Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:52 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I just feel neutral about Indiana. I don't love it or hate it. There is nothing compelling about it keeping me here, beyond the fact that I have to wait for my tax check to come in to move elsewhere. I don't think where I am going is OMG11!!!!111! SO MUCH BETTER 10090482590%%%, but it is a better fit in terms of my and my husband's lifestyle and what we want from an area.

I would recommend Indiana for people looking for a quiet, stable place to raise their families. That is what it is.
EXACTLY!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 154,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm from New Albany which is next to Louisville, KY and I am somewhat suprised at how many people I talk to seem like they really love living around here. I'm not really posting this to rant or anything I'm just wondering what makes people like it so much? Is it something that I don't see or what? The cost of living is reasonable I guess but after seeing some other cities in other parts of the country, the Louisville area is far behind.

I am planning to move away to the Dallas/Fort Worth area within a year or two, likely permanantly. I grew up here and never liked it at all. I don't like the weather, it gets too cold in the winter time and the early spring and late fall are usually pretty much too cold too, making for about 5 months of cold weather. I don't mind the heat in the summer I just don't like the cold. Another reason is that I don't think there is much at all to do around here. I am a huge sports fan and hate not having any pro sports teams. Yeah you have U of L but A) I don't like them and B) I'm much more of a pro kind of person. The Bats are a joke to me although I would agree that they have made the best out of what they have. For triple A, the stadium is pretty nice. I just never did like it around here. Am I missing something or are the people too narrow minded to see that there are better places or maybe this is just where they are from and don't know any different?

I in no way am intending to offend anyone or start anything up... I'm just seeing if anyone else views it the way I do.
Gee, how old are you? I'm guessing early 20s. You sound like you just don't know enough yet. You know, just because you don't like it here doesn't make those who do like it idiots. Yeah maybe you are missing it but maybe you have to be gone to appreciate it. You won't believe this probably but you'll appreciate what you had in Indiana after you leave. I hated it when I was in HS but now 20 years later, I'm still here and it's not so bad. If this is the only place you've lived and you hate it so much, by all means go out and find your "better" place. I think you need to leave sooner than later. Why two years? But I can't believe you think going to Dallas is going to be "it". Good luck. I hope you aren't wrong. It may be years from now but chances are you'll come back. Yes cost of living is a big deal as you're trying to raise a family and save for the future. As they say the grass seems always greener on the other side. Have you read the posts on the Texas forum? Traffic, more crime, heat? Educate yourself before you make the big move. Make sure "the other side" is really better than where you are now.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 AM

667 posts, read 2,880,466 times
I like it here in Indy. Would I like to move? Hell yes, but not because of the state. I would love to move to the hills of VA, but due to lack of employment outside of the mines I'm staying here. The hills of KY are also appealing to me, but for now I'm content in Indy.

My best advice to you about moving? Don't. Join the Army instead and they'll pay you to travel.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 44,226 times
I was born in Chicago but moved to Indiana in the mid 90's. First to Gary, IN which wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. But I thought of it as temporary until I could save enough to move to a better area. And 5 years later I did just that and purchased a house in Portage, IN.
I thought it was a wonderful place. Quiet. Friendly neighbors. Great house. Light traffic. Close to the sites and sounds of Chicago. And the list goes on and on.

However because of my job I had to move to Des Moines, IA. While it's not bad. It's not Portage. I'm still hoping to make my way back to Portage one day. And in my mind that day can't come soon enough.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:05 PM

198 posts, read 908,439 times
Sometimes people move for jobs, family or for other factors related to life situations. Other times people move for the wrong reasons. If I am not an outgoing socialble person, does it really make sense to rant and rave about another place if I dont even get off of my couch here? I believe you should always follow your dreams, if you want to move, then do it. Experience this world and dont hold back due to fear. What you do can always be reversed, or it has no other choice but to get better. I am leaving Indy because of lack of employment opp (compared to other areas), better school districts, a better geographical location (close to beaches and mountains) and a more educated area with more colleges and univ. w/ a clear emphasis K-college on educating and retaining people. This is why. What works for you in Dallas may not work here. Traffic, heat, etc....someone else may think the same about Indy if they came from ....Idaho. Everything is relative to what you would like to experience or have experienced. So while Indy hasnt been for me these 16 years, it may be for someone else. No, I dont like it, but I dont really like the Midwest either. Do what works for you. That's the only one who matters...but never settle or your soul will never rest.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM

305 posts, read 1,612,686 times
A good dose of wanderlust is a good thing. It helps you appreciate where you are from, but also there is a big world out there. Explore. Basically, it's what you make of the place that's important. Cities are similar in many aspects. You can find the good in them and choose to dwell on that or you can find the bad and dwell on that.

I live in Indy, but occasionally travel to Louisville. I really like Louisville, there are some neat places to go and plenty of nice parks and the golfing is cheap. To me Indy is much more corporate than Louisville and so a lot of the downtown things to do are expensive. Broad Ripple is good though and a little more reasonably priced. Both places have good art districts and I would give the edge to Louisville as being more progressive.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:57 PM

11 posts, read 49,623 times
I totally agree with you! I am originally from north eastern Indiana and never knew anything other than that. After 37 years, I moved to southern Nevada. All I can say is that sometimes, and in my case, "the grass is definitely greener".

Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,016,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK85 View Post
I totally agree with you! I am originally from north eastern Indiana and never knew anything other than that. After 37 years, I moved to southern Nevada. All I can say is that sometimes, and in my case, "the grass is definitely greener".
Ummmmmmm,,, could that be because you live,,, in a desert?!?!?

j/k

Old 06-29-2007, 07:31 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,016,115 times
Those who know me, can still, even after a couple years, not believe that I moved back to Indiana, back to the wind-swept, bitterly cold, northeastern tundra of Indiana. Me, the mountain goat, the guy who chases waterfalls, goes caving, who loves the outdoors, the ruggedness of the Ozarks and the TAG area [TN-AL-GA]... I moved back to here. However, besides all of the things that I am missing in my heart/soul so bad being here, there is a quiet beauty of this area - and being in Noble County, where there are some soft rolling hills, thanks to the glacial remnants, the land here has some nice character. Schools are very good. Black Pine animal preserve is just down the road. Also close to Ft Wayne, and all that it has to offer - festivals, Komets & Wizards, zoo, shopping, restaurants, medical, etc. Indy, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, and the Dunes are just a couple-few hours away. Some cool state parks, good paved roads, and the fun of snow in the winter... Guess point here, as others have well said above - there is much to be found in whatever area you live, its up to you to be happy; ya only live once. So, to answer the query of this thread - no, as I do like living here in Indiana [just, please, don't tell my hillbilly friends... ]

Old 06-29-2007, 07:55 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times
I guess I can understand someone who has never lived anywhere, or experienced life outside of the Hoosier state could be wondering what they are missing. I'm fortunate that I was able to get out and explore when I was in my wild 20's. I don't feel like I'm missing anything by living back in the state of my birth.

Or maybe it's this second glass of cheap red wine talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana