U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 856,664 times

Advertisements

can anyone recall channel 28? i think that was it. they had this little puppet character do the weather at night. It was called DD Donavon does the weather? It was like a dog dressed in a top hat and cloak if I remember right, and he would mispronounce words all the time. It was so funny back then, probably be lame now. but who knows, he might be better then some of todays weathermen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,656 times
i remember growing up on evergreen lane,one block west of lombardy dr. and sample st. we used to get the bus at lombardy,and take it to town for 5 cents. mom would give us 35 cents to go to the show. either the state,or the granada,or the colfax,or the palace. it would cost 20 cents to get in,and we could get pop-corn,and a soft dring,for about a dime. maybe some juicy fruits or juju-bees,that would get stuck in your teeth everytime. why in the hell we ever bought them i will never know! of couse there was milk-duds,that used to do the same thing. then after the show,we would walk down to the carmel corn shop,and the peanut shop to smell the great peanut smell! what a great town to grow up in the late 50,s and 60,s. christmas time was always great fun,and beautiful decorations. i live in osceola,now,but i sure miss the old town! anybody else? one of the greatest towns ever,untill they ruined it! god bless,rjm

Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
can anyone recall channel 28? i think that was it. they had this little puppet character do the weather at night. It was called DD Donavon does the weather? It was like a dog dressed in a top hat and cloak if I remember right, and he would mispronounce words all the time. It was so funny back then, probably be lame now. but who knows, he might be better then some of todays weathermen!
yes i remember it well! you are right it was better then some on tv now! thanks,for the memories!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
the Bonnie Doones on Michigan St. was the hot spot to cruise through when we were in High school. The cars were lined up for for a couple of blocks for your chance to cruise on through. Then after you got through there you went down the street to Azars Bigboy and cruised through there also. then went around the block, back up to Bonnie Doones and started all over again!!
Wasn't life simlpe back then!
yes i i do remember it. i would drive through with my 68 roadrunner,and look for sombody to race,and the partys were crazy! thanks,for the memories! rjm

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM

68 roadrunner!! wow you were really cruising in style back then! Do you recall the lot on the N.E. corner of Michigan st. and Ind, ave.....just up from Bonnie Doones. I think it was S&H green stamp, Top Value stamp redemption center. Alot of cycles parked there at night and hung out there, that was one of my hang outs too!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
I grew up in South Bend. Born in 1955 and went to St. Pat's grade school. We moved to Joliet from there though. My mom eventually moved back to South Bend. One fond memory is the Mr. Peanut shop downtown. I would walk there after school frequently. Also going to a lot of football games!!!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Martino View Post
I grew up in South Bend. Born in 1955 and went to St. Pat's grade school. We moved to Joliet from there though. My mom eventually moved back to South Bend. One fond memory is the Mr. Peanut shop downtown. I would walk there after school frequently. Also going to a lot of football games!!!
you could always smell the fresh warm peanuts there. I always likes to watch that big Mr. Peanut in the window as a kid!
Just around the corner from there was a shoe store my mom would take me to. I think it was called Red Goose or Buster Brown, or maybe both!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,411 times
Those brought back a lot of memories. I lived in North Liberty and as a kid would ride the bus from there to South Bend every week to take accordion lessons. After the lesson there was a lot of time ot kill before the bus home so every week I would save my money and head for the 'Philadelphia' ... those folks could do some really magical things with ice cream.

As a kid there were a lot of 'magical' things in South Bend. When I was around nine or ten my Grandpa told me to go get him a bus schedule and that we were going to see something special. Grandpa never drove a car so the bus was it. He checked the bus schedule, got my up early, and we were on the first bus in the morning headed for South Bend. Instead of riding it all the way to the bus station he had the bus driver stop on State Road 23 at Ewing Avenue. We got off, walked several blocks East, and there it was ... RINGLING BROTHERS CIRCUS. They had just started putting up the tents and Grandpa walked onto the big open field where they were setting up as if it was the most natural thing in the world ... with me wondering what kind of trouble we were going to get into.

My Grandpa had been a hobo for years and had worked the circus several times. As we walked through the elephants and crews setting up the tents he recognized someone ... who seemed to be in charge of crews driving stakes and laying out the canvas. It was like old home week between the two of them and I got the grand tour of how a circus works ... and how much work is involved in making it all look easy. Grandpa and I went to the circus every day they were in town, from the time they were setting up the tents until the had taken them down and were packing up. I don't know if Grandpa ever paid for an admission but to this day I remember what he told me ... "Billy, you can always go to the circus. Sometimes you can afford to sit front row, center ring. Other time you have to put up the tents up or sneak under the canvas ... but remember, you can always to the circus."

Thank you all for the memories you prompted with the places you mentioned ... but that trip to the circus is still my favorites.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,411 times
It was Inwood's and they had 'everything'. If I remember correctly they were close to the Gilbert's clothing store and on the West side of Michigan Street near Peltz music store. It's nice to think back about those times, thank you.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM

I kind of remember the circus being in the empty field on Kemble ave. where the national guard is now. Also have a very vague memory of the circus people walking the elephants from the train station up Kemble ave, to the field.

I also remember Gilberts men store, I think it was near Sample st. on Mich. st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana