Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You are making of fun for someone because they have a good memory?

I remember when I was in college in Evansville, a girl I worked with told me about her Dad who lived in the east side of Evansville. When I asked her about that maybe a year later, she thought I was stalking her too. Nope, I just have intellect and a memory.

You are right about one thing though, people change. The only thing that has not changed for you though, is that whether you are in Indiana, California, or back in Indiana, you are a complainer. Eventually one has to consider the possibility that maybe your surroundings are not the problem. Maybe the problem is you.
Telling me something I don't already know? I AM the problem. I know this. So for you and your cronies ill now shut my yapper. The end.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Maybe ill keep yapping though, its fun to be the bullseye in the dart board.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Ps- Multiple Personality Disorder is not banned from city data, that would be discrimination. Endure my insanity! Haha!....my marbles, oh I left em in CA!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
There is no perfect place, but add me to the list of people that do NOT like it here
I didn't like it here either when I moved back. I found a nice, supportive church here in Bloomington where I have met some wonderful people. I also did some temporary work and have been doing some freelance work as well. I mean, my circumstances aren't great as I still struggle a little financially, but I think it will get better. I am looking for more permanent work and possibly enrolling in school. I am looking at taking a CNA course since it seems like there is tons of work in this field. Yeah, I know it is a tough job, but I can't afford to move out-of-state just yet. I think anything is better than the unemployment line.

I truthfully think the perfect utopia doesn't exist. Happiness is a choice. I think I could learn to be happy anywhere. There is always something not to like about one area or the other. North Dakota has lots of work, but crappy winters. Hawaii has perfect weather, but an insane cost of living. Arizona is sunny all the time, but there is trouble at the border. I don't know if I will stay in Indiana or not, because I think a person really needs to live wherever they can find good career/employment opportunities. I think this is the most important thing when choosing where to live.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I didn't like it here either when I moved back. I found a nice, supportive church here in Bloomington where I have met some wonderful people. I also did some temporary work and have been doing some freelance work as well. I mean, my circumstances aren't great as I still struggle a little financially, but I think it will get better. I am looking for more permanent work and possibly enrolling in school. I am looking at taking a CNA course since it seems like there is tons of work in this field. Yeah, I know it is a tough job, but I can't afford to move out-of-state just yet. I think anything is better than the unemployment line.

I truthfully think the perfect utopia doesn't exist. Happiness is a choice. I think I could learn to be happy anywhere. There is always something not to like about one area or the other. North Dakota has lots of work, but crappy winters. Hawaii has perfect weather, but an insane cost of living. Arizona is sunny all the time, but there is trouble at the border. I don't know if I will stay in Indiana or not, because I think a person really needs to live wherever they can find good career/employment opportunities. I think this is the most important thing when choosing where to live.
Well Bloomington has college students too. which DOESN'T help
Hence why i prefer Indianapolis over bloomington.
When college students take all the jobs it just creates problems.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post

Good post. I'd like to add to it. Yes, being pro active and going out and trying to make your life better by doing things you like is the best way to make improvements to your life. I know too many people that are miserable where they live because they expect life to simply drop fun and entertainment and success right into their lap without having to work at it.

One caveat. For the above recipe to succeed you also have to be in an area where negative people don't attempt to rain on your parade. Unfortunately I live in such an area and I will be moving by the end of the year.

One of the aspects of living in central Indiana that I really like is that people are usually pretty positive and welcome new ideas at least where business is concerned. I have not run into the negative "can't do" attitude there when approaching people about an idea I have for a small business that will serve the city or community I choose. Conversely, I ran into nothing but negative attitudes when approaching people about it in the Kansas City area.

In a nutshell. Anyone that is miserable in central Indiana should try to find a way to make life more interesting and not rely upon others to provide your entertainment. Build a model train in your cellar. Put in a Pool or Ping Pong table and have some tournaments. Start a hobby club and build model airplanes and ships etc. You get the idea.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey_Slatraigh View Post
Everything in Indiana seems like its falling apart. They don't even have lights on that death-trap 20 Bypass. I've seen so many people turned over in ditches and dodging kamikaze deer on it, in the 6 months of my living out here. The house we're in now is like...someone tried to bandaid everything. Stuff is falling apart and everything is in disrepair and people don't want to work as hard out here, because they're getting slave wages. They say that Indiana is cheaper than Illinois. That's a load of crap. The only thing cheaper is rent/housing. You might not have to pay for vehicle stickers, or tax on new vehicles but you pay an insane fee for new plates on a new car. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice places to visit, but if I didn't have friends out here I wouldn't stay. They roll up the streets at 9:30-10 pm.
I agree with you on mostly all of that. The 20 Bypass is one of the scariest roads I've ever been on. Trucks going 70-80 even when its snowy/icy out, no streetlights, and a huge drop off on the side without a guardrail. Who the heck thought that up, I don't know and ... it's just bad.

Indiana hurts you in the pocketbook. NW Indiana at least is close to Chicago, but it will still cost time/money to get to Illinois for a well-paying job.

And there's nothing to do after 9pm unless you're in one of the college towns.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I agree with you on mostly all of that. The 20 Bypass is one of the scariest roads I've ever been on. Trucks going 70-80 even when its snowy/icy out, no streetlights, and a huge drop off on the side without a guardrail. Who the heck thought that up, I don't know and ... it's just bad.

Indiana hurts you in the pocketbook. NW Indiana at least is close to Chicago, but it will still cost time/money to get to Illinois for a well-paying job.

And there's nothing to do after 9pm unless you're in one of the college towns.
and Indianapolis too.
Indianapolis has plenty of nightlife for a city of 2M people.
Why do you think Indy was ranked as the 4th happiest city for young professionals? all the other 3 were in California.
so the only college town mentality is wrong.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I don't think the bypass is that bad. I've always thought it's weird that the Elkhart County portion has lights at the interchanges but the St. Joseph County interchanges are dark. I used to drive it all the time, day and night, and never felt like it was a dangerous road by any means. The exception is in the snow. I would avoid that road like the plague if it was snowy as I remember it always being notorious for being icy or snowed over. One of my scaryist drives ever was on a very snowy night on that road. It was about 11 PM, it was snowing hard and I was going from US 33 in Elkhart to 331 in Mishawaka. And with 3 inches of snow on a road that didn't seem to have been plowed, we just got in a line of cars and hoped that the people in front didn't lead us off the road. But seriously, other than those few snowy occasions, the bypass isn't bad at all.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
and Indianapolis too.
Indianapolis has plenty of nightlife for a city of 2M people.
Why do you think Indy was ranked as the 4th happiest city for young professionals? all the other 3 were in California.
so the only college town mentality is wrong.
Since when does Indianapolis have 2M people? Even if you add the population of every single county that touches Marion County, the most recent population estimates put it well under 2M. Marion County has about 911,000 people. Marion and all adjacent counties have about 1.7 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana