U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 AM

2,627 posts, read 383,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1951 View Post
Very good memories 50's 60's and downtown was the place. We would normally park at the Sear's store on Western Ave, eat in the car and walk to Michigan St. for shopping (also shop Sears of course or Robert Hall's). I remember that fish market. We never went into it much. Boy, Michigan St was busy--the traffic and people on the sidewalk. Jefferson and Michigan at Kresge's was really bad. There used to be a man with one leg sitting there selling the Tribune or pencils. Yes, the noise of the lunch counter at Kresge's echoed in the store with dishes and people. We might get a sub at the little snackbar in the back of Kresge's that had the big rootbeer barrel and a huge mural of downtown on the wall. Downstairs I spent a LOT of time waiting for mom or grandma getting permanents (also at the beautician school above Osco). I was allowed to go right outside the Kresge beauty shop and look at all of the fish and turtles. The State Theater was so huge, but I liked the Colfax better with the shiny brass and red carpets. Penny's had an elevator with a black woman operator for years. Penny's and Robertson's taught me what a mezzanine was. Grant's and Woolworth's also had big lunch bars. At noon, people would stand behind you waiting for you to finish. I believe it was Woolworth's that had oiled wood floors (Montgomery Wards in Niles had oiled wood floors and vacuum tubes for transactions). As a kid, it was fun to go downtown to shop--so much excitement and people.
We would go on Memorial Day normally to Rum Village for a picnic and maybe the zoo. Sometimes we would go to Potawatomi Park and that zoo. Then there was a park next to Shopper's Fair" (Playland Park I think) and the little amusement area. They had a merry-go-round with guns on your horses to shoot. Also there was a "tunnel of love' my parents would go on. It closed and most of it was turned into a 9 hole golf course. Lots of good family memories at these city parks.
wow, you nailed it. I do remember the man with 1 leg selling pencils there! He used to sit between Robertsons and Kresges, always seemed to be there. Kresges seemed to have everything, The big lunch counter, the fish and turtles, probably birds too! I used to love going into Sears as a kid and drooling over the Allstate mopeds, thought they were the coolest!. Then I would go to the Western Auto across the street and buy a new reflector or something for my bike.
I had forgotten about Playland Park, and the Shoppers Fair also, that was one of the first discount stores I remember. Anyone recall the Planters peanut shop on Michigan street with the big mechanical Mr. Peanut in the window? smelled so good in there. And all the pigeons that were on the sidewalk there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 PM

12 posts, read 16,587 times
just adding on....I think...haven't figured out where to put replies or add-ons to threads..... NOW YOU have reminded me of the Planter Peanut MAN that stood on the sidewalk...west side of Michigan St..and with a spoon handed out greasy, hot peanuts as you walked by. I think I am replying to Bill1951, or is it Slowesthand? best if it goes to both of you...maybe I added something new? ALSO.. walking in from the parking lot to Sears had to pass the Carmel Corn .....that is my only memory of Sears...the clothes and stuff were secondary.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM

just adding on....I think...haven't figured out where to put replies or add-ons to threads..... NOW YOU have reminded me of the Planter Peanut MAN that stood on the sidewalk...west side of Michigan St..and with a spoon handed out greasy, hot peanuts as you walked by. I think I am replying to Bill1951, or is it Slowesthand? best if it goes to both of you...maybe I added something new? ALSO.. walking in from the parking lot to Sears had to pass the Carmel Corn .....that is my only memory of Sears...the clothes and stuff were secondary.

just where do I reply??? keep sending two copies

Old 08-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Exclamation Don't know where to reply will keep sending both

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather52 View Post
I lived on West Washington Street in the 50's and started school at Pierre Navarre School and then Lafayette School. We moved to Granger Halloween weekend, 1959, where we stayed. I remember going shopping with my mom downtown South Bend at Robertson's and the neatest store - of course, I can't remember the name of it now! - but they sold all kinds of housewares and odds and ends cheap. I mostly remember cereal bowls from there with big flowers painted inside. Even as a kid, I liked going there and browsing the aisles.
I have a son-in-law that grew up on West Washington,...near Chapin.St. When my grand parents moved to So.Bend they lived just a few blocks up the street south on Chapin....then grandfather had a Tailor Shop a little further down south.....corner of Monroe??? long gone now.

I remember when there were 3 houses on So.Bend Avenue going thru Granger and I thought that was the only population....my sub teacher in Elementary school lived in one of them...Last time I was there Granger had exploded.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM

17,523 posts, read 23,544,280 times
I know it's in Mishawaka, but please tell me that Bonnie Doon is still there ..

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Default Canot answer

hi gurl,
Was there last weekend but not in right places... a couple years ago the one on Michigan WAS still there, but not been by there either.

Jim

Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM

the Bonnie Doones on Michigan St. was the hot spot to cruise through when we were in High school. The cars were lined up for for a couple of blocks for your chance to cruise on through. Then after you got through there you went down the street to Azars Bigboy and cruised through there also. then went around the block, back up to Bonnie Doones and started all over again!!
Wasn't life simlpe back then!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Cruising McKinley was THE thing to do when I was in high school.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Cruising McKinley was THE thing to do when I was in high school.
Bonnie Doones and Azars was sooo much cooler

Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 PM

We thought we were so cool when we'd go to Azars in high school and drink coffee ... This was before Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana