Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Job market here is terrible. Even with a profession, there are few jobs in it. People will claw you to keep you from their job.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 12,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I have 31 years of experience in Indiana "living" so I would say my OPINION is valid, just like yours. On the contrary, I am not "miserable." Just because I feel the need to better myself by leaving the midwest does not make me "miserable." It does not make me any better than anyone either, it simple means I know what I need to do. I'm very happy that some of you have found contentment in this state, great for you!!! Tell all your friends how wonderful it is here. I, on the other hand, have different feelings so when someone asks ME about Indiana I will tell them my opinion.
As far as Indiana being fat, it's true. It's also in the top 5 for most smokers. Those things aren't what drive me out of here though, all states have there own problems IMO. Us "hoosiers" who are moving and don't like this state are not trying to team up on you who do like it here. Theres less of us so it's just nice to have a few others who understand. Is that so wrong? To be listened to?
I clap my hands for you Jake because you have spoken the truth. As mean as this is going to sound, I have no idea why people are getting so bunched up about the fact that there are indeed people who don't like living in this state or to put it better, don't like the thought of being stuck here for the rest of their lives.

I have no intentions or desire to makes this my perminate base for the rest of my life. There is much more to the world than 'good ol' Indy' and quite frankly, with the things are going with our econmy and things here on the West side of Indy, seeing the world seems to be the best opition because as my mother put it, this place will kill you.

I'm not saying that I've never had any good experiences here but sadly, those times were during my childhood when Indy was booming. A trip to the west side will show you nothing more than vacent strip malls and buildings, cash/pawn places and other signs that our econmy is basically tanked as of now. Its also sad that I can't get a decent job here nor can I find one if a place that I'm applying for is going to close in a matter of weeks.

Basically, the entire city/state really needs to rethink its goals on becoming a so-called 'world class city'. I can't believe that it took Indy THIS long to realize that the area around the track lacks so much when it comes to tourism (have you seen those hotels and the little Speedway village?? O_o) and being a person who is more into arts and entertaiment than sports or the new dome, I just feel out of place. Don't get me wrong; the art scene in Indy is....good, but it lacks and it just feels like no one here eve gives a damn about art here except for the few artist who are stuck here.

As much as it must pain uber-Indy fans to hear this, Indy isn't the best place for me and I've lived here since before I was even a thought in my parents mind. They were both born here as well so they've been through the state's ups and downs and frankly, they want to get the heck out too.

Heck, Mr. Vonnegut got of here as well didn't he?

I'm with so many others on this board who want to get a taste of life outside the Hoosier state because frankly, the taste of Indiana has gone stale on my tongue. Sure we will come back and visit, but we have other places to go and see. Maybe if things improve (Ballard, I'm lookin' at you) we may change our minds but for the time being, no; we DON't like living here.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM

260 posts, read 1,346,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessbUnnie View Post
I clap my hands for you Jake because you have spoken the truth. As mean as this is going to sound, I have no idea why people are getting so bunched up about the fact that there are indeed people who don't like living in this state or to put it better, don't like the thought of being stuck here for the rest of their lives.

I have no intentions or desire to makes this my perminate base for the rest of my life. There is much more to the world than 'good ol' Indy' and quite frankly, with the things are going with our econmy and things here on the West side of Indy, seeing the world seems to be the best opition because as my mother put it, this place will kill you.

I'm not saying that I've never had any good experiences here but sadly, those times were during my childhood when Indy was booming. A trip to the west side will show you nothing more than vacent strip malls and buildings, cash/pawn places and other signs that our econmy is basically tanked as of now. Its also sad that I can't get a decent job here nor can I find one if a place that I'm applying for is going to close in a matter of weeks.

Basically, the entire city/state really needs to rethink its goals on becoming a so-called 'world class city'. I can't believe that it took Indy THIS long to realize that the area around the track lacks so much when it comes to tourism (have you seen those hotels and the little Speedway village?? O_o) and being a person who is more into arts and entertaiment than sports or the new dome, I just feel out of place. Don't get me wrong; the art scene in Indy is....good, but it lacks and it just feels like no one here eve gives a damn about art here except for the few artist who are stuck here.

As much as it must pain uber-Indy fans to hear this, Indy isn't the best place for me and I've lived here since before I was even a thought in my parents mind. They were both born here as well so they've been through the state's ups and downs and frankly, they want to get the heck out too.

Heck, Mr. Vonnegut got of here as well didn't he?

I'm with so many others on this board who want to get a taste of life outside the Hoosier state because frankly, the taste of Indiana has gone stale on my tongue. Sure we will come back and visit, but we have other places to go and see. Maybe if things improve (Ballard, I'm lookin' at you) we may change our minds but for the time being, no; we DON't like living here.
While I will agrre that this place is not for everyone, to say there are no jobs or that the city is in decline could not be further from the truth. Although there are some companies moving out or closing their doors, this has more to do with the national econmy right now than anything local. There are several projects under way as we speak that are bringing jobs to this city. Re development is abundant, and thing continue to get better all the time.

As for the speedway area, yeah, I've always felt the same way as far as the surrounding area being less than desirable, but I will tell you this...I have hosted a houseful of guests from out of state and even out of the country for the last 7 yrs during the Fomula One race...these guests were die hard F1 fans that have traveled to several races in many countries over the years, and they all spoke nothing but praise to our city and the IMS for the way they hosted this international event. They were sad when the news came that it will not be returning in 2008, but hope that it may one day return. Another thing to remeber about this re development, the job that IMS has done to bring more events to the speedway....Brickyard, F1, and now the motrocylce grand prix that will be here next yr, have all been contributing factors as to why NOW they can finally talk about spending the massive amounts of money required to undertake this type of development, which has actually been in the works for some time, but it takes time to design.

I would encourage you or, or anyone else who has lived here their whole life, or anywhere their whole life, to get out and see someplace new and different. You can't really judge until you have. I think you will find that even if Indiana is someplace you never wish to return, you will also find it is not such a bad place either. I've lived several other places, and sometimes wish I still did! I realize and understand it may not be everyones cup of tea, but all in all, this place has alot offer. It may not be the best place to live, but I can tell you it is far from the worst.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 AM

260 posts, read 1,346,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
Indianapolis I believe is the name, a large city but to me its really nothing. I would dislike to see my city grow large but have the feeing of nothing. Again Indiana its so odd, its just something about it. Its like a place that may have what you want but you dont want it there.... difficult to explain at the moment
Probably difficult to explain becuase you've never been there....much less even know the name.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 12,300 times
I'm not quite certain where the "trolling" ego came up other than some defense mechanism. Nonetheless my email says there are answers to "my(?)" post... this one. Indiana has a lot of nice folks from all different walks of life and education. Unfortunately, those who underachieve far outweigh the academics. This is not just Indiana, but all over, save perhaps Japan...
The state has opportunities but likely more barmecides. I recommend finding a crib then purvey your own self will. That means, of course, learning to get along with folks of both lesser and greater brilliance. Along with that is download a copy of the Indiana Trial Rules and study them. That and a general knowledge of civil law can get you quite a good way when dealing with those who defame and otherwise violate your rights.
Indiana or wherever; go prepared. Preparedness means being aware that if you sue someone, they might get a local lawyer. Know that you can get their lawyer fired by bringing contempt charges against them. if they are valid. Don't be afraid to sue someone from online if their behavior violates your 1st ammendment rights. As long as you don't attach any more of a dollar amount to the case besides the costs, you will likely win. Keeping it all concise and to the point.

Good luck living anywhere but Indy is a really nice and reasonably safe place to live...

Dr. C.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 80,279 times
Default I agree

I am not from Indiana, although I have lived here before and for the last 7 months. I dislike it a great deal. Boring, dull little to do and I call it Hoosier Hee-Haw Hell. While I agree about the winter I can still tell you that I wouldn't move over it. I grew up in the midwest and can take the cold. I hope you enjoy Texas if you go there, I can not imagine ever wanting to move to a state that produced W. Just a personal opinion, move to New Mexico or Arizona instead, better culture.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
As a Hoosier living abroad, I'd just like to add my two cents here. To sum it up simply, I miss Indiana. I miss it terribly. Everything from our pseudo-Southern Knox county accents to the flat fields that stretch out for miles all around you. I miss country roads and backwoods. I miss the simple life that I had there, and I'd give anything to go back. Right now, it's not entirely feasible. I've spent the past six years moving from place to place, living a real nomad's life. If you name a place, I've probably been there. And none of them have seemed or even come close to feeling like home. I always thought, when I was younger, that I'd be happy if I got out of hickville... and now all I really want to do is go back.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Anytime you're able... we'll be here!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM

272 posts, read 784,461 times
I love Indiana....particularly Southern Indiana.
My folks who are both from Lake County Indiana, moved out to California in 58'. I was born and raised in the S.F. Bay Area and suffered with it for decades before realizing that the Bay Area was irreversibly twisted and degenerate beyond all description and simply NOT a good place to live....let alone the COST of staying there!....I've lived in many places...Montana, Texas, Alabama....but Indiana just seems to suit me....[I've just recently moved 'back' to Indiana....]
Being in the Service was a nightmare in the Bay Area....in Indiana people either were nice to me or had the common decency and common sense to leave me alone if they did not like Service Personnel...Not so in the Bay Area...
Indiana is much more of a REAL place to live...California in general and the LA and SF areas in particular absolutely THRIVE on being weird, fake and political....Indiana is much more down to earth!

And to all those that can't wait to get to "cali" because they crave the urban-hipster grunge life....GO FOR IT....here...take my seat! The more of you that 'flow' to the coast...the better the rest of the country.....

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 01-16-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: ...wheell-kom...to Khali-phor-nyah.....

Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM

116 posts, read 448,704 times
I lived in Indiana in elementry school and then for about a year as a teen and hated it. Maybe it was the people I was around,but I don't miss any of it. Hopefully, there is more to do there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana