Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 13,286 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband finally accepted a job offer at Zimmer in Warsaw, IN and we will begin our relocation shortly. I've never been to Indiana before but I've done some searching in the city data website and understand its a bit countryish -which is great because I'd get to live in a nice big house with a lake view and what not .we'd be visiting the area soon to decide on a place to rent, we'd probably buy a house sometime in the near future but prefer to rent and explore the area first. So with my research online I figured the best areas would be Warsaw, Fort Wayne and Plymouth. I'm considering going to school sometime next year and thought plymouth would be a good midpoint. But I couldnt find a lot of renting options in there. Will we be able to rent a house? are there any houses in the downtown area where we can rent? I'm not expecting a huge crowd and fancy stores, just something to cater my caffeine addiction will be nice. I'd really appreciate any feedback on the area, culture, past time activities etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 PM

625 posts, read 1,802,462 times
Well Warsaw is generally small, I am thinking for you guys. It has everything content people could want; however, some people are used to more. Fort Wayne, which is the second largest city in Indiana, has an appeal for many people. It is about a 35 minute drive, but there is a major road US 30 that connects the two. I know many people who make the commute daily that live in Fort Wayne and work in Warsaw. As far as places to live, there are so many lakes around this area. Lake Wawasee, Syracuse Lake, Dewart Lake, and other places have many nice houses (kind of expensive) but with Zimmer I'm sure you won't have a problem with that

Basically, if you like bigger cities, Fort Wayne is for you. If your content with a lake house or something of that nature, the lakes around Warsaw and Syracuse are for you. I wouldn't recommend Plymouth, although is it pretty nice, because it is even smaller than Warsaw and i am not sure if the commute is worth it.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 19,654 times
Thanks for the reply cdr18, I think we might consider Warsaw and Fort Wayne. Also are there any websites where we can find rental home listings? I googled up and couldn;t find any.

We are planning to come up there next week and very excited =)

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 11,429 times
Just googled 'relocating to Warsaw' and saw your post. My husband also has accepted an offer at Zimmer and I have a lot of the same questions as you. Any luck finding rental listings? We're to be there by Aug. 2nd and we'll have 2 months of temporary housing in order to find a place.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,598,549 times
I would comb the local classified ads online. You could also take a stab at contacting a realtor to see if they could help you out ... you never know!

Denied:1up! Software ()

JournalGazette.net - home page | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN

You could also look into small towns like Milford, Leesburg, North Manchester, Columbia City and Plymouth.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Man apparently Zimmer is hiring again I don't know specific sites, but I would definitely go with the local classified sections as well. You will definitely have more selection in the Fort Wayne area than the Warsaw area. Generally speaking, Warsaw is pretty small despite the fact of all the commerical sectors of the city as well as the major companies of Zimmer, Biomet, and Depuy.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM

336 posts, read 923,970 times
Hi, we are also relocating, my husband got a job at Biomet. We have had a HORRIBLE time finding a rental house in the area we want in Fort Wayne. We have 2 dogs and 4 kids which makes it tough.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM

14 posts, read 68,858 times
Hi,

I've been in your shoes! We moved here from Chicago as my hubby was hired for Zimmer a couple of years ago. Initially we stayed at Kuder Apts. which I think is where they usually host people on a temp basis. The apartments are basic but do the job.

The Times Union is the local paper which you can look up the classified section to search for a rental. Unfortunately though there isn't much available from what I understand. You may want to talk to a local realtor since they may know of houses that are vacant which owners are willing to rent out until it sells.

The housing market has alot available here. You shouldn't have any problem finding what you want. We have become very fond of Lake Tippecanoe which is just north of Warsaw in a small town called Leesburg. It is an all-sport lake so the kids enjoy tubing etc. but my husband really enjoys fishing there. It is only about 15 minutes away from Zimmer which is much closer than Syracuse.

You also mentioned going back to school. Fort Wayne has several large colleges. (This is east of Warsaw, however I know you mentioned Plymouth which would be west.) I did a class through IPFW and they were great. There is also St. Francis. To commute to Ft. Wayne it will take u about 35 minutes or so.

The coffee addiction, I can relate to. When we did our tour through Warsaw, I asked where Dunkin Donuts was. They laughed but said there are several coffee shops that are in town mainly "Courthouse Coffee". It's not bad, but I love my Dunkin Donuts. Luckily there is one in Columbia City and I stop there whenever I go to Ft. Wayne.

The basics are here in Warsaw that you need. Initially I was in a bit of shock but have grown accustomed to the pace. All your basics that you need are here. Walmart, Kohls, Lowes and some restaurants. Winona Lake is very pretty and has some really cool specialty shops. I do enjoy going to Ft. Wayne for shopping.

I hope your move goes well. My only piece of advice is take your time with your home buying process. Zimmer wanted us to close by a certain date and we felt a little rushed. Sometimes I think if we had more time we might have made a different decision on our house. We tend to spend a lot of time on the south side of town due to our kids activities. We purchased on the northeast side. The commute can be quite a process at 5:00 p.m. when all the companies let out.

Good Luck and welcome to Warsaw.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM

245 posts, read 584,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Well Warsaw is generally small, I am thinking for you guys. It has everything content people could want; however, some people are used to more. Fort Wayne, which is the second largest city in Indiana, has an appeal for many people. It is about a 35 minute drive, but there is a major road US 30 that connects the two. I know many people who make the commute daily that live in Fort Wayne and work in Warsaw. As far as places to live, there are so many lakes around this area. Lake Wawasee, Syracuse Lake, Dewart Lake, and other places have many nice houses (kind of expensive) but with Zimmer I'm sure you won't have a problem with that

Basically, if you like bigger cities, Fort Wayne is for you. If your content with a lake house or something of that nature, the lakes around Warsaw and Syracuse are for you. I wouldn't recommend Plymouth, although is it pretty nice, because it is even smaller than Warsaw and i am not sure if the commute is worth it.
Actually,it's about 45 minutes from Warsaw to Ft. Wayne,depending on where you live in Fort Wayne.
It would be quicker if US 30 bypassed Columbia City and the speed limit was higher...but we can't all get what we want...LOL

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM

No kidding! while some of the intersections do need lights, I think some could manage on US 30 without them. However, it seems like every year they put up another light somewhere. ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana