Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
It's funny you mention this, because I was going to say "you get what you pay for" in my last post. Indiana is definitely cheaper than Illinois and a lot of other states, but Indiana does not offer as many amenities.
Let's take Chicago out of the equation because that can skew things a bit for Illinois. What do the taxpayers of IL and other states pay for and receive that we in Indiana don't?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Default One point of data

I'll be a point of data for your study. I grew up in Indiana, went to public school here, got a good technical degree from a state college here, and immediately left the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I really would like for someone to really study the brain drain folks. Where did they move to?
Los Angeles, California.
Quote:
Why?
High-Tech Job.
Quote:
What is their income to debt load?
Started with approx 0 debt and 0 savings.
Quote:
Were they able to save anything for a rainy day?
Saved about $200,000 in 5 years. Never had personal debt. Could've saved more but for buying a car, nice clothes, maybe spending a bit too much on partying and entertainment, vacations to Hawaii, overseas, etc. Oh, and I didn't concentrate on getting promoted or angling for pay raises, so I was paid less than my peers. Also, I didn't try to buy a house as the market was clearly overheated (2003-2008).
Quote:
Indiana will never, ever compare to some places, where folks want to be two hours drive to the mountains. However, I think Indiana's cheaper costs of living can be offset by allowing folks the disposable income to take weekend trips to almost anywhere: Lakes, oceans, and mountains.
Do you mean from places near the ocean or mountains? You certainly can't get to oceans or mountains from Indiana without spending most of a day driving or flying. Lake Michigan or Chicago are my two major weekend destinations here. Friends go camping in southern Indiana.

One of the things I never understood, growing up in Indiana, was; if folks like the mountains, ocean, or warm temperatures so much, why not just live there? So, when it came, I jumped at the chance to go live somewhere folks in the Midwest go on vacation.

Quote:
It would be interesting to track the brain drain in this new economy.
I came back for an advanced degree. I'm about to finish up school here in Indiana again, and I plan to do the exact same thing; move back to California, or maybe the east coast. This time I'll be raising a family. Just with my day job, I can make about 20-50% more, plus there are a lot of opportunities to start side-businesses, get head-hunted by consulting firms, etc. in the centers of commerce like LA, NYC, SD, SF, BOS, etc. Also, it's easier for my spouse to find part-time work she can do from home with the occasional meeting, so she can stay home and take care of the kids without going crazy or having to totally give up on her career.

When I was young and unattached, the primary drivers to leave Indiana were the job opportunities and the interesting geography/experiences of living on the coasts.

Now that we're starting a family, the primary reasons are the economic opportunities (though the fun stuff to do and better weather are still big factors).

Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM

91 posts, read 189,372 times
[quote=fallingwater;12332260]I know we got off the original thread with all the bad teacher talk. But I do have a serious question in regards to not liking Indiana. I have been here a while now, still adjusting, still finding my place etc. But one thing that is driving me nuts and not sure if its just a South Bend thing or not, but are people in Indiana paranoid?

Goodness, I live in Milan, IN and I have never experienced such stuff! We don't have much crime, but people are curious about new people and once they see they are friendly and open up, most people from here open up right back. I can understand why you are surprised at that behavior! If you like Indiana otherwise, I'd advise checking out places that don't have such a high crime rate...smaller towns and such, for more friendly behavior.

Cara

Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
One of the things I never understood, growing up in Indiana, was; if folks like the mountains, ocean, or warm temperatures so much, why not just live there? So, when it came, I jumped at the chance to go live somewhere folks in the Midwest go on vacation.
Not everyone can just up and move and make money like you did. You are different if you got a job paying enough to allow you to save almost a quarter mil, on top of being able to party, go on costly vacations, etc.. You are also different in that you avoid spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on ridiculous home prices. It has only been recently that the US savings rate actually was positive. For decades, we have been a debt slave nation. No one cared about paying for 30 years on a home, because it was magically supposed to increase in value 10% a year. So folks got lucky and sold at the high point, others not so lucky.

Anyways, the areas were I live have minimal job offerings. The cheapest public school where I could get a four year degree in something costs $250ish/credit hour now (compared to about $100 back in the late 90s). Also, lab fees and textbooks are also pricey. Not only that, it wasn't until the housing bubble collapsed that housing actually is now somewhat affordable in the areas I wouldn't mind living in. A lot of folks in your shoes were able to cash out and go and live in these places, and they didn't care if they paid $100K more than they should for a home, because the same home were some of them came from went for $800K, and they were spending just $250K, maybe a little more.

There are many factors which come into play, some of them self-imposed, others that other people may not be so lucky to have.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
One thing that bothers me more than anything about Indiana is the insane amount of homophobia, racism, and general bigotry. There is not a day that goes by that I have to hear that crap, and I can't wait to get out of here.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
One thing that bothers me more than anything about Indiana is the insane amount of homophobia, racism, and general bigotry. There is not a day that goes by that I have to hear that crap, and I can't wait to get out of here.
So you can just go hear it somewhere else??

Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So you can just go hear it somewhere else??
I have lived in quite a few states, and it has been my experience that people tend to take it to the extreme here.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I have lived in quite a few states, and it has been my experience that people tend to take it to the extreme here.
I have lived in a few states as well, and I have found that I disagree with your assessment.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have lived in a few states as well, and I have found that I disagree with your assessment.
Ditto.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
That's interesting that we had such different experiences. Not that I never heard it in Indiana, but I can only recall a handful of occasions during my many years of residence in that state where I've seen or heard explicit bigotry. Where I'm from all of that stuff still existed, but it seemed much more subtle if it existed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana