Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 AM
JLT

7 posts, read 25,954 times

Advertisements

WOW, I was reading this post because I was considering moving to Indiana. But after reading Chicken Man's post ..................... I am definitely moving to Indiana! I'm from Louisiana. Looks like I'd be right at home! LOL

Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,020 times
Hello, I'm in Texas. I was born here, but my mother is from Indiana. My grandmother is from near Louisville (sp?), or was. She has passed away. She would say how she loved that there were actual seasons there. She missed the beauty of the leaves changing color. Texas is hot and hotter most of the time. It has not snowed where I am in any measure since the mid 1980's. I've been in the military and seen a lot. I've lived in a number of places, including Alaska. I joined this so I could post a reply. Before my grandmother died, we went back to see her home and family there. We visited the grave of her brother and stayed with his wife and saw family there. The seasons were just starting to change. I enjoyed the beauty of the area and I too miss the seasons changing. I have bought a home in Indiana just last night/this morning; won on e-bay. It is small, but it is where my mom was born and within 20 minutes from where my grandfather went to college. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a teaching position there. There is something completing about completing the circle in life. We often want what we don't have, just remember that there are many things you may take for granted and find you miss; more then what you moved to find. Just thought I'd share. Thank you for listening.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,702 times
I just moved to Dallas 6 weeks ago. I have lived my entire life in Indiana and am really enjoying the change of scenery. I love having so much to do with great restaurants, shopping, etc. Indianapolis does not offer what a large city can offer. The school systems in the area I am living are much better than the Indianapolis area. Indianapolis seems to be falling apart with the crime rate, outrageous rise in property taxes, lack of rain, etc. I couldn't be happier having left although I do miss my family in Indy. Good luck in Dallas and it will be whatever you make of it!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,013,707 times
machtranscobra - . Best of luck to you! While some may see just what appears to them weeds in the field, or some other 'negative', others will see a pasture or a positive within an area. We are indeed all different, as are the varied areas in this country, even w/in a state, or heck even w/in a specific part of a state's region. Seems that so many people just want to see the glass as being half empty, that there is too much of this or that, w/o realizing the potential positives. Like I said in an earlier post, I really miss the hills and hollers of the Ozarks, or the waterfalls and mountains of the TAG [TN, AL, and GA] area - yet, I will admit that the NE flatlands of IN do have a soft and quiet charm to them, and there is still good stuff to be found herein. Guess I am just too durn optimistic/positive person... Yet, again, we are all different - just look at your post compared to dlee's - neither is wrong nor neither is right, both of yas are in Tejas, yet while one is moving to new bought home in Indiana to escape the heat, etc. of Tejas, the other loves being in Dallas, w/o much positive to say about Indy. Different perspectives, different desires, different lifestyles. Its all good, in some manner or shape.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,994 times
I think you have a good idea by moving to Texas. I know a few people (maybe, more then a few who were from IN. and moved on.

But,,most..came back !!!!!

I was one After living in the east,south and west....Happy to be back in the midwest. There is alot to do here and alot of really great people !
Good luck to you, Hope you find what ever your looking for.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indi131 View Post
I think you have a good idea by moving to Texas. I know a few people (maybe, more then a few who were from IN. and moved on.

But,,most..came back !!!!!

I was one After living in the east,south and west....Happy to be back in the midwest. There is alot to do here and alot of really great people !
Good luck to you, Hope you find what ever your looking for.
We are what Indianapolis Monthly has deemed us, Boomerang Hoosiers!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,229,551 times
This "boomerang Hoosier" has finally decided it's time to weigh in. Are there things I don't like about this state--sure--mostly the games the politicians play and the backwards, inefficiency of the government here, but that's another post. Like domergurl, I lived in the suburbs of Chicago for over 15 years. I'm sure like lots of our fellow Hoosiers my husband and I left the state to find jobs. About 6.5 years ago we decided it was time to come back home to IN. I jokingly tell people that I wasn't moving out into the rural area where he grew up, and he wasn't moving to Lake County where I was raised so we settled on Bloomington, home of our alma mater. Each area of this state is a bit different, but each has it's own beauty. I think what makes all of us Hoosiers is our down to earth attitudes. I'm not that old, but old enough to be a bit reflective about my life and gain some appreciation for my roots. Maybe there are better places. I don't know. For now, and for a long time, I'll be happy to stay here.

BTW--machtranscobra--your post gave me chills.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 637,006 times
I say go for it...try out Dallas for a bit. Why not??? Then, if you want to try something else, like Hawaii or Santa Barbara, CA...go for them, as well!!! I'm one of the apparently "rare on this thread" few who left Indiana for college in another state years back and NEVER looked back, except to go home, see family & friends, etc. For those who are happy in Indiana, well, you're a more contented person than I and God bless you. Yet, if you have a desire to see the rest of the world, even for a bit, please don't give into the fear of missing what you left (you can almost always go back...as some on this thread have done ). In my 20's, I lived in central Virginia, briefly in the DC area, Tennessee, Colorado, and finally California, which had been an absolute DREAM of mine. I am so glad that I finally made it to California, although my husband and I recently moved to Florida due to cost of living, to be closer to family, etc. (Incidentally, my parents finally left Indiana, too, and relocated to a warmer state.) For my life, so many friends and experiences wouldn't have happened for me had I stayed in Northern Indiana my whole life, not to mention I wouldn't have met my husband, as thankfully I did in San Diego years ago. I'm an independent dreamer and didn't want to get stuck in northern Indiana like my parents did for so many years due to the security of a job. That's likely what pushed me on to move to various places, usually without even a job lined up...but I was single at the time...the BEST time to check stuff out and see what's out there, so to speak. Obviously, once you get married and have kids, things often change, and coming back to your roots might be a good thing. I am so thankful that I don't have to wonder "What is it like to live in San Diego?"..."What if I had tried living by the Rocky Mountians?" and so on, though. This is something I'm passionate about and many people have probably thought of me as "brave"...but sometimes, you just HAVE to move on and try something. Follow your heart. (Like I said...you can always come home!)

Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 67,152 times
I was born in Miami, raised in Chicago and have been living in Indiana for 20 years I hate it!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get out of here! as a matter of fact I just graduated and am moving to Las Vegas in a few weeks! Maybe I am just a big city girl but I also hate this weather. I would rather have 100 degree weather than below 0 and snow!!!!! yuk!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 AM

95 posts, read 454,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonza View Post
I was born in Miami, raised in Chicago and have been living in Indiana for 20 years I hate it!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get out of here! as a matter of fact I just graduated and am moving to Las Vegas in a few weeks! Maybe I am just a big city girl but I also hate this weather. I would rather have 100 degree weather than below 0 and snow!!!!! yuk!
So the question remains; you hate it and have been in Indiana, let alone Chicago, for 20 years... but decided to stay and go to school.

I don't get it. If I hated some place I wouldn't stay there for 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana