now but I would say Granger is your best bet because of its popularity. When we were looking most sellers would not consider much of a price reduction. Values seem to hold steady here. I have heard Potato Creek park is quite nice.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM

305 posts, read 589,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
I am planning on moving up to that area mentioned in the title. hey say Granger is the best place, but not sure of that. Is there anyplace that is up and coming? I heard that they are redoing downtown Elkhart, not sure if it is true. I'm trying to find a place that if I invest in a house it won't be worth the same amount 10 years from now....all opinons welcome...thanks. Also anyplace up there to ride ATV's? Parks? Fishing? Outdoor Activities? thanks agian
Victor,
I agree with one of the other posters, I would not move here unless you have a job already waiting for you. Granger is good, lots of newer constructed homes, the schools are good too. Elkhart is struggling and will continue to struggle until they come up with some new jobs to replace the RV/Auto jobs lost. But despite all that...this whole area is a great place to live. No place is perfect, each area has its ups and downs. If you have a family though its pretty easy to raise one around here. The thing as for real estate is the values here raise veryyyyyyyy slowly.... Basically, we sell the same # of homes in Elkhart county every year. Other areas of the country where you have large influxes of people moving, like CA, FL, AZ, TX, etc. the values went up way high because of the numbers coming in. They are also the ones that have suffered the greatest loss of value.
So I wouldnt look at your home purchase here as something thats going to make you a ton of money when you leave...especially if you only plan on being here a few year.

Oh yeah, in my neighborhood, I have an all brick ranch, which backs up to a new county park that has walking trails, fishing from Cobus Creek (brown trout) and a pond (blue gill) and the price..when the market was good...$150K....you cant beat it for the price of housing here

If you need any other info, please get in touch, be glad to help. I also work part time at Northpoint Elem School in Granger, so I am familiar with that area as well.
Jody

Old 07-06-2009, 05:35 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,928,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Granger is the best for schools, unless you want to go private. But Wakarusa feeds in to the WaNee school system, which is also very good and smaller than Penn Harris Madison (Granger). But it's a very small town, not much in the way of nightlife.
Granger beat us for the first place title in the state competition for the Interscholastic- Social Studies Bowl in 2007 and 2009. We beat Granger for Interscholastic- Interdisipciplenary Bowl in 2008 and 2009. Their pretty good.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 PM

15 posts, read 46,643 times
Default Horse Ranch, acreas near South Bend?!

Hi Jody Rose and everyone else,

I didnt look into that area you mentioned, but am interested in the properties if there is good size homesteads available?

The schools ratings would make a big difference too, any opinions?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana