Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 05:01 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, Bloomington is a major college town.
The majority of the students are gone now is the scary part.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I have a friend who was bumped to the front of the application pool because she could pass a whiz quiz ... I guess there are jobs out there, but people can't pass drug tests ... how sad is that?
I have never smoked a cigarette and the only alcohol I have ever drank is like 5 wine coolers since I turned 21. Oh, and I took a sip of wine at an Italian restaurant when I lived in Arizona. I can't find a job around here.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have never smoked a cigarette and the only alcohol I have ever drank is like 5 wine coolers since I turned 21. Oh, and I took a sip of wine at an Italian restaurant when I lived in Arizona. I can't find a job around here.
This friend is applying for factory jobs ...

Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater
Is this a rural area of Indiana? Unforunately, the social culture in the rural Midwest is still extremely paternalistic as well as natalistic. I have never understood the pressure for getting married and having kids at a young age. I would think the focus in this economy would be increasing ones education, getting a good job, and becoming financially secure- before pursuing the above mentioned two goals that some strive to achieve. The brain drain definitely exists in this state, even though some don't want to admit it. The higher achievers tend to leave for greener pastures. I know I will probably move back to the coast in a few years.

I'm 28. I got married at 20 and I am pregnant with our fourth child--and not because of social pressure. We just like babies! In between having all these babies, I have also earned a Master's degree, which has not helped me gain financial security. With the massive student loan payments, I would probably be better off without it.

I have actually had plenty of criticism over having a "large" family. I'd say that the pressure to have kids only applies up to the standard 2.5 kids. That's one of the things that bugs me about the mindset here. Many people seem to think that we are living in some Norman Rockwell painting of the ideal American family. People are super friendly until you challenge this perception, then watch out! You will be labeled as "negative" or "bitter." Oh, and if someone wants to "help," you had sure as heck better accept, even if what they are offering is not helpful. I am not saying everyone is like this, but is a general attitude I have seen in my area.

My husband and I both grew up in this county, but we don't really fit. We are not religious, and it is essentially a theocracy. One particular religious university controls most of local politics. They have their people in the council and courts, and are cozy with the mayor. They have gone so far as to close off a public street and guarantee business loans for their cronies with taxpayers' dollars. We have been talking about visiting other areas of the country to find more financial opportunities and a better fit socially.

I have family here, and that's probably the only reason I've stuck around this long. I had hoped to maybe just move to another part of Indiana, but I am losing hope. Just this week, the Indiana Supreme Court decided to smash the fourth amendment. Nice. Now I can't resist a police officer from illegally entering my home? I think it's the last straw for me. It saddens me to leave, but I don't see another option.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 33,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prayerfulhope View Post
I do not like living in Indiana. I just feel that there's not much to offer here. I lived in Southern California and even the bus ride to school was breath taking, watching the sun come up behind the mountains.
I do appreciate that it's probably one of the cheapest states to live in, and the beauty of Lake Michigan and Indiana Dunes, but it's just hard for someone like myself..I love to travel on my husbands days off, but everything is so far...he has to take at least a week off of work for us to go anywhere interesting...Chicago is fun, but after going 6-12 times/year, you start running out of things to do. We try to squeeze in one big vacation a year. The great thing about California is it's such a big state, there's so much to see and do, it doesn't get boring, at least not for a very long while
Got an idea for you i read a previous hoosier story and this seemed plasuable. Move to Indianapolis and take a bunch of vacations. Since Indy is the crossroads of America so you could vacation to several places from the interstate and theres also the international airport to fly to CA/Flordia etc. Just a thought there.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 9,616 times
I hate Indiana! Lived in this state all of my life. Left to live in Florida two times. Didn't really like Florida other than the weather. Looking to move away again only this time, I won't return. I just don't know where to move to this time.

People in this state are either narrow-minded as you suggested or they love this state because they've lived in a big city. Eventually, though, the big city problems came to the small, rural towns of Indiana. I did, however, really like living in Indy! Indy was a happening place now!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM

28 posts, read 33,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-turtleneck View Post
I hate Indiana! Lived in this state all of my life. Left to live in Florida two times. Didn't really like Florida other than the weather. Looking to move away again only this time, I won't return. I just don't know where to move to this time.

People in this state are either narrow-minded as you suggested or they love this state because they've lived in a big city. Eventually, though, the big city problems came to the small, rural towns of Indiana. I did, however, really like living in Indy! Indy was a happening place now!
Then live in Indy lol theres some beautiful neighborhoods in Carmel/Fishers etc.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
That's a shame about the wine part....

Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 19,303 times
Just to let everyone know who claims California doesn't get boring-I live 15 minutes from the state line and (Reno, NV) and it gets boring. I am 4 hours from San Francisco and I never go there because it is too expensive and has too many homeless and weirdos. Fun to go at least maybe once or twice but after that, you've seen it. I am interested in Indiana exactly because of the reasons people hate it-it's stable and boring-but compared to Reno, it has jobs and cheap land. I'll make my own fun.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2herEthel View Post
Just to let everyone know who claims California doesn't get boring-I live 15 minutes from the state line and (Reno, NV) and it gets boring. I am 4 hours from San Francisco and I never go there because it is too expensive and has too many homeless and weirdos. Fun to go at least maybe once or twice but after that, you've seen it. I am interested in Indiana exactly because of the reasons people hate it-it's stable and boring-but compared to Reno, it has jobs and cheap land. I'll make my own fun.
lol yep They invented the Xbox and the PC for entertainment LOL this tuesday Battlefield 3 comes out. (Yahooooo Battlefield 3>Modern Warfare 3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana