Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I am originally from Indiana. I never post in this forum because it really isn't that busy and I just don't pay attention to what is happening back home.

I left two and a half years ago with my wife. I recieved a job with Progressive Insurance based here in the Cleveland area. Indiana has a lot of great qualities, great livable areas, and some of the best people you will meet. Indiana just wasn't for me I guess. You have some of the best colleges in the Midwest there, and in my opinion good topography. It wasn't until I moved to Ohio and realized how "flat" Indiana was. And everyone's opinion here in Cleveland is that Indiana is nothing but farms.

Cleveland is a great urban experience for me and my wife. I love having everything in big city ammenities that I didn't find in Anderson (my hometown), and even in Indy. I love being able to get on the rail and ride wherever I need to around the city. Having awesome entertainment districts and neighborhoods that are well established. Billions of dollars in new investments and projects. Cultural institutions that rival that if Philadelphia and Boston. The Cleveland Orchestra and Cleveland Museum of Art are top-notch institutions. Cleveland's metro park system is one of the best in the country. I can drive 30 minutes south from my home here in Rocky River and be at a national park... in a metro area of 3 million. Great hospitals that are being built left and right in large part because of Cleveland being home to University Hospitals and The Cleveland Clinic. Having Playhouse Square which is the second largest performing arts district in the country after New York is nice too because of everything you can see. So far, in the last couple of years, I love it. It has everything we were looking for.

Indiana will always be home. I will stick up for it when need be. But I moved on. But overall, I liked living in Indiana, and wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else.
My situation is actually opposite of yours -- I spent most of my childhood in Ohio, including a 2-year stint in suburban Cleveland. Cleveland does possess all of the qualities you state, although I would argue that the RTA train system is not THAT extensive. It is better than all others in the Midwest outside Chicago.

That Clevelanders would think that Indiana is nothing but farms is amusing considering that Ohio, while more urban than Indiana, is chock full of farms.

Overall, though, I don't find the states to be too dissimilar, so I tend to get really peeved when I see Ohioans on C-D try to pass themselves off as so superior to their western neighbor. I'll always consider myself a Buckeye, but I feel like I have a good life in Indiana. And given that my wife and sons are Hoosiers, I'm probably set here for a long time.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
My situation is actually opposite of yours -- I spent most of my childhood in Ohio, including a 2-year stint in suburban Cleveland. Cleveland does possess all of the qualities you state, although I would argue that the RTA train system is not THAT extensive. It is better than all others in the Midwest outside Chicago.

That Clevelanders would think that Indiana is nothing but farms is amusing considering that Ohio, while more urban than Indiana, is chock full of farms.

Overall, though, I don't find the states to be too dissimilar, so I tend to get really peeved when I see Ohioans on C-D try to pass themselves off as so superior to their western neighbor. I'll always consider myself a Buckeye, but I feel like I have a good life in Indiana. And given that my wife and sons are Hoosiers, I'm probably set here for a long time.
Yes, Ohio has a lot of farms, but so do a lot of other states in this vast region of the country. Ohio's topography is a lot more diverse than Indiana's. And Ohioans in general do not act superior at all to Indiana; on city-data, that is another story. I don't see how it is ammusing when I talk to Clevelanders about Indiana. It is a very urban area, and when Indiana comes to mind it is mostly rural farmland, and growing up there, I can't argue that. Cleveland's rapid is extensive enough. I can go down to the downtown station and go all the way out to the airport if need be. First city to link its airport to downtown via rail. I never had this option anywhere in Indiana.

Both states are similar, and if I had to pair Ohio to a twin, it would easily be Indiana. If Indiana had more urban and dense areas, not doubt it would be like Ohio. The only thing is topography wise. Indiana doesn't have an area like SE Ohio.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Indiana doesn't have an area like SE Ohio.
Not exactly true. While it's not as large an area, drive I-64 between Louisville and Evansville.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Not exactly true. While it's not as large an area, drive I-64 between Louisville and Evansville.
Yup. I went on a mini-day trip to S. Indiana, from Louisville to the Lincoln Boyhood Home. I was actually kinda shocked to see the topography of I-64. I recall seeing similar topography driving I-74 into Ohio to visit King's Island. Growing up my entire life in flat Pavement City (Indy metro area), it is nice to see some different topography in the state. After some traveling, and taking time to look around a bit, I know that Indiana officers lots of different types of land. I went to Brown Co. SP a few years ago...hadn't been there for over 10 years. I was actually shocked to see the difference in elevations. I just don't remember the park being like that back during the high school field trips. It was so nice, that I have made it a goal to get a state park yearly pass and start visiting parks to do some hiking. I like hills, wilderness, and mountain areas. Unfortunately, I only vacationed to such areas when I was younger, and not really of the age to really grasp the views of these areas.

I have also had similar mislead beliefs of different areas of the country. I never knew E. Kentucky had some cool areas like Red River Gorge. I never knew that S. Illinois also has some cool areas like Shawnee Nat'l Forest area. The problem is that folks see movies, TV shows, and certain stories and they paint these areas as what they see. I'm shocked that Alabama isn't just flat like I thought. The entire Cheaha state park area is amazing, and really reminds me of E. Tennessee. I always thought that most of Ohio, Illinois, Alabama, and Georgia were flat like Indiana. Oh, the Hocking Hills area of Ohio look neat as well.

It is actually nice to see some cool areas that I like so close to home. Not too much a drive for an extended weekend getaway.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewildered homeowner View Post
i havent read any posts in thread yet and wish not to. I only wish to add my 2 cents without it being governed or influenced.
Moving back to Indiana has been the death of me. I am originally from Fort Wayne, left when i was 8 , and moved back Oct 2009 to Marion, IN.
You would think that a Native Hoosier like myself, whom is also a disabled Veteran would have no problems living here but unfortunately that has been proven false. People here still think its 1940 and they are racially better than another, abuse their appointed positions to constrict others of their rights and it is obvious in public shopping /restaurants too.
I bought a home in Marion oct 2009 i have yet to be able to live in, its now Jan 2011. Code officers and Health Department seem to pick and choose whom has to follow the rules , who dont and who to make an example/political patsy out of. I didn't mention yet i am also half hispanic half white, ohh am i the flavor of the month to these cowards!!!
Do i enjoy the natural beauty of Indiana , my God yes. its simpleness? yes but it would be nice to have more to do. being treated like a third rate citizen in the state i was born in, in the country i served 8 yrs for and gave up my health for? NO. I am 100% disabled Vet, but cannot get a permit for $80 worth of plumbing so i can use a toilet in my home!!!!!!!! i say Indiana is best served being paved over to make a gigantic parking lot for Ohio and Illinios. its a shame too there is much wonderful history , natural beauty and peace to be found here, but i cannot enjoy any of it due to narrow minded bigots , rednecks, and sunday christians.
I moved back to Indiana and I would say the same. I am counting the days until I finish up at Ivy Tech so I can get the hell out of here. I have even considered just going for certificate to train for a new career and leaving ASAP. I am actually considering quitting school, running away, and living out of my car. Yes, things are that bad for me.

I am stuck living with family because I can't even get an interview for a minimum wage job. In AZ, I had at least 6 interviews for jobs pay $30,000+ year. My family drives me nuts. They fight so bad, I actually considered calling the cops. I am always nervous and scared. My hair has started falling out. I miss the days of when I used to only see my family once or twice a year and didn't have to worry about them.

Plus, it so lonely for me here. I am a 30 year old, childfree, single woman. "Like OMG you are still single at 30." This is the attitude of most people here. They wonder why I am not married and toting a stroller with three kids. Like, I haven't found the right person yet. It makes it hard to make friends. I don't feel like I fit in here. I don't enjoy spending Saturday nights on CD.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:33 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,986 times
We moved from to AZ from Indiana, and one thing I really appreciate is the more open attitudes and friendliness of the West. I have no doubt that subversive racism is felt there. We are caucasian, but I don't want my children to become racist. We were luckily in the Fort so attitudes are BETTER if not unspoken at least. But I know the outlying country areas can be pretty backwards/Its beautiful but narrow minded.
I can say that if I were in a mixed race/ interracial marriage I would most certainly take a hard look at relocating to the West. In terms of cost of living though, IN cannot be beat. Sorry things are tough bluebelt and bewildered. Hope it gets better for both of you! Just try to remember that you are enlightening people by your very presence, if that helps at all.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post

Plus, it so lonely for me here. I am a 30 year old, childfree, single woman. "Like OMG you are still single at 30." This is the attitude of most people here. They wonder why I am not married and toting a stroller with three kids. Like, I haven't found the right person yet. It makes it hard to make friends. I don't feel like I fit in here. I don't enjoy spending Saturday nights on CD.
Is this a rural area of Indiana? Unforunately, the social culture in the rural Midwest is still extremely paternalistic as well as natalistic. I have never understood the pressure for getting married and having kids at a young age. I would think the focus in this economy would be increasing ones education, getting a good job, and becoming financially secure- before pursuing the above mentioned two goals that some strive to achieve. The brain drain definitely exists in this state, even though some don't want to admit it. The higher achievers tend to leave for greener pastures. I know I will probably move back to the coast in a few years.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,748 times
Quote:

I am well over 30 ,childfree,single and loving it .If someone wants to judge you because you don't have kids then they are worth my friendship.

Last edited by edwardianlady; 01-30-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 05:09 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I think the pressure to have kids is due to there not being a lot else for adults in Indiana to do.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I think the pressure to have kids is due to there not being a lot else for adults in Indiana to do.
Couldn't disagree more. Furthermore, there's a lot worse out there.

I've run across plenty of childless people in their 30s, and I don't know anyone who thinks less of them for it. To the extent that the pressure to get married and have kids exists more in rural areas, I don't see how rural Indiana is different from any other state's rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana