U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,042 times

Advertisements

I've looked around the internet but can't seem to find an answer to my question. I was laid off of work roughly a month ago. I'm a graphic designer and I am searching for a full-time job, but I also am working on a freelance project in the $2500 range. I do not get paid until the job is complete and even then I don't know exactly when I will be paid for it. I go to file for unemployment this week via the online form for the first time and I'm confused as what to do. I worked on the freelance job this entire week and it is not finished, I'm charging a flat rate for the project, not by the hour. So I did work this week, but obviously didn't make any money that I can put in the bank. On the form they ask if you work and when you put yes they ask how much you made for the week even if you haven't been payed. To me that seems like a short term contract type employment for some employer, and not like my situation. Do I have to say I did any work since I'm not charging by the hour and don't actually know when I'll get paid for it. I could do a rough estimate of how much I earned based on the work in that week, but again since I'm charging a flat rate it would just be a guess. I'm wondering if they are going to freak out and rake me over the coals if I suddenly report $2500 one week when I finally do get paid for it, whenever that will be. I guess in my mind I would collect unemployment during the weeks I'm not actually getting paid, then whatever week I finally do get paid I would either report that income or not file for benefits that week. I'm confused, can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,042 times
Well I finally got through to the unemployment office after about 20 minutes of letting the phone ring. I was told by the person at the office that it should just be reported the week that I receive the money. Hopefully this will help anyone else that might be facing the same issue.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM

81 posts, read 259,488 times
Default collect benefits and report income as you make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboxl View Post
i've looked around the internet but can't seem to find an answer to my question. I was laid off of work roughly a month ago. I'm a graphic designer and i am searching for a full-time job, but i also am working on a freelance project in the $2500 range. I do not get paid until the job is complete and even then i don't know exactly when i will be paid for it. I go to file for unemployment this week via the online form for the first time and i'm confused as what to do. I worked on the freelance job this entire week and it is not finished, i'm charging a flat rate for the project, not by the hour. So i did work this week, but obviously didn't make any money that i can put in the bank. On the form they ask if you work and when you put yes they ask how much you made for the week even if you haven't been payed. To me that seems like a short term contract type employment for some employer, and not like my situation. Do i have to say i did any work since i'm not charging by the hour and don't actually know when i'll get paid for it. I could do a rough estimate of how much i earned based on the work in that week, but again since i'm charging a flat rate it would just be a guess. I'm wondering if they are going to freak out and rake me over the coals if i suddenly report $2500 one week when i finally do get paid for it, whenever that will be. I guess in my mind i would collect unemployment during the weeks i'm not actually getting paid, then whatever week i finally do get paid i would either report that income or not file for benefits that week. I'm confused, can anyone help me?

and they will adjust your check accordingly

Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,325,453 times
Jimbo-
I too, have had the same situation arise and thanks to another member of C-D, arrived at a satisfactory answer. I'm not too sure how the UI requirements in your state
are established and their relativity as to any considerations between actually getting your wages "in-hand" or receiving those wages at project's end but I must believe
that there is a clearly established policy. I worked for a month before receiving payment for my freelance project, (autocad drawings) for a design firm, an account on which
I worked for the first time and was apprehensive about even getting paid at all. My problem was that technically, I performed "work" each day of the week preceding the
final week and whether I received that pay "in-hand" was of no consequence to the unemployment office, whether or not I ever collected that money or not, was not their
problem but mine. Bear in mind that there is probably a 1099 being sent to the unemployment people, in your behalf, by the firm that employed you and that there will be a
record on file of the money that was paid to you. Although the 1099 will not list as like in an itemized invoice, the specific dates and hours that were worked along the way
to completion, make sure that when you do finally receive the check, that you can justify the total dollar amount as having been earned, over a one week period i.e.:
$2500.00 divided by 40 hrs. = $62.50 per hr. If you are receiving a maximum benefit because of the billet or job description that you occupied when you were employed,
the chances are that the people at unemployment will assign some credibility to the prospect, that you are worthy of the hourly wage that you are being paid. in any case,
I hope that you are able to make the transition from the workforce into the growing world of those of us who've become, "self employed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana