Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
mbuzsu, I am tired of you knocking my posts. You have repeatedly made personal jabs at me such as:
Another thought, if you have years of anecdotal evidence for being miserable in Indiana or anywhere else for that matter for multitudes of reasons perhaps you ought to consider that you might be the problem (or have a problem). Indeed you may have been miserable anywhere. For those of us who have lived all over the US and traveled the world, indeed although the grass often appears greener elsewhere it usually isn't. You're likely not to find the happiness you seek in a particular place - happiness comes from within.
You also seem to have just stumbled upon the knowledge that the economy is bad all over. You are informing us of old news. We already know this. The news is about 20 years old.
You also have a flair for the obvious and talk to others like they are 2 years old:
always advise anyone considering to relocate to Indiana from elsewhere to spend some time visiting and really evaluating the move before committing. In fact I advise anyone looking to relocate anywhere to do such due diligence. It's a smart thing to do. Although you cannot hope to prepare and plan for all of life's surprises, you certainly can put forth a little effort trying to anticipate a few.
And you seem to know the whole scoop:
Yes, Hoosiers take a while to warm up to outsiders (but once they do they will be your friends for life). Yes, there are places with more hills and trees and colder and hotter weather. Yes, there are a lot of uneducated or undereducated Hoosiers.
Jeesh.
What you quoted me stating didn't mention you at all - you read into something not there.

I knew earlier in this thread my original post (not the above quoted one) would get to you because it devalued your baseless assertions by hitting upon some personal truths you divulged online. I regret that because I don't want to hurt you or anyone else, not you, not now, not ever. At the same time, I do hope it prompts other readers to not take your comments at just face value, but to instead investigate your point of view a bit more closely. Others may jump to your defense just because my observations are harsh or appear patronizing, but objectively speaking I do stand by what I've written because I did so only after you were antagonizing with a few bizarre and terse and devaluing replies to what I and others have posted.

Quick research conducted in the attempt to understand your points of view showed that you have revealed things in your personal life which may have potentially affected your ability to look at Indiana rationally. We all have issues Twix, but none of your published issues are fundamentally Indiana-based - you just happen to be here. I generally don't appreciate your belittling other's view points on this forum as though it is for your self described "survival" (unless of course they directly compliment or empathize with you ). Most of us have encountered many classic cases of people who online potentially over-compensate for real life anxiety & confidence issues. I believe that you come across this way with the way you reply to other people's posts.

My efforts have been soley to defend my point of view that Indiana isn't a bad place in a thread filled with negative assertions of a couple very unhappy individuals that appear to constantly repost the same baseless claims while belittling others who disagree.

I don't want current and future readers of this forum who investigating relocation to Indiana to see unobjective, terse, and exaggerated assertions which will potentially discourage them from moving here. I obviously cannot stop you from making such postings as you currently plan to relocate away, but I certainly am allowed to express my own viewpoints and help provide a balanced perspective. When I fail in that regard, so be it, all I can do is my best.

You have attempted to label a pattern to my posts. I invite anyone to really take a look at what you've posted versus what I've posted. It's all there for public record Twix (even your posts elsewhere online via this same nickname with similar profile details) - you put it out there and anyone can read it.

Lastly, what you consider "obvious and talking to others as though they are two year olds" is actually not the case. In fact for the example you provided: regarding investigating a place/actual visitation before committing to a move - well in my very short time actively posting to this forum, I've already read of 3 Indiana families represented at CD that moved without such due-diligence! Numerous other CD posters moved to other states as well in similar fashion (they got a job offer, read a few posts/or did cursory checking of data, asked a few questions, and then they in the course of one or two weekend visits bought a house and solidified a move!). Some of these folks have expressed regret afterwards. They weren't mental 2-year olds - just inexperienced at moving, and they took in my estimation very high risk. I have personally moved in excess of 14 times in my life... trust me, you don't know what is obvious when it comes to relocating until you learn from the school of hard knocks.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Default Take it easy everyone ...

Please! All the jabbing and feelings getting hurt has gone on enough on this thread. Twix, rich, I'm sorry for what you are going through and believe me when I say that I think we all are sympathetic, although some express it in different ways ...

I'd hate to have to close this thread. If feelings are being hurt, please pm it to the offender.

Thanks ...

Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,960 times
Others have moved too...I have moved 5 times in my life to different cities, different states.
My feelings are not hurt. I wonder why someone would try to discredit my posts on other threads too. I think Mbuszo needs to knock it off now.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM

131 posts, read 648,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
What you quoted me stating didn't mention you at all - you read into something not there.

I knew earlier in this thread my original post (not the above quoted one) would get to you because it devalued your baseless assertions by hitting upon some personal truths you divulged online. I regret that because I don't want to hurt you or anyone else, not you, not now, not ever. At the same time, I do hope it prompts other readers to not take your comments at just face value, but to instead investigate your point of view a bit more closely. Others may jump to your defense just because my observations are harsh or appear patronizing, but objectively speaking I do stand by what I've written because I did so only after you were antagonizing with a few bizarre and terse and devaluing replies to what I and others have posted.

Quick research conducted in the attempt to understand your points of view showed that you have revealed things in your personal life which may have potentially affected your ability to look at Indiana rationally. We all have issues Twix, but none of your published issues are fundamentally Indiana-based - you just happen to be here. I generally don't appreciate your belittling other's view points on this forum as though it is for your self described "survival" (unless of course they directly compliment or empathize with you ). Most of us have encountered many classic cases of people who online potentially over-compensate for real life anxiety & confidence issues. I believe that you come across this way with the way you reply to other people's posts.

My efforts have been soley to defend my point of view that Indiana isn't a bad place in a thread filled with negative assertions of a couple very unhappy individuals that appear to constantly repost the same baseless claims while belittling others who disagree.

I don't want current and future readers of this forum who investigating relocation to Indiana to see unobjective, terse, and exaggerated assertions which will potentially discourage them from moving here. I obviously cannot stop you from making such postings as you currently plan to relocate away, but I certainly am allowed to express my own viewpoints and help provide a balanced perspective. When I fail in that regard, so be it, all I can do is my best.

You have attempted to label a pattern to my posts. I invite anyone to really take a look at what you've posted versus what I've posted. It's all there for public record Twix (even your posts elsewhere online via this same nickname with similar profile details) - you put it out there and anyone can read it.

Lastly, what you consider "obvious and talking to others as though they are two year olds" is actually not the case. In fact for the example you provided: regarding investigating a place/actual visitation before committing to a move - well in my very short time actively posting to this forum, I've already read of 3 Indiana families represented at CD that moved without such due-diligence! Numerous other CD posters moved to other states as well in similar fashion (they got a job offer, read a few posts/or did cursory checking of data, asked a few questions, and then they in the course of one or two weekend visits bought a house and solidified a move!). Some of these folks have expressed regret afterwards. They weren't mental 2-year olds - just inexperienced at moving, and they took in my estimation very high risk. I have personally moved in excess of 14 times in my life... trust me, you don't know what is obvious when it comes to relocating until you learn from the school of hard knocks.

Hello again. I always respect the opinions of others and I always will, and THAT INCLUDES YOURS. However, I really don't agree with you. You recently wrote that there are no winners, losers or ties as far as contributing to this forum is concerned. On that point I agree with you. And you heard that from a GRADUATE OF THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. Even though I've not had an easy time of it here in Indianapolis, Indiana over the last two, soon to be three years I can state honestly that I don't hate this place, okay? Furthermore, I have never said anything to belittle the Hoosier State. If I did and I don't recall if I have done so, I was wrong. What happened to me could have happened anywhere. Furthermore, I HAVE NEVER BELITTLED ANYONE WHO DISAGREED WITH ME ON THIS SUBJECT, unless you consider a disagreement to be a way of belittling someone. I was merely presenting the facts that pertain to my situation, and I can assure you that what I have experienced IS HARDLY BASELESS! I was being totally candid and honest. I don't believe in mincing words. You alluded to a couple of very unhappy individuals who appear to post the same baseless claims. I assume you meant myself and TWIX. Once again, I BEG TO DIFFER AS TWIX AND I COME FROM THE SAME SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. We established a fine rapport exchanging private messages. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, and I respect your right to express yourself, but I disagree with you and with all due respect, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE FOR YOUR STYLE.

This is the last time I will communicate with you directly. You strike me as a good person, but your style of writing can be construed as condescending whenever you beg to differ with someone. I will not debate the point with you any further. GOODBYE

Last edited by Rikrich; 08-22-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Typo.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,960 times
I too, withdraw from this thread. To have someone following me all over City Data and then saying I am negative, because I have a different viewpoint, ends this for me. One hostile poster is too much for me.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 AM

8 posts, read 20,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm from New Albany which is next to Louisville, KY and I am somewhat suprised at how many people I talk to seem like they really love living around here. I'm not really posting this to rant or anything I'm just wondering what makes people like it so much?

I was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, have lived in North Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, Maryland, New Jersey, Oklahoma, and Alaska. I have also driven a Class 8 Tractor-Trailer in 49 of our 50 states, and the 5 lower providences of Canada, a total of 2,000,000 miles. There are only a few places in the United States I have not visited. Most of this time I was single, I owned no home, owned no automobiles, rented no apartments. My truck (very deluxe) was my residence, and Marriott provide my weekly mini-vacations.
In all, I have learned that "home" is what You make it, and if you are not happy where you are at, you are not going to be happy where you are going. But if you are going for the experience, then by all means do so. We have a big, beautiful, diverse country out there begging for people to take a look at it. I am back home now, Terre Haute, Indiana.

Last edited by cottom; 08-27-2007 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: format

Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
cottom - that is an excellent post. Unfortunately, it seems that some people just love to complain... its either too hot, too windy, too this, too that - when if all they'd do is look out the window, appreciate the good, and work on the not so good themselves, even if that means looking in the mirror to do such, then life and the experience thereof would be so much more enjoyable. Yet, I am not going to hold my breath waiting for such people to change - for me, life is too damn short, and I will find means to enjoy just about anything, seeing and appreciating the positives in just about everywhere. Would be great to hear more of your stories that you experienced on the road, seeing the countryside...

Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 62,786 times
Indiana's nice, but I don't know if I'm in Indiana or not anymore. It's so hot!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 62,786 times
Default It's OK to hate Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I too, withdraw from this thread. To have someone following me all over City Data and then saying I am negative, because I have a different viewpoint, ends this for me. One hostile poster is too much for me.

Twix!!!
It's OK to hate Indiana. Heck, sometimes I hate it, too. Hot summers, cold winters, not enough money no matter how hard you work, nasty people, shady politics, and boooooring. BUT, there's something so down-to-earth about Indiana I just can't put into words. Sure it's a lousy Midwestern state, but there are days when I look out the window and the air is so sweet and I feel I'm home. I may not be in love with Indiana, and sometimes I get so frustrated here I swear I'm going to move away as fast as I can, but it's home and I can't change what I am. Indiana's a part of me. I never get offended when people knock Indiana because I know how hard it is to live here.
Hoosier Mama --Bloomington

Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM

231 posts, read 701,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier812 View Post
Twix!!!
It's OK to hate Indiana. Heck, sometimes I hate it, too. Hot summers, cold winters, not enough money no matter how hard you work, nasty people, shady politics, and boooooring. BUT, there's something so down-to-earth about Indiana I just can't put into words. Sure it's a lousy Midwestern state, but there are days when I look out the window and the air is so sweet and I feel I'm home. I may not be in love with Indiana, and sometimes I get so frustrated here I swear I'm going to move away as fast as I can, but it's home and I can't change what I am. Indiana's a part of me. I never get offended when people knock Indiana because I know how hard it is to live here.
Hoosier Mama --Bloomington
What??? There is a lot to do in Indiana. Get some brochures of differnt counties, and you'll see there is stuff to do and explore there. I do get offended when I keep reading stuff on these forums and people talk so bad about Indiana and the people in it. I don't know what kind of town or city some of these people grew up in, but I grew up in a great town. The great town of Lafayette. People are friendly, not all but most. I wouldn't be affraid to walk up to a complete strangers house if I was lost and ask for directions. See I did move away, and I miss it terribly. I miss the creeks and rivers that are not alligator infested. I miss the smell of the cornfields. There are alot of things I miss about Indiana, I just wanted to name a few. For me other states are hard to live in, but not Indiana. Someone once posted saying if your not from Indiana you probably won't like it here. My husband is not from Indiana and he actually likes Indiana. He really likes Lafayette and West Lafayette. He did think it was strange though, in the middle of a 4-way stop surrounded by cornfields, there was a seat-belt check point. See those are the kind of things that make me chuckle, only in Indiana. I Love It!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana